Windows 10: Determine Account Type in Windows 10

Discus and support Determine Account Type in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Determine Account Type in Windows 10 How to Determine if Users are an Administrator or Standard User in Windows 10 When you set up Windows,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Determine Account Type in Windows 10

How to: Determine Account Type in Windows 10

How to Determine if Users are an Administrator or Standard User in Windows 10

When you set up Windows, you were required to create a user account. This account is an administrator account that allows you to set up your PC and install any apps that you would like to use. When you add an account on your PC in Windows, it will be a standard user account by default.

Standard User - Standard user accounts are good for everyday usage, and can be a UAC prompt for the password of an administrator for approval. If UAC is set to "Never notify", then a standard user will automatically just be denied the elevated action.

Administrator - Administrator accounts have complete access to the PC and can make any desired changes. Administrators can be a UAC prompt for the administrator to confirm (Yes or No) or enter their password first.

This tutorial will show you how to quickly determine if users on the PC are an administrator or standard user account type in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Determine Account Type of Your Account in User Accounts
    • Option Two: To Determine Account Type of Users in User Accounts
    • Option Three: To Determine Account Type of Users in Local Users and Groups
    • Option Four: To Determine Account Type of Users in Command Prompt
    • Option Five: To Determine Account Type of Users in Settings

OPTION ONE [/i] To Determine Account Type of Your Account in User Accounts
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the User Accounts icon.

2. Look under your user name in the box with your account picture. (see screenshot below)
    • If you see Administrator under your user name, then you're account is an administrator.
    • If you don't see Administrator under your user name, then you're account is a standard user.

Determine Account Type in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Determine Account Type of Users in User Accounts
    *note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able do this option.
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the User Accounts icon.

2. Click/tap on the Manage another account link. (see screenshot below)

3. Look under the user name in each box with the user's account picture. (see screenshot below)
    • If you see Administrator under the user name, then the account is an administrator.
    • If you don't see Administrator under the user name, then the account is a standard user.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Determine Account Type of Users in Local Users and Groups
    *note The Local Users and Groups is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.
    1. Press the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog, type lusrmgr.msc, and click/tap on OK to open Local Users and Groups.

2. Click/tap on Groups in the left pane, and double click/tap on the Administrators in the middle pane. (see screenshot below)

3. Look at the user names listed under Members. (see screenshot below)
    • If a user name is listed as a member of the Administrators group, then the account is an administrator.
    • If a user name is not listed as a member of the Administrators group, then the account is a standard user.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Determine Account Type of Users in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter.
    *Arrow net localgroup administrators
    3. Look at the user names listed under Members. (see screenshot below)
    • If a user name is listed as a member of the Administrators group, then the account is an administrator.
    • If a user name is not listed as a member of the Administrators group, then the account is a standard user.

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Determine Account Type of Users in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Accounts icon.

2. Do step 3 (Your info) or step 4 (Family & other users) for which page in Accounts you want to check on.

3. Determine Account Type on "Your info" Page for Current User
    A) Click/tap on Your info on the left side. (see screenshot below)

B) Look under the account picture on the right side.
    • If you see Administrator under the user name, then the account is an administrator.
    • If you don't see Administrator under the user name, then the account is a standard user.

4. Determine Account Type on "Family & other users" Page for Other Users
    A) Click/tap on Family & other users on the left side. (see screenshot below)

B) Look at each user listed under Other users on the right side.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Nov 9, 2016
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Determine Account Type in Windows 10 :(

Zakin, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Vesao Win User
    Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Scrizz Win User
    Windows 10

you don't have to use a Microsoft account....
    I know I'm not.

Scrizz, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Determine Account Type in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Determine Account Type

2. AC adapter wattage and type cannot be determined

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AC adapter wattage and type cannot be determined: How do I tell the laptop what the wattage and type are? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ac-adapter-wattage-and-type-cannot-be-determined/a6f6083e-0bf2-4369-b8fc-510436fee5c8
  3. AC adapter wattage and type cannot be determined

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AC adapter wattage and type cannot be determined: How do I tell the laptop what the wattage and type are? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ac-adapter-wattage-and-type-cannot-be-determined/a6f6083e-0bf2-4369-b8fc-510436fee5c8
  4. AC adapter wattage and type cannot be determined

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows 10 Upgrade fails with "Failed to determine source edition type" it actually is empty!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Upgrade fails with "Failed to determine source edition type" it actually is empty!: I try to Upgrade an old 1909 to 21H2 which succeeded several times before but not with this machine.The error in the setupact.log is the one in the title and the log shows this detail:Source OS: Host SKU Info: Edition = 'Enterprise', Edition Type = '', Installation Type =...
  6. Windows 10 Account Types

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Account Types: Hello, I just purchased a Surface Pro 7 and installed Windows 10 Home 20H2 for home use. I would like to create two account types standard for everyday use & administrative to manage the computer. It appears I am signed in with my microsoft account with administrator...
  7. "AC power wattage and type cannot be determined"

in Windows 10 Support
    "AC power wattage and type cannot be determined": The error message continues: "The battery may not charge. The system will adjust the performance to match the power." My Alienware M15 laptop certainly is doing that. Some of my games are running unacceptably slow or even unplayable. The charger is plugged in all the way....
  8. Change Account Type in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Account Type in Windows 10: How to: Change Account Type in Windows 10 How to Change Account Type of Users in Windows 10 [img] Information When you set up Windows, you were required to create a user account. This account is an administrator account that allows you to set up your PC and install...
  9. Determine if Windows License Type is OEM, Retail, or Volume

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Determine if Windows License Type is OEM, Retail, or Volume: How to: Determine if Windows License Type is OEM, Retail, or Volume How to Determine if Windows License Type is OEM, Retail, or Volume When it comes to purchasing licenses for Windows there are a number of different channels that you can purchase through. The most...
  10. Determine System Memory Size, Speed, and Type in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Determine System Memory Size, Speed, and Type in Windows 10: How to: Determine System Memory Size, Speed, and Type in Windows 10 How to Determine System Memory Size, Speed, and Type in Windows 10 [img] Information Sometimes you may need or want to know how much, the speed, and what type of system memory (RAM) you have installed...