Windows 10: Check for and Install Windows Update in Windows 10

Discus and support Check for and Install Windows Update in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Check for and Install Windows Update in Windows 10 How to Check for and Install Windows Updates in Windows 10 Microsoft has made it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Check for and Install Windows Update in Windows 10

How to: Check for and Install Windows Update in Windows 10

How to Check for and Install Windows Updates in Windows 10

Microsoft has made it easier for Windows Update to keep Windows 10 updated by automatically downloading and installing the latest features and improvements, drivers, and hotfixes released by Microsoftand with fewer interruptions and restarts when you're using your PC the most. The latest updates will automatically download and install when theyre available. (Unless youre on a metered connection, then updates wont download until you manually check for updates.)

Microsoft releases important updates every second Tuesday once a month, known as Patch Tuesday. However, updates could be released at any time.

Windows 10 will automatically check for new Windows Updates at the time you have set in automatic maintenance.

You can select to also receive updates for other Microsoft products like Office in Windows Update.

Occasionally, your PC may need to restart to finish installing the updates. You can set custom restart time to temporarily override active hours and schedule a custom time to finish installing the current update(s).

See also:
    Starting with Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703, Windows Update will now also automatically download on a metered connection only those updates required to keep Windows running smoothly.

Check for and Install Windows Update in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Starting with Windows 10 build 16199, Windows Update will now list out the individual update status and progress.

Starting with Windows 10 build 16226, if an update has failed, when available, to help you better understand what went wrong Microsoft will now use a plain text string to describe the error that was encountered. This text, and the error code if visible, will now be selectable so you can easily copy and paste it elsewhere.

In an effort to prevent PCs from becoming out of date, Microsoft is introducing a change in behavior to Windows Update starting with Windows 10 build 17107 that is designed to be more proactive at keeping PCs updated. In RS4, now when Windows Update scans, downloads, and installs on a PC with AC power it will prevent the PC from going to sleep when it is not in active use, for up to 2 hours when receiving an update in order to give Windows Update more opportunity to succeed. If you are not seeing this new behavior, let Microsoft know by sending in feedback via Feedback Hub.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18298 (19H1), when your device has an update requiring a reboot (including new builds released), you will see the Power button in the Start menu with orange indicator alerting you to restart your device.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18362, a new Download and install now option provides users a separate control to initiate the installation of a feature update on eligible devices with no known key blocking compatibility issues. Users can still Check for updates to get monthly quality and security updates. Windows will automatically initiate a new feature update if the version of Windows 10 is nearing end of support. Windows may notify you when a feature update is available and ready for your machine. All Windows 10 devices with a supported version will continue to automatically receive the monthly updates.

This tutorial will show you how to manually check for and install available updates in Windows Update for your Windows 10 PC.

Here's How:

1 Open Settings (Win+I), and click/tap on the Update & security icon.

2 Click/tap on Windows Update on the left side, and click/tap on the Check for updates button. (see screenshot below)

3 Windows will now check for updates. (see screenshot below)

4 If you have any Additional updates available, you can click/tap on the Download and install now link to install them. (see screenshot below)

5 Windows will now automatically download and install any available updates. (see screenshots below)

Every Windows 10 update requires a certain amount of storage space on your device to help ensure the installation goes smoothly and that it runs well. Before downloading the update, Windows runs a scan to make sure there’s enough space. If there isn’t, you’ll see a message asking you to free up some.

Free up space to install the latest Windows 10 update | Microsoft Support

6 If any optional updates are available, click/tap on the View optional updates link. (see screenshot below)

This feature is only available starting with Windows 10 build 18980.

Microsoft is working on making it easier for you to see all optional updates (including drivers, feature updates, and monthly non-security quality updates) in one place. For drivers, you no longer need to browse Device Manager for a specific device to update. Windows Update will automatically keep your drivers up-to-date, same as before, but if you’re having a problem one of those optional drivers might help.

