Windows 10: Control panel causes explorer.exe to restart

Discus and support Control panel causes explorer.exe to restart in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When every i open control panel, it opens for about 2 seconds, closes, and explorer.exe (The taskbar, desktop) "refreshes". Any ideas how to fix... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jman1505, Jun 20, 2016.

1. jman1505 Win User

Control panel causes explorer.exe to restart

When every i open control panel, it opens for about 2 seconds, closes, and explorer.exe (The taskbar, desktop) "refreshes".
    Any ideas how to fix this?

P.S. sfc/scannow couldn't repair some stuff. I attached the sfcdetails.txt

:)

jman1505, Jun 20, 2016

2. HELP! explorer.exe keeps crashing. [Windows 10]

About every 10 to 20 seconds explorer.exe causes my disk usage to reach 100% and subsequently crashes and restarts. I haven't been able to access my control panel, the app store, or windows explorer without it crashing and closing whatever it is I'm viewing.
    I've ended explorer.exe using task manager to see if it was something else that was causing the high disk usage but when I did that memory, disk, and CPU usage we're within a normal range.

WalterMitchellYG, Jun 20, 2016
  3. Windows 10 "Display driver stopped responding" and wierd Start Menu with AMD

Update: I've done a 'reset' via the control panel and the problem still occurs : (

I've found a quick fix through restarting explorer.exe in the task manager, this seems to restore the menu. However it would be great if there was a more permanent solution.

Ben

Benjimon_t, Jun 20, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

5. f14tomcat Win User
    Your SFCDETAILS indicates it was some Avast components that could not be verified. Avast is a 3rd party Anti-Virus. I would suggest you completely uninstall Avast thru Programs and Features, then download the following Avast Uninstall Utility | Download aswClear for Avast Removal and run it, following the instructions carefully. Then reboot and see if the problem persists. TC

EDIT: There is a similar problem with upgrading to Windows 10 from Win 7 and involving Avast discussed here: Solved HELP with SFC after DVD upgrade to 10 please - Windows 10 Forums

f14tomcat, Jun 21, 2016
  6. jman1505 Win User
    I uninstalled avast but it didnt fix it. I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10, but that shouldn't be a problem cause i used to be able to open control panel (Don't ask how long ago, i've had this problem for a while)

jman1505, Jun 21, 2016
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    Since you have uninstall Avast, could you do the sfc /scannow again, please, and post the results.

f14tomcat, Jun 21, 2016
  8. f14tomcat Win User

jman1505.... could you open the control panel while you were still on 8.1? When did you upgrade to Win 10?

f14tomcat, Jun 21, 2016
  9. jman1505 Win User
    I installed win 10 long ago, around august when it first came out. I used to be able to open control panel in win 8.1 and win 10. But a few months ago, when i opened the control panel, it closed on me and refreshed my desktop.

I'll try to upload the log in event viewer when sfc scan is finished

jman1505, Jun 21, 2016
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    open a run box, win key+R, type WINVER, enter. Post the screen it shows.

f14tomcat, Jun 21, 2016
  11. jman1505 Win User
    Here's the log in event viewer

Control panel causes explorer.exe to restart [​IMG]

Winver

Control panel causes explorer.exe to restart [​IMG]

jman1505, Jun 21, 2016
  12. f14tomcat Win User
    The module IDTNC64.dll is crashing explorer. Did you install any audio software before the problem started? Please look at this article. And thanks for the winver shot.

windows.exe keeps crashing every second : Windows10

f14tomcat, Jun 21, 2016
  13. jman1505 Win User

I didn't install any audio software at all.
    According to the top reddit post, should i go ahead and uninstall IDT Audio, restart, and let windows reinstall it?

jman1505, Jun 21, 2016
  14. f14tomcat Win User
    That sounds like an excellent idea! It may be a piece leftover from your 8.1 ---> 10 upgrade. That certainly can't hurt to try.

f14tomcat, Jun 21, 2016
  15. jman1505 Win User
    Control panel is all fixed now. IDT audio didn't reinstall but i've gotten audio from YouTube videos and i've tested audio in Volume Mixer, so that's good.
    Thanks for the Help!

jman1505, Jun 21, 2016
Thema:

1. Control panel causes explorer.exe to restart - Similar Threads - Control panel causes

2. windows explorer and windows control panel not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows explorer and windows control panel not working: whenever i try to open windows explorer it just shows a transparent window with nothing in it, i cant acces control panel and windows explorer, pls help!!!!!...
  3. windows explorer and windows control panel not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows explorer and windows control panel not working: whenever i try to open windows explorer it just shows a transparent window with nothing in it, i cant acces control panel and windows explorer, pls help!!!!!...
  4. KB5017846 Killed file explorer and control panel.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5017846 Killed file explorer and control panel.: I am running Windows 11 Enterprise 22h2. When KB5017846 installed we lost file explorer and control panel on both our desktop systems. Removing the update restored their operation.Anyone else seen this? I can remember back in the day we used to be able to ban certain updates...
  5. KB5017846 Killed file explorer and control panel.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5017846 Killed file explorer and control panel.: I am running Windows 11 Enterprise 22h2. When KB5017846 installed we lost file explorer and control panel on both our desktop systems. Removing the update restored their operation.Anyone else seen this? I can remember back in the day we used to be able to ban certain updates...
  6. Control Panel

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Control Panel: I want to uninstall a program/application but control panel says that there is a program currently uninstalling or being changed but I don't see the program and I do not believe I chose one to change in the first place. [ATTACH]...
  7. game panel exe

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    game panel exe: bonjour depuis quelques jours en lançant assassins creed 2 j'ai un message gamepanel.exe Windows ne peut reconnaître la signature numérique et cela m'empêche d utiliser assassins creed quelqu'un connaît il la solution à ce problème si oui je suis preneur cordialement...
  8. Cant open control panel / explorer refreshes

in Windows 10 Support
    Cant open control panel / explorer refreshes: Not sure when this issue arrised but i tried to adjust my sound devices today going to start>control panel and the screen blinks while explorer refreshes...? I did an SFC /SCANNOW and it found some corruption and repaired it. I rebooted and same problem. Did a virus...
  9. Control Panel

in Windows 10 Support
    Control Panel: I 'upgraded' to Windows 10 yesterday and initially found the control panel but can no longer find it. I very badly want to change my wallpaper and screen saver. Where is it? 26489
  10. cant open file explorer, control panel...

in Windows 10 Support
    cant open file explorer, control panel...: Weird issue with Acer CB280HK 4k Monitor So, I was lucky enough to get a new monitor and new pc the other day; a dell xps 8700, and for purposes of this discussion, the video card set up is a intel hd graphics 4600 board, and a Nvidia GTX745, with 4 gigs of ram. The...
Tags: