Windows 10: Copied SSD Will Not Boot

Discus and support Copied SSD Will Not Boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have 2 SSD's, one of which I installed Windows 10 on. I copied everything from the Win10 SSD to the other one. It is an exact copy, all of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Argonian, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Argonian Win User

Copied SSD Will Not Boot

I have 2 SSD's, one of which I installed Windows 10 on. I copied everything from the Win10 SSD to the other one. It is an exact copy, all of the partitions are the same and everything. However, the other SSD will not boot. It always gives the message about inserting the boot drive. It does this no matter how/where the new SSD is plugged in. Having just the new one, or having both the old and new ones, no matter what, it will not boot from the new one. Booting from the old one works just fine though.

Is there a way to fix this? Since both the SSD's are exactly the same, I don't understand what could be going wrong.

It should be noted that there was another thread that described this problem, but all the answers involved a boot disk. I don't even have a disk drive, let alone a boot disk.

:)

Argonian, Apr 24, 2016

2. Windows 10 Clean Install Not Starting

Have now tried: Connected the SSD, booted into UBUNTU from pendrive, ensured the SSD is bootable, copied Windows 10 boot files to the SSD. Then close and boot from the SSD. Result is same as before - displays the blue windows logo but doesn't start the
    install.

KevinWebb666, Apr 24, 2016
  3. Teddy2016 Win User
    How to add SSD as boot disk on new Dell XPS 8700 with Windows 10?

"I copied Windows 10 to the SSD. I then installed it internally in one of the empty drive bays. Windows 10 file manager recognized the drive and I was able to see that "Windows was indeed copied on it."
    "

Hello JimPta

The win 10 ISO copy to the SSD or installed??

"I connected the new SSD to the new Dell 8700 via USB."

Is the drive detect as USB or sata/ide??

The newer Pcs have a one time boot priority option on bios boot. F9 or F12 during the bios start screen.

Teddy2016, Apr 24, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Copied SSD Will Not Boot

NavyLCDR, Apr 24, 2016
  5. flybynite Win User
    There is a big difference between copying all the files from one drive to another, and cloning the drive, or making an image of one drive to another. Chances are not everything was copied. What you need to do is get up and running with the old drive. then you need to make a rescue disk. You can get one here Code: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...hkey=!AJSRBNQM1i3ilPk&ithint=file,ISO[/quote] This is from this forum. Anyway you should be able to make a bootable USB stick. Boot into that, into a command prompt with your NONBOOTING DRIVE installed. Once you are at command prompt, find letter of drive windows is on. It might not be listed as C. If it is C drive, in the command prompt type bcdboot c:\Windows --That should do the trick. Good Luck

flybynite, Apr 24, 2016
  6. RolandJS Win User
    And, for future use, one can purchase an in-expensive BluRay player/cd-dvd reader/writer external device. Make restorable OS partition and data partition backups when possible, after the initial set up dust settles [I mean using an external hard-drive or two, and Macrium Reflect, Acronis True Image, or something similar, free or pay-for].

RolandJS, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Copied SSD Will Not Boot

1. Copied SSD Will Not Boot - Similar Threads - Copied SSD Boot

2. Shadow copy and SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shadow copy and SSD: Hello.I have an ASUS ROG with an internal ssd and a internal hdd that i use as storage.A few months ago i install O&O defrag.When try to use trim command appears a message to disable shadow copiescreation of restore points because decrease the life time of ssd!!!Is that...
  3. Shadow copy and SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shadow copy and SSD: Hello.I have an ASUS ROG with an internal ssd and a internal hdd that i use as storage.A few months ago i install O&O defrag.When try to use trim command appears a message to disable shadow copiescreation of restore points because decrease the life time of ssd!!!Is that...
  4. Ssd not booting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ssd not booting: I got SATA SSD to replace an hard drive on my PC, I tried loading window Os on it but I did not work on the PC, then I put the ssd on another PC which work very fine, so I put it back on the PC, still not working after much troubleshooting. I can't still get the...
  5. Ssd not booting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ssd not booting: I got SATA SSD to replace an hard drive on my PC, I tried loading window Os on it but I did not work on the PC, then I put the ssd on another PC which work very fine, so I put it back on the PC, still not working after much troubleshooting. I can't still get the...
  6. Ssd not booting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. A Copy of Windows 10 on an SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    A Copy of Windows 10 on an SSD: I recently migrated my Windows 10 to a SSD in my computer. the MoBo is too old to recognize the SSD as a boot disk.Is there a way to boot into Windows 10 then switch over to the SSD copy?Any help would be greatly appreciated....
  8. Ssd not booting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ssd not booting: I’ve been experiencing problems with my computer recognizing my ssd to boot from. I had two separate hardrives with Windows downloaded on both connected to my pc. When booted up it prompted me to select a drive. Last night I decided to delete one drive for extra storage. Now...
  9. Copying my HDD to a SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Copying my HDD to a SSD: I am not the best with computers but I am really struggling following all these tutorials online and tips. The issue is I had made my windows boot off of my hdd instead of the ssd and now I’m struggling to copy it over to the ssd. (Note: I made this pc 2 years ago and just...
  10. Copying HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Copying HDD to SSD: Is there an easy way to do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-hdd-to-ssd/740b1582-9387-463e-abeb-a4323fc65270