Windows 10: Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows

Discus and support Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows How to Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows [img] Information FAT32... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows

How to: Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows

How to Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows

Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows [​IMG]
    Information FAT32 (File Address Table 32) and NTFS (New Technology File System) are two different file systems that can be used to format a volume on a disk in Windows.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to convert NTFS to FAT32 volumes without data loss in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to convert FAT32 to NTFS.

Note FAT32 vs NTFS Basic Comparison:

[table][tr][td]FAT32[/td] [td]NTFS[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Introduced in 1977.[/td] [td]Introduced in July 1993.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Supports maximum file size of 4 GB.[/td] [td]File size only limited by size of volume.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Supports maximum volume size of 32 GB.[/td] [td]Supports maximum volume size of 2 TB.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Does not support file Previous Versions.[/td] [td]Supports Previous Versions.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Does not support disk quotas.[/td] [td]Supports disk quotas.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Does not support reparse points.[/td] [td]Supports reparse points.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Does not support sparse files.[/td] [td]Supports sparse files.[/td] [/tr] [/table]

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Convert FAT32 to NTFS using Command Prompt without Data Loss
    • Option Two: Convert FAT32 to NTFS using AOMEI NTFS to FAT32 Converter without Data Loss

OPTION ONE [/i] Convert FAT32 to NTFS using Command Prompt without Data Loss
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type the command below, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    convert <drive letter>: /fs:ntfs

Note Substitute <drive letter> in the command above with the actual drive letter (ex: "G") of the FAT32 volume you want to convert to NTFS.

For example: convert G: /fs:ntfs

3. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Convert FAT32 to NTFS using AOMEI NTFS to FAT32 Converter without Data Loss
    1. If you haven't already, you will need to download and install the free AOMEI NTFS to FAT32 Converter.

2. Open Aomei Ntfs2Fat32 Pro Edition.

3. Select (dot) the FAT32 to NTFS option, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

4. Select the FAT32 volume you want to convert to NTFS, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on Proceed to start the conversion. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

7. The conversion will now start. (see screenshot below)

8. Click/tap on OK when the conversion has completed successfully. (see screenshot below)

9. Click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

10. You can now close Aomei Ntfs2Fat32 Pro Edition if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Feb 14, 2017
  2. sml156 Win User

Is it safe to convert USB Drive format from FAT32 to NTFS

It is safe to convert the drive to NTFS but it will overwrite anything that's on there now. If you have any files on there that you do not want to loose you will have to save them somewhere else and then do the format.

Brink from TenForums wrote a tutorial on how change the format without loosing your data, But I would suggest saving it somewhere else just to be on the safe side.
    Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows Windows 10 Hardware Drivers Tutorials

sml156, Oct 26, 2019
  3. In W10, how can a FAT32 disc be converted to NTFS?

Hi,

You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command. Important Once you convert a drive or partition to NTFS, you cannot simply convert it back to FAT or
    FAT32. You will need to reformat the drive or partition which will erase all data, including programs and personal files, on the partition.

How to Convert FAT Disks to NTFS - technet.microsoft.com

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456984.aspx

Smittychat., Oct 26, 2019
  4. LandonAZ Win User

In W10, how can a FAT32 disc be converted to NTFS?

I have an external IDE hard drive formatted with FAT32 with data that I want to keep. How can I convert that to a NTFS drive without losing data? My computer is using W10 and the files can be read properly but want to change the FAT32 drive to a NTFS
    formatted drive.

LandonAZ, Oct 26, 2019
  5. fredde Win User
    Convert partition from Fat32 to Ntfs

Hi everybody.
    I converted my root partition from Fat32 to Ntfs using Partitionmagic. I did some research prior to the conversion and was assured there would not be any issues. Well,I was wrong. I lost activation to Quickbooks and was able to repair without that much of a problem. I also had to re-activate my WinXp. Is this normal? Does windows see the h/d as a new h/d after converting to ntfs on the root partition?

Thanks.

fredde, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Kursah Win User
    Converting from FAT32 to NTFS

I've converted from FAT32 to NTFS before...usually on a fresh install..but my old secondary HDD wasn't formatted, and I still converted it w/o issues.

NTFS is just a more stable file structure, supposedly less fragmentation. It's just the modern interface standard IMO...kinda like AGP was and now PCI-e is.

Shouldn't take very long...but that depends on hardware speed, ammount of crap on your HDD's and such...if worried, make a backup of your files or at least the important ones just to make sure.

*Toast :toast:

Kursah, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows - Similar Threads - Convert FAT32 NTFS

2. How to convert RAW SSD to NTFS without losing data?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to convert RAW SSD to NTFS without losing data?: I just open my laptop and suddenly it wont boot up. It goes to BSOD then advance boot options and just loops until forever. I found out my SSD is the problem.I tried plugging my SSD into another laptop using external enclosure and it only detects the SSD for a moment then...
  3. How to convert RAW SSD to NTFS without losing data?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to convert RAW SSD to NTFS without losing data?: I just open my laptop and suddenly it wont boot up. It goes to BSOD then advance boot options and just loops until forever. I found out my SSD is the problem.I tried plugging my SSD into another laptop using external enclosure and it only detects the SSD for a moment then...
  4. How to convert RAW SSD to NTFS without losing data?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Converting FAT32 drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Converting FAT32 drive to NTFS: It says that my drive already an NTFS when I go to my advanced startup cmd. But when I go look at in properties it still shows that it's a FAT32 drive. [IMG][ATTACH]...
  6. Is there a way to convert dynamic disk to basic without data loss ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is there a way to convert dynamic disk to basic without data loss ?: I have dynamic disk about 2.7TB (GPT), i need to convert it to the basic without data loss. Is there any program that can do that ? I tried couple nothing worked. Paid of free doesn't matter. 149391
  7. Compatibility FAT32 to NTFS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Compatibility FAT32 to NTFS: Question is a flash drive formatted in FAT32 upward compatible to Windows 10 NTFS. If not what are the symptoms of incompatibility.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compatibility-fat32-to-ntfs/bbb8d2e0-5c09-4397-b909-ad8611da7ac0
  8. NTFS or FAT32

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    NTFS or FAT32: Hello. I have a copy of bootable Windows 10 on my 8gb flashdrive. The ISO was probably 4.7gb or 4.8gb and was from the April Update. I decided to delete it and download the October Update to use as a copy. I used Rufus but since the update has 5gb+ of files, and Rufus...
  9. Converting an mbr install to UEFI without loss of data.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Converting an mbr install to UEFI without loss of data.: Just seen a well presented video that shows how to convert an mbr based installation of windows to a UEFI based install without reinstalling OS and losing data. Convert Windows 7/8/10 Installation from Legacy to UEFI Without Data Loss (Simpler Method) - YouTube...
  10. Convert NTFS to FAT32 without Data Loss in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert NTFS to FAT32 without Data Loss in Windows: How to: Convert NTFS to FAT32 without Data Loss in Windows How to Convert NTFS to FAT32 without Data Loss in Windows [img] Information FAT32 (File Address Table 32) and NTFS (New Technology File System) are two different file systems that can be used to format a...