Windows 10: Command Prompt Colors

Discus and support Command Prompt Colors in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; On one of my computers the command prompt terminal defaults to black text on a grey background and does not respond to changing the properties in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MikeSimpson3, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Command Prompt Colors

On one of my computers the command prompt terminal defaults to black text on a grey background and does not respond to changing the properties in the normal manner. On the odd occasion that I have managed to change it to white on black it reverts to black on grey next time it is started.

Two other computers work as they should and default to white text on a black background.

Where should I look for a solution.

Thanks,

Mike

:)

MikeSimpson3, Oct 14, 2019
  2. cwtech Win User

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Oct 29, 2019
  3. Bree Win User
    Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

4. cwtech Win User

Command Prompt Colors

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

I am repairing a laptop for a friend and I need to access windows in safe mode and the owner has forgotten the password to the main user. I tried logging on with the administrator profile in safe mode but it is not showing up so I was going to use command prompt in safe mode with command prompt but command prompt will not open when I boot that option. Does anyone have any hints for me to figure this out?

cwtech, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

Command Prompt Colors

1. Command Prompt Colors - Similar Threads - Command Prompt Colors

2. FYI: Win10 21H1 and Command Prompt Colors

in Windows 10 Support
    FYI: Win10 21H1 and Command Prompt Colors: Early this morning, I upgraded my Windows 10 Professional installation to feature version 21H1. I have been running all day, with no significant things to report except one minor annoyance that I solved easily. The annoyance is that the Colors tab, which one would expect to...
  3. How to change the Background and Foreground Color in Command Prompt

in Windows 10 News
    How to change the Background and Foreground Color in Command Prompt: If you open the Command Prompt, it should be evident that the background color is black. However, there are those who would prefer to change the color but have no idea this is a possibility. If you are one of those many people, then worry not for you’re in the right place....
  4. Export command prompt and powershell settings/colors/position

in Windows 10 Support
    Export command prompt and powershell settings/colors/position: How can it be done? I've seen a similar thread for Windows 7 at SevenForums and people there say that settings of cmd are stored in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console" but it doesn't look like it's the same on Windows 10 *sarc I've exported the whole "console" category from the...
  5. Command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command prompt: It seems that I have to renew my command prompt almost monthly by use of the "bootsect /nt60 sys" command. Why is this happening ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt/6ca7646e-66a4-45cf-ab84-781950936dee
  6. Command Prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Command Prompt: On my PC cmd not working properly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt/1997eabc-1c65-4dd5-a223-03a83f66ccf6
  7. command prompt

command prompt: hi, Is the 64 bit operating system, alright to run on the 32 bit administrator command prompt? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt/0202ade4-c9cf-4456-80b3-5ee9a53dd104
  8. command prompt commands

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    command prompt commands: Can anybody just tell me what the command prompt for starting up in safe mode with networking is, if there is one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/command-prompt-commands/7b058934-65f0-40dc-8982-936764895a61
  9. How to Change the Command Prompt Colors and properties in Windows

How to Change the Command Prompt Colors and properties in Windows: Just read this article in " Makeuseof" Actually very cool!! Thought I'd share it http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...rs-in-windows/ 37871
  10. commands in command prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    commands in command prompt: is there a full list of DOS style Commands buried somewhere in win10 i try CHKDSK and get nowhere with the command unless I'm typing it wrong. but there are a few otthers i would be interested in as well. 54240