7 Check the optional updates you want to install, and click/tap on the Download and install button when ready. (see screenshot below)

If you have a specific problem, one of these drivers might help. Otherwise, automatic updates will keep your drivers up to date.

8 If there were problems installing any updates, click/tap on Retry to try installing them again. (see screenshot below)

9 If a restart has been scheduled to finish installing and applying available updates, then you could click/tap on Restart now, let Windows restart later outside your custom restart time. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Apr 5, 2016

2. Windows 10 haven't updated to version 1511 --- How to find product key

I haven't run the ISO disk as of yet, I want the current product key in hand, on a post it note, prior to doing that, not interested in MS bullS**T about it not being needed. 2 hours online with tech support and they can't cope with the question of how
    can the current product key be accessed in windows 10.

I've never owned a Apple product, but I can never see buying or having another MS product in my household after this.

NOT THE ONLY ONE

Windows 10 update fail, Apr 5, 2016
  3. How to Install Windows 10 on Devices with Limited Space

Even though I have an external device with more than 40 Gb capacity and the assistant recognizes it, it still keeps asking me to free 5 more Gb from the (unit CCheck for and Install Windows Update in Windows 10 :).

I have 3'62 Gb free memory in (Unit CCheck for and Install Windows Update in Windows 10 :). It asks me to free 5'63 Gb more. That'll make a total of 9'25 GB. The assistant needs 9'80 GB free memory to update windows 10 without any external device. Does this mean that my external device will only be used
    for 0'55 GB? Please I don't understant anything. I just want my laptop to work. I'd stay with my actual version but it keeps showing me ads, interrupting my work and deleting random stuff because of uninterruptible random updates. It has already freed 3 GB
    and I dont even know where from.

Thank you.

Update windows 10 error, Apr 5, 2016
Thema:

Check for and Install Windows Update in Windows 10

1. Check for and Install Windows Update in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Check Install Update

2. cannot check for or install windows 10 updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cannot check for or install windows 10 updates: I cannot check for or install any Windows updates. This has been going on for at least a month, although I cannot even see any updates that dhad been installed in the past. <Changed to a question>...
  3. cannor check for or install windows 10 updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannor check for or install windows 10 updates: I cannot check for or install any Windows updates. This has been going on for at least a month, although I cannot even see any updates that dhad been installed in the past....
  4. cannor check for or install windows 10 updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannor check for or install windows 10 updates: I cannot check for or install any Windows updates. This has been going on for at least a month, although I cannot even see any updates that dhad been installed in the past....
  5. cannor check for or install windows 10 updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Windows 10 checking for updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 checking for updates: My Windows update stuck in checking for updates. I tried the windows update troubleshooter, and it says resolved. I restart the computer and run the update again. It progress and shows the percentage but it stuck again without going up. Im waiting for 2 hours now for this...
  7. Check Firmware update Version installed on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Check Firmware update Version installed on Windows 10: Has anyone found a way to determine which version is currently installed apart from within regedit? ie I want to check which firmware Driver pack version installed SurfaceLaptop3_Win10_18362_20.121.13124.0.msi thanks...
  8. Windows 10 install stuck on Checking for updates

Windows 10 install stuck on Checking for updates: I started to update from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. The first thing the update does is check for updates and it has been on that for about 2 hours. How long does this take or is it hung?...
  9. Windows 10 not checking for updates!

Windows 10 not checking for updates!: Hey there!! I'm having this unknown error since the last failed update... I tried a few online tweaks and some answers to the community - everything was useless... [ATTACH] I've seen some weird messages while turning on the services, turning the Win update medic service ~...
  10. Windows 10 Update Check

Windows 10 Update Check: Windows 10 update is not completing the task and troubleshoot is also not completing the task. When Settings - Update & Security is launched it automatically starts to search for updates. It used to have a grey box to Check for Updates. The check runs constantly and does...