Windows 10: Computer Half-works After Update

Discus and support Computer Half-works After Update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was on the fast insider downloads, but when I updated to the Fall Creators Update my computer would restart every 15 minutes, over and over again. So... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CheetahWIG, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Computer Half-works After Update

I was on the fast insider downloads, but when I updated to the Fall Creators Update my computer would restart every 15 minutes, over and over again. So I rolled it back to pre-update, and quit the Insiders' program.

Yesterday my computer updated on its own, and now only half of things work. I can click on desktop icons and those programs work, but my Start button does nothing, so I can't get to Settings to roll back. The Search bar won't let me type anything in it, and my action bar won't open anything (including Edge and Chrome). I have an IE icon, which is how I'm getting this message out, and things like Word and World of Warcraft (who have desktop icons) work, but I can't open my backup program (Genie) or any other program that doesn't have a desktop icon. I'm in purgatory - with half of things working and half not. Help!

:)

CheetahWIG, Nov 2, 2017

2. keyboard

I accidentally updated windows after purposefully ignoring it for months. Now half of the keys on my keyboard don't work and it says the device is not working properly. I tried to reset my computer to before the useless update, but my keys still don't
    work. I have typed half of this with my onscreen keyboard, but I am about to throw this computer at the ground and go by a mac.

alexander bateman, Nov 2, 2017
  3. Smokovec Win User
    Lumia 1520 proximity sensor

After update to 1028.3562.1402.0001 last week, proximity sensor stoped working properly. It works OK right after I restart the phone, but sometimes after half an hour or sometimes after half a day it stops working - screen stays on during a call and glance
    peek doesn't work.

Any suggestions??

Smokovec, Nov 2, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Computer Half-works After Update

As an interim measure I'd suggest you install Classic Shell start menu (free). (It's just a program- close it and you're back as you were, and if the Start Menu works you can launch it with a key combination).

What is your current Windows build?
    Win key + R, winver

Given this:
    please do these basic checks if your PC allows:
    1. First check your disk:
    Download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and make sure all disks are reported as good.
    If not, do not continue, and post back .

2. Now check your file system:

From an admin command or powershell prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    or
    How to read Event Viewer log for Chkdsk in Windows 10 [Tip] | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTechdotTech
    or
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

One approach taken to deal with the start menu and taskbar not responding is to do an in-place upgrade repair install (using an iso of the same base build as you have -hence my question- which keeps all apps, programs and data and most settings.

dalchina, Nov 2, 2017
  5. You can open Settings by pressing Windows logo key + I keys.

FreeBooter, Nov 2, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
  7. I was able to restart one more time last night and lo and behold, it worked again. /sigh That was 2 days' worth of angst. Thanks to all of the suggestions above - I'll keep this page saved in case I need to use them. Btw, neither winkey + R (to get version) or winkey + I (to open settings) does anything on my computer. /shrug

CheetahWIG, Nov 3, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

- you can get control of updates (Home or Pro) by setting updates to Notify.
    Winaero's free tweaker is most convenient for this, else it's Settings and Group Policy Editor for Pro, registry edit (see tutorial on enable - disable Windows Updates and search for Notify).

This gives you a notification in the Action Centre, click that, Settings opens, you see what the update is, click on it if you want it then.

Note: we strongly urge users to use disk imaging routinely e.g. Macrium Reflect (free). Together with the above, you're essentially protected if an upgrade or update goes wrong.

As to the Win key - you can create a new user for test purposes and see if it works then- if so it's a user profile related problem. If not, it's a Windows issue.

Likely to be resolved by research, or by an in-place upgrade repair install... assuming your Win key works physically. E.g. Win key E, Win key S, Win key A, Win key L.... or try assigning it yourself via a shortcut.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer Half-works After Update - Similar Threads - Computer Half works

2. The Settings app and half of the Start menu doesn't work after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The Settings app and half of the Start menu doesn't work after update: Good evening.I had this problem two times, first time I just reinstalled my system and it helped. After update, the explorer doesn't start immediately and it hangs for about a minute, and after it's loading I can't change my volume, open notifications, or change my keyboard...
  3. The Settings app and half of the Start menu doesn't work after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Settings app and half of the Start menu doesn't work after update: Good evening.I had this problem two times, first time I just reinstalled my system and it helped. After update, the explorer doesn't start immediately and it hangs for about a minute, and after it's loading I can't change my volume, open notifications, or change my keyboard...
  4. My computer shows horizontal lines, bad resolution and half screen after an update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My computer shows horizontal lines, bad resolution and half screen after an update.: My computer shows horizontal lines, bad resolution and half screen after an update. I can't get to the windows icon . The entire screen is jacked as if it had been dropped. The resolution is bad and the lines are screenwide. The left quadrant of the screen is blacked out....
  5. Computer freezes after an hour and a half of usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer freezes after an hour and a half of usage: So I have a issue of where my computer just degrades and freezes after about an hour of usage, I've only had this computer for about a few days, and I built it myself so this is pretty annoying. My short term solution was to just restart it every hour after it hits that mark...
  6. computer not working after latest update

computer not working after latest update: Firstly appologies if i am posting in the wrong place, Yesterday i did the latest update & now i cant get past the opening screen that asks for the pin code, the reason for this is it looks like all of my usb ports are disabled so i as good as have no mouse or keyboard. I...
  7. Computer not working after updates

Computer not working after updates: I reset my pc, everything was working until I did windows update. Now search, start, internet browser and cortana won't work, been struggling for 3 days now. Had to send message from my cell phone as I can't get into internet browser, also won't read disc's. The Store doesn't...
  8. Computer not working properly after update

Computer not working properly after update: Hi, I did an update for Windows 10 version 2004. I was prompted to restart my computer and then after starting up again, my background photo was a generic/default and it was telling me there was an issue logging into my account. So it asked me to reenter my pin, and told me...
  9. Computer not working after Windows update

Computer not working after Windows update: Sorry for bothering you but ever since I installed the latest Windows update my computer has not been working at all. I can't open many programs, I can't end programs in the task manager, I can't install programs, I can't uninstall programs, and programs I had activated on my...
  10. Windows update broke half of my computer.

Windows update broke half of my computer.: Ever since my computer forced the last update, it has been buggy and irritating to use. If i try to use any quick action, the desktop resets. By resets i mean the background flashes back and taskbar restarts. Last night, it kept resetting every 2 seconds before the screen...