Windows 10: Choose a default location when opening File Explorer

Discus and support Choose a default location when opening File Explorer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, Is it possible to choose a default location/folder to open when opening File Explorer from the task bar? Default is that it opens Quick... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MUZZIES, May 13, 2015.

1. MUZZIES Win User

Choose a default location when opening File Explorer

Hello,

Is it possible to choose a default location/folder to open when opening File Explorer from the task bar? Default is that it opens Quick access. I use OneDrive a lot, and would really like to see that I could set that to open that location.

Is it possible to set this? Would be a great feature if I can't already.

Thanks in advance.

:)

MUZZIES, May 13, 2015

2. Document Searches Open This PC Window

Hi Steve,

As the image that you have attached shows, it could be that the default application to open that file is set to open the file location that is why it opens the This PC window. To isolate the issue further, kindly try to search for that file name again and
    when the file shows up in the list, right-click on the file, choose Open file location. When File Explorer shows the location of the file, right-click on the file again and choose
    Open with... There should be a pop-up window that will appear for you to choose the application that you would like to open the file with.

Do get back to us with the results and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to post back.

Jomel_Santos, May 13, 2015
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer is "Working on it..."

When I opened File Explorer it said "working on it..." then shut down. Another forum suggested changing the default opening location from "Quick Access" to this "This PC". To do this open File Explorer from the start menu. For me it opened at "This PC"
    and stayed open. I went to options, changed the default location to "This PC" and it works.

MartinOlney, May 13, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, May 13, 2015
  5. I have just solved it my way. It might not be ideal for everyone, but it works for me.

Setup Windows Explorer to open to Downloads folder. Run in CMD:

Code: reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "LaunchTo" /t REG_DWORD /d "3" /f[/quote] Change Downloads folder location to your desired folder and that is it.

TairikuOkami, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Choose a default location when opening File Explorer - Similar Threads - Choose default location

2. "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..: I think the title sums up this annoying issue, but I'll elaborate anyway for the sake of clarity:When I right click on a program in the Start menu and click on "Open file location" it should, by right, open the location of the file, but it never does. It always opens the...
  3. Windows Explorer "Open file location" opens Search Results

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer "Open file location" opens Search Results: Try this: Open Windows Explorer Go to Quick access -> Desktop Right-click on empty area -> New -> Text Document Search "New Text Document" without quotes In the search results, right-click "New Text Document.txt" -> Send to -> Desktop create shortcut Go back to Quick access...
  4. File Explorer when opened, default cursor focus is going to search

File Explorer when opened, default cursor focus is going to search: Any time I open file explorer Windows + E, the cursor by default focusing on the search bar top right. Let us say If I want to quickly go to folder name starting with "K", I used to press K and it will highlight the first folder starting with K. But for the past few weeks,...
  5. Help choosing default app for files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help choosing default app for files: Hi, I have a good amount of webp images in my computer and I like to use the default Photos app to visualize them. I downloaded something called 'codecs webp' or similar so I could see my images on the default photo visualizer and it worked fine. Today, when I was going to...
  6. unable to choose a default app to open a file type

unable to choose a default app to open a file type: OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Education N OS Version: 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362 7/‎17/‎2019 Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 I restored file mapping to default via Default Apps Setting "reset to Microsoft recommended defaults"...
  7. Open File Location Does Not Display in File Explorer

Open File Location Does Not Display in File Explorer: I am using Windows 10 and OneDrive to store files offline because I have a tiny SSD hard drive. When I do a search for a file and right-mouse click to open the file location, because there are other files in that location that I am actually looking for, there is no option...
  8. File Explorer not opening when choosing from START

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer not opening when choosing from START: I'm curious if others are experiencing the following anomaly: 1) File Explorer is "pinned" to the Start menu (Windows 7 style view, i.e., not full menu) 2) File Explorer is opened from the Start menu (first time) -- File Explorer opens with no trouble or time delay 3) File...
  9. Can't choose default program to open files

Can't choose default program to open files: Hello, I have been living with problem for a while. When making any file like: .css, .html, .php, .js and then trying to open them it shows the "How do you want to open this file?" list from where I select the program, for example Sublime Text 3. I select the program, it...
  10. choose default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    choose default apps by file type: I want .tif and .tiff files to be opened by MODI. MODI is installed on my computer but does not show up as an option https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/choose-default-apps-by-file-type/a23e84d5-6337-4040-84b4-2b7902e0f665