Windows 10: Command prompt settings do not save

Discus and support Command prompt settings do not save in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; ProblemMy command prompt always starts very small on default. Resizing it isn't a problem, but it is a problem when I run a console app that displays... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by stellar919, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Command prompt settings do not save

ProblemMy command prompt always starts very small on default. Resizing it isn't a problem, but it is a problem when I run a console app that displays information immediately on startup, which is lost by the time I resize the small window. I can't scroll up to see things I've missed because the buffer settings are also very low: Height: 5 and width: 20

Command prompt settings do not save [​IMG]

This affects any terminal that opens, from Visual studio terminals to Minecraft servers. Anything that displays information right the second you open it, is useless due to this issue.

Things I've tried- I tried right-clicking on the cmd window and changing the settings under the "Defaults" menu, but it changes nothing, it doesn't save. Even though the settings I changed are saved in their text fields, the actual change doesn't happen.

- I also tried to reinstall Windows 10, I got the latest version and the problem still persists.

- I tried checking the registry if a Group Policy setting is somehow preventing me from saving my changes, but there isn't one. I checked under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies"

-A temporary fix-ish was to make a shortcut of cmd on my taskbar that had these options on the target properties:
    %windir%\system32\cmd.exe /k mode con: cols=120 lines=2500
    That just saves me the hassle of resizing the window every time, but doesn't solve it for any other program.

:)

stellar919, Aug 12, 2019
  2. cwtech Win User

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Aug 12, 2019
  3. Bree Win User
    Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

4. cwtech Win User

Command prompt settings do not save

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

I am repairing a laptop for a friend and I need to access windows in safe mode and the owner has forgotten the password to the main user. I tried logging on with the administrator profile in safe mode but it is not showing up so I was going to use command prompt in safe mode with command prompt but command prompt will not open when I boot that option. Does anyone have any hints for me to figure this out?

cwtech, Aug 12, 2019
Thema:

Command prompt settings do not save

1. Command prompt settings do not save - Similar Threads - Command prompt settings

2. Change Registry Setting on command prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Registry Setting on command prompt: so i change something in my registry, then i get bluescreen. I can't fix it because dont remember my password when you want to go to command prompt in bluescreen advanced settings. What do i do? please someone answer me, urgent....
  3. Change Registry Setting on command prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Registry Setting on command prompt: so i change something in my registry, then i get bluescreen. I can't fix it because dont remember my password when you want to go to command prompt in bluescreen advanced settings. What do i do?...
  4. Change Registry Setting on command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Registry Setting on command prompt: so i change something in my registry, then i get bluescreen. I can't fix it because dont remember my password when you want to go to command prompt in bluescreen advanced settings. What do i do?...
  5. Settings commands chkdsk at command prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Settings commands chkdsk at command prompt: Hello, I appealed to the Microsoft community and please send me ascript containing all the settings commands chkdsk to fix the bad ssd ect… Thank you! Wait for response! A good day!...
  6. BCDEDIT Command Prompt To Save My Laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    BCDEDIT Command Prompt To Save My Laptop: I found it a week ago.... I do remember there was more than "BCDEDIT" and there was (|) - the vertical (SHIFT+BACKSPACE). That was all in the description, but I can't find it... I should say I have an Acer Aspire 3, Windows 10, and on those directions, it told me as soon as...
  7. Command prompt settings do not save

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Command prompt settings do not save: ProblemMy command prompt always starts very small on default. Resizing it isn't a problem, but it is a problem when I run a console app that displays information immediately on startup, which is lost by the time I resize the small window. I can't scroll up to see things I've...
  8. How to view, save and clear Command Prompt command History in Windows

in Windows 10 News
    How to view, save and clear Command Prompt command History in Windows: [ATTACH] The Command Prompt is nothing but a black and white command line utility that comes out of the box on Windows 10/8/7. But those who know its true potential, it is a great replacement for many of the users’ third-party [...] This post How to view, save and clear...
  9. command prompt commands

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    command prompt commands: Can anybody just tell me what the command prompt for starting up in safe mode with networking is, if there is one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/command-prompt-commands/7b058934-65f0-40dc-8982-936764895a61
  10. commands in command prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    commands in command prompt: is there a full list of DOS style Commands buried somewhere in win10 i try CHKDSK and get nowhere with the command unless I'm typing it wrong. but there are a few otthers i would be interested in as well. 54240