Windows 10: Computer won't boot after replacing imageres.dll and shell32.dll

Discus and support Computer won't boot after replacing imageres.dll and shell32.dll in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I am in desperate need of help. I hated Windows 10's icons so i tried replacing them with copies from Windows 8.1, the copy succeeded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Startrek852, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Computer won't boot after replacing imageres.dll and shell32.dll

Hello everyone, I am in desperate need of help. I hated Windows 10's icons so i tried replacing them with copies from Windows 8.1, the copy succeeded but when i tried to boot back into Windows it got stuck at the loading screen and kept flashing repeatedly, can you please help? FYI, I do have a backup of the original files, I just can't find a way to restore them.

:)

Startrek852, Sep 12, 2015

2. [.ShellClassInfo] files on desktop

Is it safe to remove files that appeared on my Desktop after I upgraded to Windows 10:

[.ShellClassInfo]

LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21799

and

[.ShellClassInfo]

LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21769

IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-183

LamontShannon, Sep 12, 2015
  3. desktop.ini this is a virus that make hiden and shorkats your flashmemory.

[.ShellClassInfo]

LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21779

InfoTip=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-12688

IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-113

IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll

IconIndex=-236

[Moved from Virus & Malware]

dee man3000, Sep 12, 2015
  4. essenbe Win User

Computer won't boot after replacing imageres.dll and shell32.dll

If you have system protection turned on, you may be able to restore it to a time before you made the changes.
    System Restore Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

You may also be able to do it from the installation disk. Just click through, like you were going to install Windows, when you get to the screen that says where do you want to install windows, vlivk advanced options, then Load Drivers. It will show you every hard drive in your system. You can use that to copy/paste whatever you want. Then back out and do not install windows.

You can do the same thing with a Live Linux CD/USB drive.

essenbe, Sep 12, 2015
  5. Thank you for the help, but the problem is getting the computer to recognize and boot from the USB stick or DVD.

6. essenbe Win User
    If you have a UEFI BIOS, you may have to disable Secure Boot to boot from a USB. I believe HP's one time boot menu is the Escape key. Or you will need to go into bios and change the boot order an put the USB as first boot device.

essenbe, Sep 12, 2015
  7. ESC doesn't work, just keeps on booting.

8. essenbe Win User

Then boot into BIOS and change the boot order to boot from your USB first and hard drive second.

essenbe, Sep 12, 2015
  9. How do I boot into the BIOS on this computer?

10. Cliff S New Member
    Let it crash & burn a few times and you may be able to get into UEFI:
    Just start Windows let it go a bit, then press the shutdown button on the PC. After about 3 times in a row, it should send you to the UEFI options menu.
    If that doesn't work spamming(repeatedly pressing) F1 or F2 usually get's you into BIOS.

I have one question though, when you added the Win 8 icon .DLL's, did you take ownership or Win10's and rename to imageres.old and shell32.old, then import the new ones?

Cliff S, Sep 12, 2015
  11. essenbe Win User
    Good idea Cliff. or he could just read the his manual.

essenbe, Sep 12, 2015
  12. Cliff S New Member
    Good morning Steve, yup, the manuals these days are wanting, but, they do usually show the very basics, specially the F & FN keys. When theming goes south on me, I use the crash & burn method to get into UEFI and boot another OS and choose the Macrium recovery boot option(it's on the free version now too).

Cliff S, Sep 12, 2015
  13. topgundcp Win User

For newer model of HP. Try F9 or F10

topgundcp, Sep 12, 2015
  14. essenbe Win User
    I've wondered why they even put Manuals out anymore. Most of them, you could put the useful information on 1 page. Asus, in it's infinite wisdom, decided to make F8 the one time boot menu hotkey. Starting in safe mode when you can't boot is a real trick sometimes. Of all the F keys, why choose that one?

essenbe, Sep 12, 2015
  15. Cliff S New Member
    Maybe someone should put forth a resolution, that there be a Recovery Standard industry wide, to their local Computer Geek political parties(like the Pirate Party in European countries which is also in the EU Parliament).

Cliff S, Sep 12, 2015
Thema:

1. Computer won't boot after replacing imageres.dll and shell32.dll - Similar Threads - Computer won't boot

2. give me the **** windows 11 imageres dll and shell32 dll so i can get the icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    give me the **** windows 11 imageres dll and shell32 dll so i can get the icons: THERES LITERALLY NO DOWNLOADS ONLINE WHEN I SEARCHED AND I TRIED TO USE A VIRTUAL MACHINE TO INSTALL WIN11 JUST TO GET THE ICONS BUT THE VIRTUAL MACHINE WOULDNT LET ME INSTALL BUT I DONT CARE ABOUT THAT AND NO I DONT WANT TO DOWNLOAD AN ICON PACK AND I WOULD RATHER NOT TELL...
  3. give me the **** windows 11 imageres dll and shell32 dll so i can get the icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    give me the **** windows 11 imageres dll and shell32 dll so i can get the icons: THERES LITERALLY NO DOWNLOADS ONLINE WHEN I SEARCHED AND I TRIED TO USE A VIRTUAL MACHINE TO INSTALL WIN11 JUST TO GET THE ICONS BUT THE VIRTUAL MACHINE WOULDNT LET ME INSTALL BUT I DONT CARE ABOUT THAT AND NO I DONT WANT TO USE AN ICON PACK AND I WOULD RATHER NOT TELL WHY I...
  4. textfile after boot; @%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    textfile after boot; @%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787: I accidentally stopped a "critical process" in task manager. my laptop went blue screen. I restarted. everything was fine but a notepad file named "desktop.ini" opened automaticly. including: [.ShellClassInfo] LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787...
  5. shell32.dll error and other problems?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    shell32.dll error and other problems?: Hello, there's a problem with my windows 10 laptop, I don't exactly know whats wrong, but when I login to my account it always says something about shell32.dll missing. Ever since that happened I wasn't able to press anything, the WiFi icon is gone and I can't connect to the...
  6. Shell32.dll file was removed from System32, now computer won't boot.

in Windows 10 Support
    Shell32.dll file was removed from System32, now computer won't boot.: I mistakenly moved my Shell32.dll file from the System 32 folder. After restarting the computer, it will not boot. It only reaches the "Please Wait" screen, and hangs there forever. Booting in safe mode/safe mode with networking does the same thing. I've also tried starting...
  7. KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSOD: Can you please help with this blue screen. I get different kind of blue screen since a few month, this one is latest. Its not my ram I tested it. Some help pls, thanks. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjWUmvzIdGqijgmU1yi48Lp8a3vI...
  8. "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shell32.dll"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shell32.dll": Hello- I have installed a couple of games (Rainbow Six Seige + Fortnite ) and both display "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shell32.dll". as a sort of crash? Minecraft runs fine and so does everything- Dell Support Assist says my computer is fine so....? How do I access Shell32 files...
  9. change those shell32.dll icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    change those shell32.dll icons: [img] Hi to all! Does anyone know if can I change those icons via resource hacker? 103971
  10. Missing shell32.dll and WININET.dll file

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing shell32.dll and WININET.dll file: My computer just shut off on my, and once i turned it back on it said that i had a missing shell32.dll and WININET.dll file. I was never messing with any files, just playing a video game. I cant open anything besides documents. I tried looking stuff up on how to fix but it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. LocalizedResourceName=@