Windows 10: Controlled folder access is very strict!

Discus and support Controlled folder access is very strict! in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; So, I recently clean installed Fall Creators Update, then enabled WinX IP Fast ring to get back on build 17046. When going through all of the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by johngalt, Nov 29, 2017.

1. johngalt Win User

Controlled folder access is very strict!

So, I recently clean installed Fall Creators Update, then enabled WinX IP Fast ring to get back on build 17046.

When going through all of the settings in Settings, I finally got to Update and Security and then opened Windows Defender Security Center. In tooling around, I went to Virus & threat protection settings and saw that, by default, a setting called Controlled folder access is disabled. After reading up on it, I decide to give it a try, and enabled it.

Controlled folder access is very strict! [​IMG]

First thing to note - every time I installed a browser (or, most any other application that saves its icon to the common desktop) I got a warning about it from the system. OK, no big deal, as I usually remove most of my application desktop icons anyway, so, that was a check in the win column for me. If I really wanted to allow the application to save its desktop icon, there is a method to allow exceptions on a per-application basis (all or nothing, unfortunately).

Then something really, really odd happened. I went to make a screenshot to use at another forum, using standard Snipping tool and trying to save it to my normal Pictures folder.

Defender blocked it. Seriously.

Controlled folder access is very strict! [​IMG]

That is one strict setting. But I think that, overall, I like its operation.

YMMV - be sure to do some reading on this feature before just running willy nilly to Defender and enabling it *Cool

:)

johngalt, Nov 29, 2017
  2. jagman55 Win User

Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access is blocking VLC media player

I posted somewhere on this post a very detail, step by step on how to cure the issue within Win 10.

jagman55, Nov 29, 2017
  3. Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access is blocking VLC media player

Do you have Version 1709? Check at Settings > System > About.

After choosing Virus & Threat Protection categorys, did you then choose Virus & Threat Protection Settings? It should be there. It's the only extra control Defender has to do something like that, in the latest version. But default setting is Off so it might
    have been toggled on by a bloatware antivirus. Which do you have?

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 29, 2017
  4. Controlled folder access is very strict!

Caledon Ken, Nov 29, 2017
  5. johngalt Win User
    Should have known (and searched) for that - thanks

johngalt, Nov 29, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    One word of warning John, It just happened to me:
    If you have folders on other hard disks in your system, like I do(see my system specs), and you hve them protected by controlled access, and did not turn them off, then do a clean install, you will have permission problems, and need to take permission of all the other disks, manually. I tried using the "Take Ownership" from Shawn, but it wasn't enough. I need to go down to many... many subfolders(example music) and add my Microsoft account to the permission list.
    But this is only if you have no choice other than clean installing, because Windows will not boot, and you cannot repair the boot loader.

Cliff S, Nov 29, 2017
  7. johngalt Win User
    I read that in the tutorial, probably while you were posting this here.

Interestingly enough, since I user multiple HDDs myself, I was immediately reminded that I have had this issue occur numerous times before this feature was available in Defender. Sometimes a clean install had 0 issues with reassigning a folder on another drive as the default location for one of the football folders, and someone's it balls and I have to take ownership of said folder (which I usually just take ownership of the entire drive, instead).

This had been happening since back on the days of Windows 7, so obviously not directly related to this new Defender feature, but regardless, your warning is duly noted.

johngalt, Nov 29, 2017
  8. Cliff S New Member

I have a post at the end of the thread somewhere, that explains more of what happened, but if you already of knowledge about this, you're way ahead of where I was. It sucked*chuckle

Cliff S, Nov 29, 2017
  9. johngalt Win User
    It was from 3 days ago, next to last post in tutorial thread.

But, yeah, using multiple drives is a great idea, until that very first time when something gives you a permission error and you try to fix it, and end up taking ownership of the entire drive.

Every clean install after that negates your old ownership as the SID changes, and though WinX will tell you the exact SID that had ownership of the item(s) in question, unless you make a custom install .ISO and force it yourself (if that can even be done), you'll end up with needing to take ownership again. And again. And yet again.

Fortunately, even on large capacity drives, it doesn't take too long for me, maybe ~20 for all drives (2x 1TB + 1x 1.5TB).

johngalt, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Controlled folder access is very strict! - Similar Threads - Controlled folder access

2. controlled folder access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    controlled folder access: When trying to open Controlled Folder Access, a window opened that said the IT administrator had restricted access to this page. The computer is my personal PC and I have no IT Administrator. How do I retrieve access to this page?...
  3. controlled folder access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    controlled folder access: When trying to open Controlled Folder Access, a window opened that said the IT administrator had restricted access to this page. The computer is my personal PC and I have no IT Administrator. How do I retrieve access to this page?...
  4. controller folder access

in Windows 10 Customization
    controller folder access: ***moved on english forum***Hello,I recently install street of rage 4, But i have an error saying:i try to go to windows security/ virus and threat protection section, i can not find "controller folder access"i try to search it and i find it:But when i click on it, it's...
  5. Controlled Folder Access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Controlled Folder Access: I'm attempting to set some files as exceptions because the windows defender program appears to be the problem. Unfortunately, when I went to try to change the settings this came up. [ATTACH] I'm the only account on this computer, what is going on?...
  6. controlled folder access

controlled folder access: My real-time protection, cloud-delivered protection, automatic sample submission, tamper protections all are off. I try to on it. but it doesn't work. It says to on the controlled folder access. but when I try to on that option. it doesn't work. It says, "protects files,...
  7. CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS: MY CONTOLLED FOLDER ACCESS WILL NOT TURN ON https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/controlled-folder-access/7c2fdde9-b968-47ee-88b5-b8411d7e02b9
  8. strict access of my acc

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    strict access of my acc: hi so i typed my email and i did not notice it then i changed hardware of my device now i can 't fix it cuz my activation is now gone and to get my activation back i need to have access to my email now the guy that i typed his email can change my laptop 's password plz help...
  9. Controlled Folder Access

Controlled Folder Access: Trying to use Controlled Folder access on a couple of machines. I am running into an issue where after about a day defender notifications no longer appear in the action center nor are they logged by defender in event viewer. If i look in event viewer at the defender...
  10. Controlled folder access

Controlled folder access: For the last week the controlled folder access is blocking my Quicken program from updating or downloading anything. When I click on the notice it takes me to the allow app but when I open that to choose to allow app nothing is there! I really need to use my Quicken. How do...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows controlled folder access blocking cmd.exe

2. windows defender controlled folder access too strict

3. controlled folder access is too strict