Windows 10: Open to This PC or Quick access in File Explorer in Windows 10

Discus and support Open to This PC or Quick access in File Explorer in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Open to This PC or Quick access in File Explorer in Windows 10 Set File Explorer to Open to This PC or Quick access by Default in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Edwin, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Edwin New Member

Open to This PC or Quick access in File Explorer in Windows 10

How to: Open to This PC or Quick access in File Explorer in Windows 10

Set File Explorer to Open to This PC or Quick access by Default in Windows 10

Open to This PC or Quick access in File Explorer in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information In Windows 10, File Explorer opens to Quick access by default which shows your Frequent folders and Recent files.
    • Frequent folders = Displays up to ten folders that you frequently opened on the system.
    • Recent files = Displays up to twenty files that you most recently opened.
    This PC displays your Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Pictures, and Videos folders in addition to the usual devices and drives (hard drives, optical drives, and removable devices) and network locations.

This tutorial will show you how to set File Explorer to open to either This PC, Quick access, or Downloads by default for your user account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Set to Open File Explorer to Quick access in File Explorer Options
    • Option Two: Set to Open File Explorer to Quick access using a REG File

EXAMPLE: File Explorer opened to "This PC" and "Quick access"

OPTION ONE [/i] Set to Open File Explorer to Quick access in File Explorer Options
    1. Open File Explorer Options.

2. In the General tab, select Quick access (default) or This PC in the Open File Explorer to drop menu for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Set to Open File Explorer to Quick access using a REG File

Note The .reg files below will modify the DWORD value below in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

LaunchTo DWORD

1 = This PC
    2 = Quick access
    3 = Downloads

1. Do step 2 (Quick access), step 3 (This PC), or step 4 (Downloads) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Open File Explorer to Quick access
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Open_File_Explorer_to_Quick_access.reg

Download

3. To Open File Explorer to This PC
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Open_File_Explorer_to_This_PC.reg

Download

4. To Open File Explorer to Downloads

Open_File_Explorer_to_Downloads.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Edwin, Apr 24, 2015

2. File Explorer not responding after Win 10 Fall Creator update

Thank you for the quick reply and suggestions.

What I tried that worked so far and I'll probably leave at that: go into file explorer options and select 'open file explorer' to This PC. The bugaboo in my case seems to be the Quick Access button. If File Explorer opens to Quick Access or if you select
    Quick Access after File Explorer opens successfully, File Explorer freezes.

richard31416, Apr 24, 2015
  3. Windows Explorer Crashes after Resizing/Snapping

The bug is in "Quick Access." If you set the windows explorer to open to "This PC" instead of Quick Access the problem goes away.

Here's how:

Open Windows Explorer

Right click on Quick Access

Go to Options

In the General tab change "Open File Explorer to "This PC".

Here's a youtube video that shows how:

Microsoft, fix this please. It's rather annoying.

HardyBlue55, Apr 24, 2015
  4. Open to This PC or Quick access in File Explorer in Windows 10

Found another method that not only sees any new File Explorer windows open direct to the This PC but also eliminate all clutter seen for folders above drives as well as cleaning things up under Quick Access and the navigation pane all rolls into one simple task.

When someone was asking how to find the This PC this method was part of the replies posted which is quite basic to see done as you will notice.
    1) go to the Windows directory and locate the "explorer.exe" file which is for the main Windows shell.
    2) right click and choose the create new shortcut option which is when the prompt seen there will appear indicating the new shortcut can only be made on the desktop since that is in a protected OS system folder.
    3)Once created you simply right click to rename the shortcut to File Explorer, Explorer, or "This PC" as you will arrive at when clicking on it.

In the past when having accidentally nuked the pre-pinned shortcut for Explorer I saw this done as a replacement. And now in 10 with these two Quick Access, This PC, and additional folders being clutter in the drive pane this was a fast solution. In previous versions this would have appeared as the My Computer or Computer icon you would have seen on the default desktop or pinned as the WE in 7. And if you have need for multiples you can easily see the new shortcut dragged into a new Quick Launch type toolbar added onto the main taskbar as well as being pinned.

Night Hawk, Jan 21, 2016
Thema:

Open to This PC or Quick access in File Explorer in Windows 10

1. Open to This PC or Quick access in File Explorer in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Open Quick access

2. Quick Access in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick Access in File Explorer: For some reason my Quick Access in File Explorer stopped working about a week ago. It does not display pinned folders any more. It does show recent files. When I try to pin anything to it it says that the folder already exists. I only had 4 or 5 folders pinned but it gives me...
  3. File Explorer automatically opens at boot up in Quick Access

File Explorer automatically opens at boot up in Quick Access: For about a week the file explorer opens a quick access window every time the PC boots up. I have not set this up at all. I do not even use the file explorer, but have installed a explorer replacement - xplorer2 - which opens up when you click anything that requires the...
  4. File Explorer Quick Access

File Explorer Quick Access: I have pinned a folder to quick access, file explorer. Folder shows, no problems. I shut my machine down at the end of the day. When I restart and go into file explorer, the folder I pinned to quick access is not there. I have tried various solutions on-line and community...
  5. Open file explorer with quick access blank page

in Windows 10 Support
    Open file explorer with quick access blank page: I got a blank page when I open explorer which is set to open on quick access see screenshot 155878
  6. Win10 Pro open file explorer to quick access not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win10 Pro open file explorer to quick access not working: Hi there. For some reason, File Explorer keeps opening to This PC. I've tried changing the option within File Explorer to Quick Access. I've restarted the process, restarted the computer. Changed the option to This PC and then back to Quick Access. Changed the relevant...
  7. In File Explorer Quick Access

In File Explorer Quick Access: Listed is old Firefox > ylzp0n7i.default Is that OK or should I delete? Also, I get a lot of cookies and I enabled block 3rd party cookies Thank you for your anticipated help...
  8. "Open File Explorer" to Quick access, keeps reverting to This PC

in Windows 10 Support
    "Open File Explorer" to Quick access, keeps reverting to This PC: It seems that every time I reboot my computer, my folder option of Open File Explorer to Quick access has reverted back to This PC. It is rather annoying, as I definitely prefer to open to quick access. I can't find anything anywhere online where I can force this change, and...
  9. make File Explorer and "Save As" always open to Quick Access

in Windows 10 Support
    make File Explorer and "Save As" always open to Quick Access: In File Explorer the navigation pane shows One Drive, Dropbox, This PC, E: flash drive, and F: flash drive; all with the same named files and folders I frequently use and backup. Since this is very confusing, in order to be sure I make make no mistakes when opening or saving...
  10. Explorer opening to "This PC" instead of "Quick Access"

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer opening to "This PC" instead of "Quick Access": I find it really annoying that I have to scroll up the left nav bar to quick access when I open a Explorer window. I went to View, Options and set "Open File Explorer to: Quick Access" but it still opens to This PC. Anyone know how to fix that? 102962