Windows 10: Computer runs hot every 5 minutes when idle, WHY!?!

Discus and support Computer runs hot every 5 minutes when idle, WHY!?! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My laptop has been a constant victim of these godforsaken programs that run every 5 minutes when idle, and it's starting to make me angry. It's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Double, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Double Win User

Computer runs hot every 5 minutes when idle, WHY!?!

My laptop has been a constant victim of these godforsaken programs that run every 5 minutes when idle, and it's starting to make me angry.

It's either the Windows Modules Installer Worker, or Service Host: Disk Defragmenter, or System And Compressed Memory. One or the other acts up around every 5 minutes when idle. It's been going on for over a year now, and I believe it's reducing it's lifespan because the fan speed increases and the laptop becomes hot to the touch. What the hell are these programs, and what can I do to stop them? I am willing to do anything at this point to prevent them from running. I'm worried that the fan is going to blow out if this keeps up. Please, somebody help. If you need any info at all, please let me know and I will give it to you.

Previous threads on the matter:

Automatic disk defrag every 5 minutes when idle - Windows 10 Forums

Computer randomly sleeps, high cpu after 5 minutes idle - Windows 10 Forums

:)

Double, Dec 15, 2016

2. LOG ON FREQUENTLY

When my computer is idle, I have to reinsert the PIN every 10 minutes or so. Why?

Moved from Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures

BARRY HOWARDIV, Dec 15, 2016
  3. 920 battery life issue

my phone drains at 4-5% per hour even with the data connection turned off (Vodafone 3G) and when the data connection is on and I play a game it drains by on average 15% every 19 minutes and if i go on twitter its around 11% every 25 minutes.

It gets really hot but this problem only started happening recently (last 2 weeks) so i don't understand why.

Care point here i come!

JamieUK1984, Dec 15, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, from my notes on System and Compressed Memory, noting you're using Chrome, try

Solved High CPU usage - System and Compressed Memory - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums

Is this normal? System and compressed memory process ALWAYS at 20% cpu
    - which is not a solution, but worth an experiment.

Likewise, try this:
    Turn off "Get tips ..." in notifications in Settings->System->Notification&actions.

Check the schedule for disk defrag for each drive/partition:
    Optimize Drives Schedule Settings - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Tutorials

Do you have these issues in
    a. Safe Mode
    b. after a clean boot?

dalchina, Dec 15, 2016
  5. Double Win User
    Thanks for your response, I will look into those and see if there is anything that can help. I do use Google Chrome, but I don't think it's related at all. It feels like a Windows thing, more than anything.

Double, Dec 17, 2016
  6. Fafhrd Win User
    It is a laptop, and if it gets too hot, it probably has physical cooling problems - has the cooling system had any maintenance in the past year since the problem started? Often, it is insufficient to blow any dust or lint from the heat exchanger fins through the grilles with compressed air - it may be necessary to dismantle the assembly and thoroughly clean the airways, and at the same time address all possible issues - such as thermal paste and dirty fan blades etc..

Fafhrd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer runs hot every 5 minutes when idle, WHY!?! - Similar Threads - Computer runs hot

2. Computer keeps bluescreening every 5 minutes, at a loss.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer keeps bluescreening every 5 minutes, at a loss.: I've tried everything from resetting, downgrading, upgrading drivers and windows, wiping my entire drive, but some things still persist when it type them in the windows thingI've gotten a multitude of error messages, with one of them being "memory_management"I'm not sure how...
  3. Computer keeps bluescreening every 5 minutes, at a loss.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer keeps bluescreening every 5 minutes, at a loss.: I've tried everything from resetting, downgrading, upgrading drivers and windows, wiping my entire drive, but some things still persist when it type them in the windows thingI've gotten a multitude of error messages, with one of them being "memory_management"I'm not sure how...
  4. Computer keeps bluescreening every 5 minutes, at a loss.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Computer restarts when left idle/untouched for 5 minutes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer restarts when left idle/untouched for 5 minutes: Yesterday, my computer restarted itself when I left it idle to eat dinner. It happened again when I took a shower. Today, it's happened around 4 times. When I try to put my computer to sleep, it does the same thing and restarts itself. My power & sleep settings are set to...
  6. BSOD every 5 minutes

BSOD every 5 minutes: ***moved on english forum*** Hello guys, I really need your support there, my PC crashes every 5 minutes with BSOD, ive done A LOT OF TEST, tested all my componant, all is good. New new Windows, all driver ok etc... etc... Here is my minidump crash link :...
  7. Laptop hot when idle and plugged in

Laptop hot when idle and plugged in: So I'm having this problem with my laptop Eluktronics Mech-15 G2R I use my laptop plugged in 99% of the time, so it's not a battery charging overheating thing. When I unplug the laptop, the temperature drops to 45C which keeps the fans inactive. However, when I plug it in...
  8. Computer freezes when idle a few minutes

Computer freezes when idle a few minutes: HP Laptop with Windows 10 Operating system freezes or locks up when sitting idle for a few minutes. First noticed while watching Netflix, video was stuck and there was a buzzing noise. Trying changing browsers, no difference. Next happened while listening to Pandora. Now have...
  9. BSOD after 5 minutes of idle period

BSOD after 5 minutes of idle period: I run it with Driver verifier... Here is the minidump file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsmlV167rgkYgpx4LdY0oEBs0DGQ9Q NFO file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsmlV167rgkYgpxxbT_NgPU-ISncKg And some previous dumps. https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsmlV167rgkYgpx5OAww_hlaaw2G7A It is a brand...
  10. Automatic disk defrag every 5 minutes when idle

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Automatic disk defrag every 5 minutes when idle: Every time i leave my computer idle for 5 minutes, disk defragmenting starts acting up. It never did this on Windows 7, and its very annoying. This causes my fan to speed up and it stays that way until i give it some input. I always put my computer to sleep when I'm done...