Windows 10: Cortana dormant.

Discus and support Cortana dormant. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, Cortana which has been working perfectly has decided to go to sleep. I've tried all the logical and easy solutions short of uninstalling and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by blackbut, Feb 10, 2017.

1. blackbut Win User

Cortana dormant.

Hi, Cortana which has been working perfectly has decided to go to sleep. I've tried all the logical and easy solutions short of uninstalling and reinstalling it but to no avail. Can anyone help?

:)

blackbut, Feb 10, 2017
  2. Entegy Win User

How to install latest critical updates without cortana in it.

Cortana is part of the operating system. If you can't use it, the service just sits dormant, and doesn't affect anything.

Entegy, Feb 10, 2017
  3. DaveLPG47 Win User
    Cortana live tile not working on any of my W10 devices

11/14 was a patch Tuesday that reset my 640. I'd call that a hard reset more or less. Gears spinning etc. Cortana tile animated after the reset for a few days then became dormant again.

DaveLPG47, Feb 10, 2017
  4. Cortana dormant.

Hi Blackbut

Could you give us all a little more detail by what you mean "went dormant".

Are you using voice commands and Cortana is not responding? Are you trying to open and it won't? Can you type in search bar and Cortana won't search?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 10, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Agreed, info above helpful. And then any history- e.g.
    Cortana was working yesterday - I could search for apps and it responded to voice commands, then there was a big lightning storm and the circuit breakers tripped while my PC was on. When I switched it on, Cortana did nothing and wouldn't respond to searched using the search box in the task bar.

Meanwhile:
    Do you have any system restore points you can use?
    Do you have any system or disk images you maintain (as we strongly recommend) to restore your PC to a previously working state?

Failing that, see
    Apps - Reinstall and Re-register in Windows 8 and 10
    - search for Cortana, follow the instructions at the top of that section.
    - post the result.

Good luck!

dalchina, Feb 10, 2017
  6. blackbut Win User
    Regarding my word "dormant " I mean that the Cortana icon (the small circle) sits at the bottom of the task bar next to the windows icon but does nothing when I click on it or play with any of the right click options. I must admit it failed once before not long after I installed Win10 and I got it going again after fiddling with it. (cannot remember what I did). Is uninstalling Cortana and reinstalling it a possible option?

blackbut, Feb 12, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Try: Failing that, see
    Apps - Reinstall and Re-register in Windows 8 and 10
    - search for Cortana, follow the instructions at the top of that section.
    - post the result.

Universal apps do not follow the same paradigm as traditional programs- and cannot be uninstalled using 3rd party installers or the control panel. The do not use exe or dll files.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Cortana dormant.

1. Cortana dormant. - Similar Threads - Cortana dormant

2. How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?: Since I updated my computer, my Windows key doesn't work and any application related to the start menu don't work either. I've already reset, restarted multiple times, tried wsreset and cmd commands, and checked for game mode, and tried the Fn commands. This happened the last...
  3. How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?: Since I updated my computer, my Windows key doesn't work and any application related to the start menu don't work either. I've already reset, restarted multiple times, tried wsreset and cmd commands, and checked for game mode, and tried the Fn commands. This happened the last...
  4. How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. End of support for Cortana

in Windows 10 Gaming
    End of support for Cortana: While the decision to phase out Cortana may have disappointed some users, it's important to recognize that Microsoft is continually evolving its products to meet the changing needs of its customers. Here are some reasons why bringing back Cortana might still be...
  6. End of support for Cortana

End of support for Cortana: While the decision to phase out Cortana may have disappointed some users, it's important to recognize that Microsoft is continually evolving its products to meet the changing needs of its customers. Here are some reasons why bringing back Cortana might still be...
  7. Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands: Hello, I'm having trouble with Cortana on my Windows 10 computer. When I try to use voice commands, Cortana doesn't respond at all. I've checked my microphone settings and made sure that Cortana is enabled, but it still doesn't work. Is there a fix for this issue, or any...
  8. Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands

Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands: Hello, I'm having trouble with Cortana on my Windows 10 computer. When I try to use voice commands, Cortana doesn't respond at all. I've checked my microphone settings and made sure that Cortana is enabled, but it still doesn't work. Is there a fix for this issue, or any...
  9. How do i make the cortana search bar, and the windows search bar at the bottom left of the...

How do i make the cortana search bar, and the windows search bar at the bottom left of the...: hello, I am trying to have Google Chrome as my default browser for everything, I currently see that Edge Deflector and Nomoreedge no longer works, is there a settings way to ensure that my search bar will go to Google Chrome instead of Microsoft Edge? how can I ensure that I...
  10. How do i make the cortana search bar, and the windows search bar at the bottom left of the...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i make the cortana search bar, and the windows search bar at the bottom left of the...: hello, I am trying to have Google Chrome as my default browser for everything, I currently see that Edge Deflector and Nomoreedge no longer works, is there a settings way to ensure that my search bar will go to Google Chrome instead of Microsoft Edge? how can I ensure that I...