Windows 10: Cortana on invoke responds to some queries (what time is it) but silently fails on others...

Discus and support Cortana on invoke responds to some queries (what time is it) but silently fails on others... in Cortana to solve the problem; I'm using cortana on an invoke. If I ask "cortana, what time is it?" I get the right answer. If I say "Cortana, play the latest news" or "Cortana,... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Costigan60, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Cortana on invoke responds to some queries (what time is it) but silently fails on others...

I'm using cortana on an invoke. If I ask "cortana, what time is it?" I get the right answer.

If I say "Cortana, play the latest news" or "Cortana, play piano music", I get silence. In both cases, these skills used to work fine. The first would usually play a top-of-the-hour news summary from NPR, and the latter would ask I Heart Radio to create and play a station.

Both of these skills work when using cortana on my iphone under the same microsoft account.

Without any error message, I have no idea whether this is a temporary problem or a configuration problem that is permanent until I take some action. And, without any sort of error indication, I have no idea what that action might be.

Is there any way to get some sort of status information about cortana? In the cortana app on my phone, I can see the 'About' information describing the configuration and address of the invoke, but I don't see any current status.

Finally, none of the Category options under this question seem relevant. There's no general 'Cortana' category. Naturally, there's no Invoke category. There's no 'Other' category. The GUI here requires that I enter some sort of category. Sigh.

:)

Costigan60, Jun 14, 2019

2. cortana responding to both pc and my harman kardon invoke when giving a command hey cortana

Hi Wayne,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. When you say "Cortana responding to both PC and Invoke", are you referring to
      Harman Kardon Invoke which responds to Cortana?
    2. Are you aware of any changes made to this computer prior to the issue?

Wayne, you cannot use a single Cortana command to invoke both computers unless both the computers are near to you and can hear you. If you want to invoke a single computer using Cortana when both the computers are near you, then you need to train Cortana
    with a different voice for each computer.

Please refer How to post a question on Microsoft Community and also elaborate
    on the issue, so that we can understand the concern and get back to us to help you further.

We await your reply.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jun 14, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    Cannot Invoke Cortana

There is an option when installing Win 10 to use Cortana or not. I'm wondering if you (or the installer) chose not to?

- suggests you didn't enter the command correctly.

Please post a screenshot of what you attempted.

Windows key + S should launch Cortana if enabled and functional.
    This is the Notebook (in this context):

Cortana on invoke responds to some queries (what time is it) but silently fails on others... [​IMG]

Rt click the taskbar and you should see this:

*Arrow Hide or Show Search Box or Cortana Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Cortana on invoke responds to some queries (what time is it) but silently fails on others... [​IMG]

dalchina, Jun 14, 2019
  4. Cortana on invoke responds to some queries (what time is it) but silently fails on others...

cortana responding to both pc and my harman kardon invoke when giving a command hey cortana

When I say hey Cortana to the pc my harman kardon invoke responds to. Is there away to just use harman kardan invoke to give commands or how to keep both of them from responding at the same time. Is there a way to adjust the gain
    or boost on the harman kardan invoke microphone? //// THANKS WAYNE /////

wayne leslie, Jun 14, 2019
Thema:

Cortana on invoke responds to some queries (what time is it) but silently fails on others...

1. Cortana on invoke responds to some queries (what time is it) but silently fails on others... - Similar Threads - Cortana invoke responds

2. Harman kardon, cortana invoke don´t respond

in Cortana
    Harman kardon, cortana invoke don´t respond: I try a factory reset, change de wifi and disconnect, but don´t do anything, still with the orange light and "updating" light on the top. an have the application on the phone for the speaker I don't totally speak english...
  3. Cortana Invoke

in Cortana
    Cortana Invoke: Cortana stopped working correctly on the invoke as of 7/27. When I ask for the forcast, I get the definition of forcast. If I'm more specific Iike what is the current temperature I get the I can't help with that. This happens on all 3cof my Invokes...
  4. Cortana will not respond to queries

in Cortana
    Cortana will not respond to queries: Cortana pops up when I say "Hey Cortana" but when I speak to it more, it prompty shuts down, refusing to complete any queries. Things I have tried: 1. Turning Cortana speech on and off again 2. Configuring speech multiple times 3. Making sure that display and speech...
  5. Why are some updates silent and others not?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why are some updates silent and others not?: First of all I have automatic update in Group Policy set to notify for download (option 2). I have noticed that some updates like definition updates for defender antivirus gets updated without any notification. I know this because when I open up Reliability Monitor I can see...
  6. Why are some updates silent and others not?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why are some updates silent and others not?: First of all I have automatic update in Group Policy set to notify for download (option 2). I have noticed that some updates like definition updates for defender antivirus gets updated without any notification. I know this because when I open up Reliability Monitor I can see...
  7. cortana responding to both pc and invoke when giving a command

in Cortana
    cortana responding to both pc and invoke when giving a command: When I say hey Cortana to the pc my invoke responds to. Is there away to just use invoke to give commands or how to keep both from responding at the same time. Is ther a way to adjust the gain or boost on the invoke microphone? //// THANKS WAYNE /////...
  8. Cortana Invoke

in Cortana
    Cortana Invoke: Alarm does not go off at requested time. I set alarm for 5:50 Am . Alarm goes off at 8:50 am. Invoke will verify Alarm is sr.et at 550, if request time, time will be correct. I have factory reset with same results...
  9. Cortana Podcast Invoke

in Cortana
    Cortana Podcast Invoke: Cortana is playing podcasts just fine via TuneIn radio on my Invoke. However, I can't figure out a way to play a previous podcast. For example if it plays podcast XYZ Latest Episode. I can't figure out a command to tell it to play a "previous" podcast. Anyone know a voice...
  10. Cannot Invoke Cortana

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Invoke Cortana: System: ASUS M32CD 64-bit, Intel Core i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz,, 4 Cores, 8 GB DRAM, 4 TB Harddrive OS: Windows 10 Home, V 10.0.16299 Build 16299 (factory installed, updates up to date) Despite a mention of Cortana here and there, I can't make it run. My screen never quite...