Windows 10: Command Prompt is missing from the drive.

Discus and support Command Prompt is missing from the drive. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Trying to get past the BitLocker on my Granddaughters Ideapad 100s 11IBY. Having tried several avenues to recover from the Locker, it was decided to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tensone, Feb 5, 2019.

1. tensone Win User

Command Prompt is missing from the drive.

Trying to get past the BitLocker on my Granddaughters Ideapad 100s 11IBY.

Having tried several avenues to recover from the Locker, it was decided to start fresh with a re-install of Windows 10.

As many of the functions were limited due to the lack of access because of the C: drive being locked etc.

Entered CMD and cleaned the Disk '0' to re-install windows.

Since doing this, although have a ISO with Win10 mounted on a USB. It will boot through to the point where a message comes up:-

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only beinstalled to GPT disks."

Have used Rufus to change the ISO to GPT from MBR, this does nothing.

I cannot access CMD to change the format of the disk '0' as there is nothing there to select Command Prompt to type anything etc.

Any tips of how rectify this problem.

:)

tensone, Feb 5, 2019
  2. cwtech Win User

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Feb 5, 2019
  3. Bree Win User
    Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

Bree, Feb 5, 2019
  4. Caring1 Win User

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Command prompt is only accessible from the Administrative Profile, this is to prevent general users from accessing and bypassing controls.
    One method is to remove the drive and connect it to another system.

Caring1, Feb 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Command Prompt is missing from the drive. - Similar Threads - Command Prompt missing

2. new command prompt is missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    new command prompt is missing: today the system suddenly reverted to legacy command prompt, and i can no longer access the new command prompt windows terminal. checked from microsoft store, it displays that the app is installed, but on opening windows terminal i get an error:windows 11, updated to latest...
  3. new command prompt is missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    new command prompt is missing: today the system suddenly reverted to legacy command prompt, and i can no longer access the new command prompt windows terminal. checked from microsoft store, it displays that the app is installed, but on opening windows terminal i get an error:windows 11, updated to latest...
  4. Desktop folder missing in Command Prompt

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Desktop folder missing in Command Prompt: Hello Gurus Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.1110) I have just reinstalled Win 10 because I couldn't find the Desktop folder when using the Command Prompt, and its still missing. Has anybody any ideas how to fix this problem ? 183207
  5. Command prompt missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command prompt missing: Hello, I need help with a problem of mine I've been trying to open up command prompt for a while to do some of my work but I cant seem to find a solution for this i have tried everything but I cant get it to pop up on my laptop. please give me tips in trying to fix this...
  6. Command prompt is missing on windows 10

Command prompt is missing on windows 10: Hello, I got an answer to this question days ago I can't find anymore, so I restate my question. How do I install command prompt? Because without it I can't change other settings. Thank you. savvy108...
  7. Command Prompt is missing from the drive.

in Windows 10 Support
    Command Prompt is missing from the drive.: Trying to get past the BitLocker on my Granddaughters Ideapad 100s 11IBY. Having tried several avenues to recover from the Locker, it was decided to start fresh with a re-install of Windows 10. As many of the functions were limited due to the lack of access because of the...
  8. Command for Command Prompt restoring missing file

Command for Command Prompt restoring missing file: Hey i saw your post about how you can boot into Command Prompt and push to restore the file, do you have that command still??...
  9. Drive missing in "This PC" but still works fine in command prompt

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive missing in "This PC" but still works fine in command prompt: This problem is usually fixed by slow solutions such as restarting my PC. But I run into this every day, so I need a better solution. I have a Buffalo NAS (network hard drive). I have to keep that at Auto-on mode because it's noisy. So everytime I want to turn the drive on, I...
  10. Can you open Elevated Command Prompt from Command Prompt?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can you open Elevated Command Prompt from Command Prompt?: I have read everything I can find on Error messages regarding looping of Preparing to Repair. I can not open my computer to Windows...it never loads. I started experiencing problems a while ago. Finally, I would be able to get on line, but only for about a minute before it...