Windows 10: Clicking a photo or text item in My Pictures no longer works.

Discus and support Clicking a photo or text item in My Pictures no longer works. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Doing this used to show the photo or text piece immediately, but now I have to click 'Open' in the dropdown menu and choose a previously downloaded and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sliced tomatoes, May 13, 2017.

1. Clicking a photo or text item in My Pictures no longer works.

Doing this used to show the photo or text piece immediately, but now I have to click 'Open' in the dropdown menu and choose a previously downloaded and installed app. like Snagit, or Irfanview, or Paint.

I far prefer the simple viewer I had before which was part of the windows 10 pro os.

How can I reinstall this, please?

Thank you.

:)

sliced tomatoes, May 13, 2017

2. Pictures crashes when trying to share photo as text using Lumia 1020

My wife has a Lumina 1020 on AT&T network and within the last week it has decided that it will no longer send pictures via text. We have tried sharing pictures directly from the Photos app and have also tried attaching pictures while working in a text string,
    neither approach works.

She is able to receive texts with pictures.

We have done a hard restart of the phone and have made sure that her phone has the most recent updates.

Any suggestions for other things to try?

Matt

Matt Gillingham, May 13, 2017
  3. "Share by messaging" no longer option when selecting more than 1 photo to send by text

Hi, Yes, I know I am able to attach by clicking the icon to add more than one picture. But, I used to be able to be in my photos, click select, and select multiple photos, then, from there, I click the "share" icon, and the option to share by text used
    to show up. It no longer does. This is what I am hoping to figure out how to do. Or is this no longer available? I can do it this way and share to mail or facebook but not messaging. Thank you.

brownbearbrownbear, May 13, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

Clicking a photo or text item in My Pictures no longer works.

"but now I have to click 'Open' in the dropdown menu and choose a previously downloaded and installed app"

The new Photos app replaced Photo Viewer in Windows 10. I like it better for the extra features but if you like the old viewer; if you took the free upgrade from 7 or 8.1, it may still be on your device but is hidden. Here's how to re-enable it as default with a reg edit (credit to our forum member Guru, Edwin) - https://www.howtogeek.com/225844/how...on-windows-10/

Otherwise ...I think you meant 'Open with' which will open and list of progs. Click at the bottom where it says 'Choose another app'. Select one you prefer and tick box at bottom 'Always use this app ***'. You can also go to Action Center/ Settings/ Apps/ Default apps and choose there. You need the above tweak to make Photo Viewer appear on these lists. Good Luck

mrgeek, May 13, 2017
  5. Thank you mrgeek, but following the link didn't work, and Sarah Jacobsson's 'How to get Windows Photo Viewer back in Windows 10' didn't work out either. Nowhere does 'Windows Photo Viewer' appear after following these instructions.

Cheers

My fault! I didn't unzip the file. I'll see how I go.

They're asking me to buy the Win.zip for $29.

It's not looking hopeful.

sliced tomatoes, May 14, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    You do not have to pay for Winzip. Download 7-zip from 7-Zip Just choose either 32 or 64 bit. A good repository for downloading programs is majorgeeks.com Irfanview or XnView are good media programs for photos. If you are looking for trying to see Exif info, Gimp works very well.

bro67, May 14, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    There's a TenForums tutorial...
    Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

Double-clicking on a picture (or any other type of file) will open it with the appropriate default app, or bring up the 'choose an app' menu if there isn't one yet. This tutorial tells you how to set default apps.
    Choose Default Apps in Windows 10

8. Clicking a photo or text item in My Pictures no longer works.

I've been chasing this for 3 solid hours now without success. Thank you one and all, but I'm retiring from this task. One would think that installing 'Windows Photo Viewer' on my PC would be a doddle taking little more time than boiling an egg, but apparently not so. I'm sure the fault lies with me, and so all I can say is a very sincere "Thank you all for your efforts and your patience in trying to help me with this". My best bet is probably to trot down to the local computer shop and let them do the honours.

