Windows 10: Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Michael, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Michael Win User

Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10

Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft services. Depending on the capabilities of your device and the version of Cortana youre using, Cortana can provide a range of features, some of which are personalized. Cortana on Windows is available in certain regions and languages. If Cortana isnt available for your Windows device, you can still search for files on your device in the search box on the taskbar. Cortana is also available on other platforms, such as Android and iOS, in select markets.

Cortana works best when you sign in and let her use data from your device, other Microsoft services, and third-party services you choose to connect. To provide you with personalized experiences, Cortana learns from certain data about you, such as your searches, calendar, contacts, and location. Youre in control of how much data you share. If you choose not to sign into Cortana on Windows, you can still chat with Cortana and use her to help you search the web, documents stored in Microsoft services like OneDrive, and your Windows device. See the section about Windows Search in the Privacy Statement for more information. If you dont sign in, or you choose to sign out, your experiences will be more limited and they wont be personalized with your Cortana data. On iOS and Android devices, Cortana only works when you sign in.

For more information about Cortana, see:
    This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable Cortana for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to enable or disable Cortana.

*note This will only enable or disable Cortana the personal assistant, and not the Cortana process (SearchUI.exe) used by Windows Search.

*note If you disable Cortana, you will see a search icon or search icon on the search box instead of a Cortana icon on the taskbar. See: How to Hide or Show Search Box or Cortana Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable Cortana using Group Policy
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable Cortana using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable Cortana using Group Policy

*note Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Search

Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. In the right pane of Search in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Allow Cortana policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Cortana
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Cortana
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, close the Local Group Policy Editor.

8. Either restart the computer to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable or Disable Cortana using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and change the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search

AllowCortana DWORD

0 = Disable
    1 or delete = Enable

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Cortana
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Cortana.reg

Download

3. To Disable Cortana
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Cortana.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Either restart the computer to apply.

8. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Michael, Jan 21, 2016
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Jan 21, 2016
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Michael, *Smile

This tutorial uses a group policy to disable Cortana. If you don't have the Search key, then it just means that you do not have the policy added and enabled. The options to disable Cortana in the tutorial adds the policy to the registry for you.

Disabling Cortana will disable the ability of all users to be able to turn on or off Cortana in their account.

Brink, Jan 21, 2016
  4. Michael Win User
    Ah, I see. I went for this option because it could be achieved through the registry. I don't suppose you know of a way to only turn it off via the registry (rather than disable it entirely)? I suppose I should be asking this in the other thread...

Michael, Jan 21, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 21, 2016
  6. I get a notice that Cortana is disabled by company policy. I am running win10 64 home. I opend regedit and when to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search. My reg does not have AllowCortana DWORD.
    Since this is home edition there is no Group policy either. Is there another way?

tropicallime, Jul 28, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello tropicallime, *Smile

Check to see if you may have the DWORD in the registry key below instead.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search

Brink, Jul 28, 2016
  8. Brink,
    Thanks for help. I have two PC one with Pro the other is home edition. The Pro PC works fine. I could not find the DWORD at this location on either PC.
    -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search

tropicallime, Jul 28, 2016
  9. aardvark Win User
    Hi Brink,

I am running Win 10x64 Pro. I used your reg file to disable Cortana but I still see it resident as a process with reserved memory;

I also see it listed here and it showed a minimum amount of usage after I executed your reg file, deleted usage history, and rebooted:

Are those expected results after disabling Cortana via your reg file?

Thanks,

aardvark, Jul 29, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello aardvark, *Smile

Yep, that's normal. That Cortana process is actually for Search instead of Cortana the assistant.

Brink, Jul 29, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Are you joined to a domain by chance?

If so, it will be a policy that only the domain administrator can change.

If not, then you may have some other policy that was manually set in the registry to disable it. Do you have any 3rd party tweaking programs installed that may have a setting that disabled this?

Brink, Jul 29, 2016
  12. aardvark Win User

Oh wow, thanks for that info!

Regards,

aardvark, Jul 29, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Jul 29, 2016
  14. sr3tlaw Win User
    So I joined this forum just yo ask you this one questions and hopefully you'll see this.

I'm having problems using Local GPO on a domain-connected PC. Several of the policys I enable dont appear to be working. It is to my understanding that when something is is disabled via GPO (local or domain), it will be greyed out. Can you provide any insight?

sr3tlaw, Sep 26, 2016
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Cortana

2. How to enable Cortana on Windows 10?

in Cortana
    How to enable Cortana on Windows 10?: How do i enable Cortana on Windows 10 Pro 1909? Note that i am in Romania. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-cortana-on-windows-10/8b7f5ea3-c484-4076-8791-3ed7013d81cd
  3. enable Cortana

in Cortana
    enable Cortana: I cannot get Cortana to change and open. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-cortana/ea55e2d4-433c-4259-95f6-07586c39d704"
  4. disable cortana

in Windows 10 Customization
    disable cortana: how can I disable cortana completely when I play a game it pops up in task manager and takes a little cpu and it hangs my game a little https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-cortana/d7fd4128-6c0d-438c-a556-34ca7b7c38ed
  5. How to Disable Cortana in Windows 10?

in Cortana
    How to Disable Cortana in Windows 10?: I am looking for a complete guide to Disable Cortana in Windows 10. I am disturbed with cortana and need it removed. If anyone can help me, please do. Thank You...
  6. Disable Cortana in Windows 10

in Cortana
    Disable Cortana in Windows 10: Experts, I am trying to disable Cortana in Windows 10 but wish to re-enable it in near future for Voice guided operations. How shall I temporarily de-activate Cortana in Windows 10 in right way. Shall I follow this guide to Disable Cortana in Windows 10 ?...
  7. Enabling Cortana

in Cortana
    Enabling Cortana: hi there, i disabled cortana when i installed my os and now i want to enable her. the cortana icon is still in the start menu and when i clink it it just takes me to the search bar i have looked around and followed some pre-existing guides with no luck i am running 10 pro...
  8. Disabled Cortana, now cannot re-enable her.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabled Cortana, now cannot re-enable her.: I disabled Cortana and Telemetry a couple weeks ago, but now I want to reverse my actions. Here's what I did initially: Code: In regedit - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Search I created a new DWORD and named it AllowCortana, and...
  9. Disable Cortana??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Cortana??: How do you disable this?? I used a registry hack but still no good. I want to be able to search without this This is after the new 1607 update. 58467
  10. Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Cortana on your Lock Screen in Windows 10 Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft services. Depending on the capabilities of...