Windows 10: Confused about the ISO file?

Discus and support Confused about the ISO file? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I've recently been trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have tried to use the installer provided by Microsoft but the installer hangs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Lukea, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Lukea Win User

Confused about the ISO file?

Hi, I've recently been trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have tried to use the installer provided by Microsoft but the installer hangs on Checking For Updates. This doesn't end and I cannot pass it. I cannot use windows update to get the update as it just keeps searching for hours on end. I have tried to install the OS from USB and click 'Upgrade the System' but the OS will not activate; I guess it does not count as upgrading my OS so the key is not registered.

I have tried following this (https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9...-download.html) but then when I get to Step 7 #8, the ISO does not have Setup.exe any ideas?

:)

Lukea, Nov 22, 2015

2. Confused about the new Belle Refresh

@aaad1

If you are getting really short of free phone memory you are perhaps asking for problems and in this respect resetting device would be a solution, albeit note that data will aslo be deleted from E:\ Mass memory in addition to C:\.

Whilst it may be apocryphal there is probably less chance of update failing using Nokia Suite/Nokia Software Update upon recently formatted rather than cluttered phone.

In an ideal world all your existing apps would be compatible with Belle refresh, but there maybe a few surprises!

aspergerguy, Nov 22, 2015
  3. Confused about the new Belle Refresh

As aspergerguy said you are not supposed to lose anything when updating from belle to belle refresh. I didn't lose a single thing. Every single one of my apps still works as they did before. I think you should just try to free up some memory on C, back-up
    and go for the update.

no1_slumko, Nov 22, 2015
  4. Confused about the ISO file?

Cluster Head, Nov 22, 2015
  5. MAXIQ Win User
    -Just cancel the checking for updates by closing it
    -go to the ESD folder, you will find it in the C: drive if you are installing from c
    -double click setup.exe you will have 2 choices either to check for updates or checking for updates after installing win 10
    -choose the second choice.
    -it will start the install process for windows 10.

MAXIQ, Nov 22, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Nov 22, 2015
  7. Kyhi Win User
    Microsoft hasn’t removed Windows 10 Threshold 2 completely from its servers but actually pulled the plug on the Media Creation Tool that allows users to download the official ISOs.

And yet, while the Media Creation Tool is no longer displayed on the Windows 10 download page, the links are up and running. This means that you can still download the Media Creation Tool and create a bootable USB stick with Windows 10 Threshold 2 just like before.

8. NavyLCDR New Member

Correct. Download the above media creation tool. It will show you the recommended version of Windows 10 to upgrade what you are currently running. Either "upgrade this PC now", or download to upgrade another PC and either create a USB flash drive or save the ISO file.

If you create the USB drive, do not boot from it. Just insert it with your Windows 7 running and run setup.exe from it. Or use a program like UtraISO to mount the ISO file and run setup.exe from it. Skip when it asks you to check for updates. If it asks for a product, stop and cancel - something is wrong, it should not ask for a product key when upgrading Windows 7 to 10.

NavyLCDR, Nov 22, 2015
  9. BRU
    bru Win User
    I assume this will work with Windows 8.1 also? I am confused by the last 48 hours. If I follow your instructions will I be installing Windows 10 Threshold 2 from the get go? If yes I am thinking I will have lost the 30 day rollback. What to do if installing Win 10 for the first time?

10. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you create the USB or download the ISO from Kyhi's link in post #5 you will get Windows 10 Threshold 2. You can upgrade from Windows 8.1 with it. In Windows 8.1, you don't need UltraISO to mount the ISO file, Windows 8.1 has that capability built in. When you upgrade to Windows 10 Threshold 2 you will get 30 days to roll back to whatever version of Windows you upgraded from - it could be Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 build 10240 - whatever was installed when you did the upgrade.

NavyLCDR, Nov 23, 2015
  11. BRU
    bru Win User
    Thank you. Now that I know the mechanics I guess the final question is if installing Windows 10 for the first time does it make sense to go straight to Threshold 2?

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would say yes. I believe that Microsoft pulled build 10586 because it was too easy to activate with a non-legitimate Windows 7/8/8.1 product key. So, I suspect in the future they are going to release the update again with a different activation scheme. So, I am guessing that you will save yourself a big upgrade in the near future by just going to build 10586 from the beginning. There is more in the upgrade from 10240 to 10586 then just the new activation methods.

NavyLCDR, Nov 23, 2015
  13. BRU
    bru Win User

I'm sure this is a real newbie question but if I plan to do an upgrade to Windows 10, when I run the downloaded MCT which contains build 10586 must I select "Create installation media for another PC" and then use the USB to install? Or can I select "Upgrade this PC now" and still get Threshold 2 installed?

14. Kyhi Win User
    You can use either method..

I prefer to "Create installation media for another PC" so as to get and keep the Setup media ISO

Thema:

1. Confused about the ISO file? - Similar Threads - Confused ISO file

2. confused about onedrive files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    confused about onedrive files: Hello,I am just confused about OneDrive files. I don't understand if they are also on my pc or not. I am including the storage screen shot and see if anyone can figure it out. To me it looks like they are taking space on the pc. Am I wrong? and if that is so what could I...
  3. confused about onedrive files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    confused about onedrive files: Hello,I am just confused about OneDrive files. I don't understand if they are also on my pc or not. I am including the storage screen shot and see if anyone can figure it out. To me it looks like they are taking space on the pc. Am I wrong? and if that is so what could I...
  4. Confused about Explorer.exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Confused about Explorer.exe: When I open Task manger and switch to system Process I saw explorer.exe. What does it mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/confused-about-explorerexe/ca36a691-3b45-4935-9033-bc50482b3ccf
  5. Confused about Explorer.exe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Confused about Explorer.exe: When I open Task manger and switch to system Process I saw explorer.exe. What does it mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/confused-about-explorerexe/ca36a691-3b45-4935-9033-bc50482b3ccf
  6. Confused about Updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Confused about Updates: Hi, I've spent a few hours this morning trying to update Windows then furiously back-peddle after reading horror stories online - throw in a Repairing Disc Errors screen... you get the idea. But I'm confused about what I should do now. Under Windows Update I have: Feature...
  7. confusion about network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    confusion about network: Looking into Network and Sharing Centre I see two networks: - Network 2, Access type Internet, Connections Ethernet -Unidentified network, Access type Internet, Connections Ethernet There is one network adapter (Realtek) which contains both names (Network 2, Unidentified...
  8. Confused about backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Confused about backup: [img] I'm new to Win 10 and yesterday tried to back up my files for the first time. I went to setting>update & security>backup and tried to backup on a flash drive (to transfer to ext. HD), but got a message that files not yet backed up. I then exported my Firefox folders...
  9. Confused about Imaging

in Windows 10 Support
    Confused about Imaging: Ok so I have been making System Images with Windows 7 (and now Windows 10) for a long time now, onto a portable hard drive. I rename them afterwards to things like "HpJune2016cleaninstall" so I know which one is which. I just read somewhere that to restore an image it has to...
  10. Confused about OneDrive

in Windows 10 Support
    Confused about OneDrive: First post, as a newcomer to Win 10 after 15 years with XP (and all previous Windows OS versions). On this page Files save to OneDrive by default in Windows 10 I'm reading an explanation of OneDrive: "While you can always choose where to save files that you create,...