Windows 10: Computer randomly restarts?

Discus and support Computer randomly restarts? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I'm a programmer. Sometimes I take breaks, go to my couch and watch TV for about an hour. However, I still have documents open on my computer. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jaxel, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Jaxel Win User

Computer randomly restarts?

So I'm a programmer. Sometimes I take breaks, go to my couch and watch TV for about an hour. However, I still have documents open on my computer. My monitors turn off after 10 minutes of inactivity.

Randomly, I will see my monitors turn on and a blue screen on my computer saying something along the lines of "Getting your computer ready". Then the computer restarts. This happens at various times, I've seen it happen at 1:04am, 4:38pm and 10:15pm. The timing seems completely random and its a major issue because it closes all my documents.

Anyone else have this issue?

:)

Jaxel, Aug 16, 2015

2. Computer freezes randomly

I did fresh start like 2 weeks ago

Joonas_576, Aug 16, 2015
  3. RedEagle3 Win User
    Computer restarting randomly

No problem,

No i am not getting a blue screen of death,

I don't think it could be heat cause sometimes it crashes within minutes of loading the computer and the case feels pretty cool

Something with the hard drive sounds likely I've had the computer for 3 years i think and never touched the hard drive and its storage is almost full if that makes a difference

You said doing a hardware diagnostic test where can i do something like that?

RedEagle3, Aug 16, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

"Getting your Computer ready" usually seen from windows updates. With some new updates recently can set time to restart for you, this might be the case with you, not positive yet, but that blue screen message what happens with and when updates are done from a restart.

jds63, Aug 16, 2015
  5. jds63 Win User
  6. Jaxel Win User
    Unfortunately that's not the same thing. That is for programming a restart time for updates you know about when you click install updates. What I'm talking about are random restarts, without having run windows update. Windows doesn't even inform me that it has downloaded an update; doesn't even inform me that its going to restart.

Jaxel, Aug 16, 2015
  7. ricorp Win User
    You have to go to Event Viewer and review the recorded logs just before the 'random restart' occurred. Focus on either (or both) the Application and/or System category. You can filter the results to show only those that happened within a specific timeframe (ex. 2pm to 2:30pm of 2015/08/15).
    And then again, you might have Windows 10 Home edition which 'force feeds' the updates made available by Microsoft.

ricorp, Aug 16, 2015
  8. Harpert Win User

Unfortunately the new Windows 10 updates all the time and restarts all the time when it thinks it needs it.
    It "looks" for moments that you are not using the PC for a while and takes the opportunity to start changing stuff and....in good Windows tradition.... restarts....

To avoid, go to Settings, Update&Security, Update, advanced settings and change the following:

*Smile

Good luck

Harpert, Aug 16, 2015
  9. jds63 Win User
    Some good answers here, think should try for one to look in the Event Viewer and as said by another about Windows update, just scenario you mention about getting windows ready sounded like this. On other hand random restarts can be cause of something else too, reason first look through events. As OS is still new to many, even us helping, hard to know for sure.

jds63, Aug 16, 2015
  10. I run into the same thing. I can be working and my laptop will just decide to restart. It does it when I'm away from the computer as well. I've attached a zip of the folder

jimmyd4golf, Apr 3, 2016
  11. sijones Win User
    I'm currently working through a similar problem - spontaneous reboots, sometimes when the computer's in use, sometimes when it's unattended. Event Viewer shows a 'Kernel Power 41' problem.

I'm currently working through some really useful advice given by Dalchina on my thread here: Spontaneous crashes / reboots . Following the instructions in Dalchina's link I'm currently in clean boot with all services & startup items disabled, and am re-enabling things systematically in groups. So far I have re-enabled over half of the services, and the machine has been rock solid. If I re-enable all the services without problems, I'll move on to the startup items.

I'm expecting the problem to come back at some point, by which time I hope I'll have whittled the re-enabled items down to identifying the culprit.