Cheers.

9. mrgeek Win User
    mrgeek, May 14, 2017
  10. Edwin New Member
    1. Run Brinks Reg file:

Clicking a photo or text item in My Pictures no longer works. [​IMG]

2. Make a few associations in Default Programs:

3. Set Windows Photo Viewer as default:

Total Time:
    2 min 43 sec!

Edwin, May 14, 2017
  11. Steve C Win User
    I quite like the standard Photo Viewer but I sometimes use ACDSee Free which is good for fitting variable size photos to fill the screen.

Steve C, May 14, 2017
  12. Thanks for the WinZip - very nice.

13. Clicking a photo or text item in My Pictures no longer works.

*chuckle

That's half a minute too soft for me, but okay, I'll salt-and-pepper it and eat it as it is.

I'll work through your instructions a little later on.

Thanks.

14. Thank you all - you've done brilliantly.

I've got the Windows Photo Viewer working again.

Yours,

15. mrgeek Win User
    Good to hear ! Please mark your topic Solved so others with your issue, which comes up frequently, can more easily find the solution in Search. Thanks

mrgeek, May 14, 2017
Thema:

Clicking a photo or text item in My Pictures no longer works.

1. Clicking a photo or text item in My Pictures no longer works. - Similar Threads - Clicking photo text

2. Photos App no longer working...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos App no longer working...: Is there anyone except me who is experiencing being unable to open photos anymore? I can't open any photos in Windows Explorer anymore. If I bring up a folder of photos and click on one to open it, it says, "The specified feature could not be found." Has anybody else...
  3. Photos App no longer working...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos App no longer working...: Is there anyone except me who is experiencing being unable to open photos anymore? I can't open any photos in Windows Explorer anymore. If I bring up a folder of photos and click on one to open it, it says, "The specified feature could not be found." Has anybody else...
  4. Photo are no longer going to subfolder in picture director

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photo are no longer going to subfolder in picture director: Hi, Since the Window 10 update back in December, we had various issues with folders. We fixed most of them except one. Whenever we import any photo from a camera, it imports all the pictures into the top ../pictures directory instead putting them in the folders by the...
  5. Microsoft Photos no longer works

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Photos no longer works: After an automatic Windows update, Photos app no longer functions. If I attempt to open the app directly, the opening screen appears for a few moments and then closes. If I click on a jpg file in explorer, I get a system error code -2147219196. I tried uninstalling the...
  6. text on pictures

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    text on pictures: Does anyone know an app that is free that you can text on pictures https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/text-on-pictures/2bee9910-a8af-43ab-9440-17f314cea2f8
  7. Item not found, item no longer located in desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Item not found, item no longer located in desktop: Hi I was working on a Sibelius file last night and saved it to the desktop. This morning when I tried opening it, I kept getting met with the error "Item not found, item no longer located in C:users\***\Desktop. Verify the item's location and try again." If I look in...
  8. Logging on to my PC - I click on an item on a photo.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Logging on to my PC - I click on an item on a photo.: I can access my Microsoft account no problem. I want to change my Windows password (windows 10), which I have forgotten, to the same as my Microsoft password - how do I do this?...
  9. Items pinned to Explorer on Taskbar no longer open with left click

in Windows 10 Support
    Items pinned to Explorer on Taskbar no longer open with left click: Just did a clean install of W10 Pro X64 on my recently inherited PC and have discovered that folders I have pinned to Explorer on the Taskbar can no longer be opened with left click. Have to use right click and the Open. This did work normally when I cloned the system from...
  10. Right Clicking Start Menu Items not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Right Clicking Start Menu Items not Working: Hi all. This is my first post. Using win 10. The Issue i'm having is that when I right click on the Windows Start Icon, I get a list of menu items: Apps features power options event viewer * system, device manager* network connections disk management* computer...