Windows 10: Cortana: The spy in Windows 10

Discus and support Cortana: The spy in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Cortana: The spy in Windows 10 [img] Credit: Pixabay Cortana, Windows 10’s built-in virtual assistant, is both really cool and really creepy By... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Night Hawk, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Cortana: The spy in Windows 10

more

:)

Night Hawk, Aug 22, 2016

2. Error: cortana is disabled by company policy

Original Title: Fix Cortana and Enable it

Hi

i After launching the Destroy Windows 10 Spying application and clicking on the " Destroy windows 10 spying " Cortana is not working.

The following message displays

cortana is disabled by company policy.

i enable it from gpedit.msc but still disable and not working.

how i can fix it?i need cortana.

S.MahdiHosseini, Aug 22, 2016
  3. grakky99 Win User
    What is "ActionUri OOP Server"?

OK but what if Cortana is already shut off at the Search Windows area on the Task Bar and in Microsoft Edge? Is there some sort of sneaky hidden process happening? I searched through everything possible to not have myself broadcast into the universe, disabled
    a ton of settings.

I also noticed that Cortana is actually running and no matter what I do to kill the task it reappears. Is this linked to Windows Search? Can Microsoft not call it something else so that it doesn't look like Cortana the Master Spy is uhm, spying on me?????????????

grakky99, Aug 22, 2016
  4. dencal Win User

Cortana: The spy in Windows 10

Tin Helmet brigade rears its ugly head again.....yawn!!!!

dencal, Aug 22, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
  6. z3r010 Win User
    Computerworld - where useless tech journalists go to die *Zip

z3r010, Aug 22, 2016
  7. dencal Win User
    Could not agree more...just page filling rubbish

dencal, Aug 22, 2016
  8. ARC1020 Win User

Although I'm not particularly keen on the tone of the article, the request for a simple Cortana on/off switch like they had before and the advice to not install Windows with 'Express Settings' seems reasonable.

Cortana has respected my settings and remained off for me after the AU update though, therefore I don't have the Cortana Notepad icon in the Start Menu Search. So I guess I'll have to cross this bridge when I format my machine next.

Cortana: The spy in Windows 10 [​IMG]

ARC1020, Aug 22, 2016
  9. RobNJ Win User
    Make sure you're properly attired

RobNJ, Aug 22, 2016
  10. ARC1020 Win User
    By all means counter the points made by the author in the article. However to try to belittle and mock people who care about their privacy and take an interest in exactly what data is being collected and what happens to data collected is of no use to anyone.

ARC1020, Aug 23, 2016
  11. Barman58 Win User
    The link is to Computerworld the Information is junk by definition

Barman58, Aug 23, 2016
  12. A friend and his wife who both saw their laptops upgraded from 8.1 love the voice command option while I simply put Cortana on the disabled list from the start. I still haven't gotten around to removing the icon off of the taskbar however since the RS1 update went on.

I wouldn't say everything from Computerworld is "junk science" but this 3rd party Tech Connect source raises some eye brows however. A number of junk blogs seem to be page fillers there. Other blogs they have link to Infoworld and PC World articles no longer seen going by how those were dated.

Night Hawk, Aug 23, 2016
  13. Culbrelai Win User

It can be turned off but not easily/obviously. I did not have a particular issue with Cortanta pre SP1 but removing the obvious off switch is not conducive to privacy/transparency. A lot of people are probably unintentionally giving away their information, which I have a fundamental issue with.

It's a recurring theme on this forum.

Culbrelai, Aug 23, 2016
  14. Whenever you fill out some form or sign up for something new on the web you are in a sense handing over at least some of your privacy as far as email addresses if not adding in personal information, location, etc. Some time later you then find new junk emails suddenly start coming in indicating your info was sold/passed along to marketing.

The difference with Cortana however is that the information is gathered by a known source namely MS not 100 unknowns. The things you search for, browsing history to an extent along with a small amount of other data mostly system logs, etc.

With a fast right click on the main taskbar the Cortana option there is to show or hide the icon which once hidden is never hit by accident. When going into the Universal App and intentionally clicking on the Cortana item there nothing happens showing that having previously disabling Cortana is still in effect. On any clean install of W10 at this time however you might need to refer to the guide for this on how to turn on or off if not disable entirely. Cortana - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

The first option refers to bringing up the Local Group Policy editor to go in and locate the Allow Cortana item there while the second is a fast reg mod to see the change of setting made in the registry itself. For a double layer of security or to simply insure nothing or no one can come along and trip it back to enabled again use both options!

Night Hawk, Aug 23, 2016
  15. sml156 Win User
    The tinfoil hat was created by the NSA and directly aimed at Americans who thought they had common sense, When a very small percentage of the population that actually did have common sense pointed out that certain frequencies are in fact greatly amplified.

These amplified frequencies coincide with radio bands reserved for government use according to the Federal Communication Commission (FCC).

Fast forward to today when the NSA finds a man woman or child that actually posses common sense they are quickly removed from the general population.

sml156, Aug 23, 2016
Thema:

1. Cortana: The spy in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Cortana spy

2. How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?: Since I updated my computer, my Windows key doesn't work and any application related to the start menu don't work either. I've already reset, restarted multiple times, tried wsreset and cmd commands, and checked for game mode, and tried the Fn commands. This happened the last...
  3. How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?: Since I updated my computer, my Windows key doesn't work and any application related to the start menu don't work either. I've already reset, restarted multiple times, tried wsreset and cmd commands, and checked for game mode, and tried the Fn commands. This happened the last...
  4. How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. End of support for Cortana

in Windows 10 Gaming
    End of support for Cortana: While the decision to phase out Cortana may have disappointed some users, it's important to recognize that Microsoft is continually evolving its products to meet the changing needs of its customers. Here are some reasons why bringing back Cortana might still be...
  6. End of support for Cortana

End of support for Cortana: While the decision to phase out Cortana may have disappointed some users, it's important to recognize that Microsoft is continually evolving its products to meet the changing needs of its customers. Here are some reasons why bringing back Cortana might still be...
  7. Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands: Hello, I'm having trouble with Cortana on my Windows 10 computer. When I try to use voice commands, Cortana doesn't respond at all. I've checked my microphone settings and made sure that Cortana is enabled, but it still doesn't work. Is there a fix for this issue, or any...
  8. Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands

Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands: Hello, I'm having trouble with Cortana on my Windows 10 computer. When I try to use voice commands, Cortana doesn't respond at all. I've checked my microphone settings and made sure that Cortana is enabled, but it still doesn't work. Is there a fix for this issue, or any...
  9. Cortana is spying on me in direct violation of the Cortana permission settings.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cortana is spying on me in direct violation of the Cortana permission settings.: I have all Cortana permissions set to "off" including the "contacts, emails, calendar & communication history" setting. Yet Cortana is reading my emails and proposing to take actions based on their content. If I wanted to have my personal communications read by a...
  10. Is there a way to stop Microsoft spying without turning off Cortana?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there a way to stop Microsoft spying without turning off Cortana?: So the question is in the title. Right from the start of Windows 10 Cortana was one of my favourite features but then the Web started to fill up with articles saying that Cortana is a Microsoft tool that sends all your data to them and the only way to stop them is by turning...