Windows 10: Controlled folder access is greyed out

Discus and support Controlled folder access is greyed out in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; In the new Fall update there is a controlled folder access option. Which I would much like to use. I think it is meant to be on by default, for at... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by terryBernstein, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Controlled folder access is greyed out

In the new Fall update there is a controlled folder access option. Which I would much like to use. I think it is meant to be on by default, for at least basic protection.. Mine is both off and greyed out so that I can not turn it on. I've read a couple of random internet postings that say this could be either; it's not available to the Home edition ( I have the home edition) or it won't work with third party AV software running. I have BitDefender free.
    I see no reference in Microsoft's description to this new function that confirms either of these. Is there a solution, or at least a verifiable explanation?

:)

terryBernstein, Oct 24, 2017
  2. NickP2 Win User

Windows 10 Blocked mrt.exe by administrator and refuses to run MRT

Controlled folder access is GREYED out and wont let me toggle it, but it is in the off position.

NickP2, Oct 24, 2017
  3. Controlled Folder Access disabled/greyed out.

Thanks, How stupid that is. You can only protect these folders if you remove your other (better) AV protection

TerryBernsteinwwwww, Oct 24, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Controlled folder access is greyed out

Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10 Security System Tutorials

Though I'm not sure it'll help with it being greyed out.
    Maybe this comment is relevant:
    With a 3rd party AV installed Defender's real-time scanning would be disabled.

There is a comment in the tutorial following it asking about the Home edition, but the Tutorial does not exclude that from what I read.

More here:
    Windows 10's "Controlled Folder Access" Anti-Ransomware Feature Is Now Live

It's often worth searching the extensive Tutorial section:
    Windows 10 Tutorial Index Tutorials

dalchina, Oct 24, 2017
  5. That's it then. Real Time protection is off and can't be turned on. How stupid! Protecting folders from unauthorised programme access is totally different from general AV protection. Why should one be tied to the other. Or is this Microsoft trying to force us to use their relatively poor AV protection instead of the various well regarded alternatives.

6. dalchina New Member
    - and not even some sort of helpful indication - like 'You can't use this because you've chosen not to use my lovely real time protection- so I'm sulking!'

dalchina, Oct 24, 2017
  7. Yeah. and the really annoying thing for me is that it was my cunning plan to use this to protect my backuppartitions/external USB hdd so that if the main partitions get nuked by ransomware I can rely on the automatic backups. (Only the B/U software programmes - Macrium and a separate file b/u utilty would be allowed to write to those drives). *Sad
    It seemed the ideal solution to the problem that ransomware will attack any connected drive - but regularly doing manual backups to a device that is then removed defeats the object of automatic backups. ( I do have a backup on a spare drive, that I update from time to time and I've stuff in various free "cloud" accounts too).

8. dalchina New Member

Good idea.. In the past there was some light-hearted discussion about controlling power to backup drives. If you do something obscure enough that ransomware etc won't replicate it, that protects your drives, assuming they need only be accessible on a known schedule.

And if powered down, they are protected even from power spikes.

Personally I'd not trust a new MS feature near my backups.

dalchina, Oct 24, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Controlled folder access is greyed out - Similar Threads - Controlled folder access

2. controlled folder access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    controlled folder access: When trying to open Controlled Folder Access, a window opened that said the IT administrator had restricted access to this page. The computer is my personal PC and I have no IT Administrator. How do I retrieve access to this page?...
  3. Location access is greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Location access is greyed out: Same issue in W10Pro and W11Pro.Location access is off and greyed out.In W10 it tells me "Some of my settings are managed by my organization" However both PCs are mine self-build and I have Admin rights.W10 gives me 9 configured update policies set on the device Source:...
  4. Location access is greyed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Location access is greyed out: Same issue in W10Pro and W11Pro.Location access is off and greyed out.In W10 it tells me "Some of my settings are managed by my organization" However both PCs are mine self-build and I have Admin rights.W10 gives me 9 configured update policies set on the device Source:...
  5. Location access is greyed out

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. controlled folder access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    controlled folder access: My real-time protection, cloud-delivered protection, automatic sample submission, tamper protections all are off. I try to on it. but it doesn't work. It says to on the controlled folder access. but when I try to on that option. it doesn't work. It says, "protects files,...
  7. Controlled folder access cant be turn on its grey

Controlled folder access cant be turn on its grey: So, Basically i had to install a software but windows defender blocked it thats why i turn it off and download and install. Since that moment i cant turn on my windows defender and its grey cant even click it. Controlled folder access is also grey i cant turn on either and...
  8. Controlled Folder Access

Controlled Folder Access: Trying to use Controlled Folder access on a couple of machines. I am running into an issue where after about a day defender notifications no longer appear in the action center nor are they logged by defender in event viewer. If i look in event viewer at the defender...
  9. Controlled folder access

Controlled folder access: For the last week the controlled folder access is blocking my Quicken program from updating or downloading anything. When I click on the notice it takes me to the allow app but when I open that to choose to allow app nothing is there! I really need to use my Quicken. How do...
  10. control panel options greyed out

in Windows 10 Support
    control panel options greyed out: when trying to use control panel most options are greyed out or do not respond 23266

Users found this page by searching for:

1. controlled folder access greyed out

2. controlled folder access real-time protection greyed out