As you can imagine, it's slow going, as I'm allowing the machine to run for at least 24 hours before I move on to re-enabling the next batch. But at this rate I hope to have followed the whole process through before my 30 day roll-back window runs out.

Might be worth checking out that thread & following a similar process of elimination? That tutorial that Dalchina links to is solid gold.

sijones, Apr 4, 2016
  12. Thanks... I checked my update setting and changed that from auto to notify me. I don't think that's the issue because the last Window's update was applied on 2015.04.01, and this has occurred numerously since then. Before I do a clean boot, I'm going to investigate bcmwlb63a.sys, as that was referred to as causing the issue yesterday, when the blue screen appeared, just prior to restaring.

jimmyd4golf, Apr 4, 2016
  13. Computer randomly restarts?

Eliminate the possible and then accept the impossible as the real cause.

First, in Power Options, set the time to shut down the monitor to "NEVER". You might also disable Hibernate, because that too can be a problem source.
    Then completely disable Auto Updates. (at least for troubleshooting purposes)

Then to eliminate power line fluctuations from causing intermittent shutdowns, get a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)
    Even the smallest UPS, will prevent shutdowns from small power line glitches.
    I have six UPS's in my house, because here in Florida, power outages happen almost daily. My UPSs range in size from 300w to 600w.
    My 600w UPS backs up my Cable box, TV and a small table lamp, and uses two car batteries for its reserve power. It gives me about 8 hours of run time, during a total power failure. My cable modem, router and Magic Jack device are on a 350w UPS, with a small car battery as its reserve power source. It will stay alive for several hours, during a total blackout.

Good Luck, now get to troubleshooting!

*Cool

TechnoMage, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer randomly restarts? - Similar Threads - Computer randomly restarts

2. Computer randomly restarts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer randomly restarts: I have Windows 11 installed on a new computer. It will randomly restart several times a day, and there isn't a discernable pattern to it. I've already tried many possible solutions, including a reinstall of Windows 11, BIOS update, and driver updates. I've also run numerous...
  3. computer randomly restarts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer randomly restarts: computer randomly restarts several times a day https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-randomly-restarts/80eac5bf-8137-4a0a-b631-e7cdf0c770e6
  4. computer randomly restarts

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    computer randomly restarts: computer randomly restarts several times a day https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-randomly-restarts/80eac5bf-8137-4a0a-b631-e7cdf0c770e6
  5. Computer randomly restarting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer randomly restarting: I have a 8 year old custom build gaming PC with Windows 10 that up until about a month ago was working with no problems, albeit it was running quite slow. Out of nowhere my computer started restarting with no error message out of the blue and no warning as to it happening. I...
  6. Computer restarts randomly

Computer restarts randomly: Hi, over the past two weeks I've had this issue with my computer randomly black screening. The PC itself is still on when it black screens, no beeps or anything of that nature coming from the motherboard upon restart. It will reboot like normal most of the time sometimes it...
  7. random restarts of the computer

random restarts of the computer: My ASUS laptop keeps on restarting saying "your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. ...". I do not know why and I would love to know if it is a setting I can change so that it asks me if I should restart it. I have university exams to take and this is making me...
  8. Computer Random Restart?

Computer Random Restart?: Hello, I am having an issue when I upgraded my Dell Inspiron 580 to a SSD instead of a HDD. My computer`s screen will randomly go black and the GPU fan will spin up a lot? Any solutions?...
  9. Computer randomly restarting

Computer randomly restarting: I just got a new graphics card a gtx 1650 super, so we put in there it worked fine. the next morning however it crashed whenever anything opened. then one time I was able to open a fairly demanding game and play it for a bit then I quit the game and then it crashed my...
  10. Computer Restarts Randomly

Computer Restarts Randomly: This issue has been persisting for a while now and I can't quite wrap my head around it. There are certain games that have been able to cause this repeatedly while other games that should be equally if not more intensive run just fine. For example I can run Red Dead 2 at...