Windows 10: Consensus- deploy OEM imaged machine or Fresh Install

Discus and support Consensus- deploy OEM imaged machine or Fresh Install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I have a freshly minted Tier1 who is 6 months into her "new" IT career(never worked in IT previously) who is arguing that taking a new system out of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by womprat56, Feb 21, 2017.

1. womprat56 Win User

Consensus- deploy OEM imaged machine or Fresh Install

So I have a freshly minted Tier1 who is 6 months into her "new" IT career(never worked in IT previously) who is arguing that taking a new system out of the box and doing an Upgrade from Win 10 Home to Pro is the more expedited and in her words, "less redundant" method to deploy, than to take the time to create a USB installer and build the image from scratch, despite my instructing otherwise(Tier2/Admin in current role myself).

I have been at this for a couple of decades, and i have always recommended in an enterprise environment to create new images for deployed systems.

Lets hear your thoughts, those who do this for a living.

New image or upgrade from an OEM image?*Cool

:)

womprat56, Feb 21, 2017

2. Possible to sysprep an upgraded Windows 10 image, on an OEM machine?

Previously, I have been able to install the OEM build of Windows 8.1 on an OEM system (in this case a Lenovo laptop) and then sysprep and capture the image in order to use it as a base image for deployment on other similarly licensed OEM laptops in my enterprise
    environment.

However, if I perform an upgrade to Windows 10, sysprep the machine, and then capture and try to redeploy the image to another machine in a clean zero-state (or even the same machine), the post-deploy process prompts me to enter the license key for Windows
    10, rather than reading the system motherboard to identify that the system is a qualifying OEM upgradable to Windows 10 system.

So is it possible to perform a sysprep of an upgraded Windows 10 system, or do I need to have new base install media from the OEM that contains a valid activation key?

OneTech IT, Feb 21, 2017
  3. Can an OEM license key for Win 10 Pro be changed to a Campus Volume license key for Win 10 Pro for mass imaging?

I think there is a misunderstanding of how imaging works. Reimaging rights are based on the machine being properly licensed to allow the volume license upgrade to be installed. The machines don't have to be upgraded with a volume license key, if they are
    already licensed with the proper premium business sku (in your case Windows 10 Pro OEM). What you should be doing is have your Volume License reference deployment image with the key already embedded and whatever software you want to deploy, then reimage the
    machine using something like deployment kit.

Andre Da Costa, Feb 21, 2017
  4. Ztruker Win User

New image. You have total control of what is installed, no typical OEM crapware.
    Always make an image backup of the system before you nuke it though, just in case something goes wrong.

Win 10 Home to Pro is just a install key change I believe so it's definitely the faster method.

How to Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

Ztruker, Feb 22, 2017
  5. pparks1 Win User
    New install, always. Windows 10 finds almost all hardware without any extra drivers these days. And it only takes about 10-15 minutes. Might as well keep it clean.

pparks1, Feb 22, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I boot a new computer from a Macrium Reflect rescue drive - do an image backup of the hard drive/SSD, then do a clean install. Sometimes, but not often, you might need a manufacturer specific driver that you can retrieve from the backup image. With one cheap tablet from WalMart, I had to go back to the backup image and look in the original registry to find the setting to make the screen rotate in the right direction.

NavyLCDR, Feb 22, 2017
  7. Fafhrd Win User
    I find this thread strange.

Rather than soliciting consensus on deployment, what's your enterprise's policy regarding purchase and deployment?

In an enterprise environment, I doubt if purchasing OEM-installed Windows Home Edition would be considered, except for very much smaller businesses.

Your young colleague is probably right in the practicalities of upgrading OEM machines, but does this aid the continuing software audit responsibilities your organization has?

It would certainly be less cost effective to order Core units and then upgrade to Pro licenses than to order OEM Pro in the first place.

It's also the sort of practice that encourages misuse of licenses, and does not help in the event of theft or disaster recovery management when it's essential to get up and running again quickly.

Even so, Microsoft will be happy to direct you to one of their Partners to discuss the costs of enterprise-wide deployment at whatever scale your organization requires.

Microsoft has been at this business for many decades now, and Windows10 offers different opportunities than earlier versions with a changed licensing approach for home users. However, the business licensing approach is pretty much the same for Windows10 Enterprise as some of its predecessors, and allows for growth of the business in a controlled manner, unlike the practice of adding OEM home PCs ad-lib and having a bunch of separate upgrade licenses to look after.

Fafhrd, Feb 22, 2017
  8. fireberd Win User

Same question posted and answered on sevenforums.com

fireberd, Feb 22, 2017
  9. womprat56 Win User
    Thank you, poster!

"Same question posted and answered on sevenforums.com"

Yes it is, not all users browse both forums, we are introducing 10 to a 7 Pro environment. Its a poll-ish question, 2 answers don't mean=the masses of IT pros in my opinion. I hope more pros chime in, kinda the point.

"I find this thread strange."

Please re-read the question , this isnt an infrastructure policies debate, but more simply a best practices imaging in an enterprise domain. It is my hope to simply focus on that, thanks in advance!

Home version OS can come in on 1-off purchases as we sometimes see when the boss pulls the trigger on an impulse system purchase for his CFO pal, sidestepping SOP within the IT department for purchases, that point is moot. IT still has to image and deploy correctly. Every IT shop I have had the pleasure of working in has dealt with this sort of thing, so about a dozen. Kind of a PIA but CIO wants, CIO gets.
    This isnt a licensing matter either, we have that covered.

womprat56, Feb 22, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    Most business set a number of group policies eg to limit access to control panel.

This it only makes sense to create a standard image which has bwen sysprepped to remove hardware drivers or use a tool like Macrium Reflect (commercial version) with licences to redeploy images to multiple pcs.

It makes no sense to clean install each time as labour cost would be too high to customise each install to company requirements.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Consensus- deploy OEM imaged machine or Fresh Install - Similar Threads - Consensus deploy OEM

2. BSOD - New machine, fresh win11 installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD - New machine, fresh win11 installation: I occasionally encounter BSOD with my new machine. Mostly running stable but without any real cause it could throw a BSOD and restart my system.Below are my minidumps:https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoGRdkH-FEyKr3k-qNhYn6TTJMAM?e=gbwlz9...
  3. BSOD - New machine, fresh install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD - New machine, fresh install: New computer, fresh install, and I'm getting strange behavior.I've had 3 random reboots without any warning and 2 bluescreens with logs below.You can find the dump logs here:https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoGRdkH-FEyKr3k-qNhYn6TTJMAM?e=6n6qPrAny help appreciated....
  4. BSOD - New machine, fresh install

BSOD - New machine, fresh install: New computer, fresh install, and I'm getting strange behavior.I've had 3 random reboots without any warning and 2 bluescreens with logs below.You can find the dump logs here:https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoGRdkH-FEyKr3k-qNhYn6TTJMAM?e=6n6qPrAny help appreciated....
  5. How to install a non-OEM version of Windows on a OEM machine?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install a non-OEM version of Windows on a OEM machine?: I have a old laptop on which I am doing some cleaning from the software side. I want to install Windows the retail way instead of the OEM way, without actually buying a copy of Windows, because I already have while buying this laptop....
  6. How to install a non-OEM version of Windows on a OEM machine?

How to install a non-OEM version of Windows on a OEM machine?: I have a old laptop on which I am doing some cleaning from the software side. I want to install Windows the retail way instead of the OEM way, without actually buying a copy of Windows, because I already have while buying this laptop....
  7. Fresh install needed but no OEM disc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh install needed but no OEM disc: Win 10 Home Ver 1903 Build 18362.778 No disc because this Dell didn't come with one. This has been my main desktop since Dec 2013. The OS has developed strange system problems* that I'm afraid might transfer over to an upgrade. Today's question is: I'd rather do a clean...
  8. Any easy tool to deploy GPT layout for a fresh install

Any easy tool to deploy GPT layout for a fresh install: Hello. I am still sticking to good ole MBR layout partitioning because it works fine for me (and for my backups) and I admit I do not understand GPT layout that much. I have been reading about it but the concept still escapes me. It seems weird for me and I feel it lacks...
  9. Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine

Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine: My new Dell Inspiron laptop should arrive this coming Monday. I've been doing some research on doing a clean install. I read where MS won't activate a fresh install over an OEM key. So my Dell with OEM W10 will be activated as such and if I understand correctly if I download...
  10. Using 1511 for fresh install and image

Using 1511 for fresh install and image: On 18th October I posted about using a windows 10 image to upgrade several machines and was advised that it was not possible. I have just downloaded from Tech Bench (link on this forum) and the file is called Win10_1511_English_x64. I thought Microsoft withdrew this...