Windows 10: Create Reset Recovery Image in Windows 10

Discus and support Create Reset Recovery Image in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; I'm 100% positive. If you like, create a reset image, and use the tutorial below to verify its location.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by jm44jg39, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Create Reset Recovery Image in Windows 10

Brink, Jan 2, 2016
  2. betamax Win User

I did that and it does get listed as the recovery image. But who knows if it actually uses it? I suppose I can test this by first booting into audit mode and installing some random program or changing the wallpaper, the generalizing the system and boot into a PE to capture the image in DISM and registering the newly created image with /setosimage. If your a right, then doing a Reset my PC with the "remove everything" option should restore the machine with the program or wallpaper still there.

betamax, Jan 2, 2016
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Unfortunately, the reset image is just the same as having your installation media always connected. A reset will still be like doing a clean install, and wipe everything in Windows. *Sad

Brink, Jan 2, 2016
  4. betamax Win User

What's the point of specifying a different image then?

betamax, Jan 2, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It's mostly for if something happened to your default Windows image (ex: corruption), and wanted to have a reset image instead of having to connect your installation media.

Brink, Jan 2, 2016
  6. betamax Win User
    So there's no way to create a customized image with all your favorite programs preinstalled to recover to?

betamax, Jan 2, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Not that I'm aware of, but you could just create a system image that would serve the same purpose.

Macrium Reflect Free would be a good 3rd party program to use for this.

Brink, Jan 2, 2016
  8. betamax Win User

just tried it with dism /apply-image from winpe. my preinstalled Chrome is there after going thru OOBE. so at least there's that.

betamax, Jan 2, 2016
  9. johnywhy Win User
    Hi

Does this process produce the same result as the built-in "Create a system image" in "Control Panel\Backup and Restore (Windows 7)"?

thx

johnywhy, Jan 19, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Johny, *Smile

Sorry, but no. A reset recovery image is basically nothing more than always having Windows 10 installation media connected instead.

Brink, Jan 20, 2016
  11. johnywhy Win User
    So, this process makes a vanilla windows 10 installation disk, right?

And the built-in "Create a system image" in "Control Panel\Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" creates an image of my own live installation, with my settings and applications, correct?

Thx.

johnywhy, Jan 20, 2016
  12. JKarch Win User
    Hello Brink, I've been wanting to do a fresh install of my Windows 10 OS for a bit now considering I upgraded from Windows 8.1 and from what I hear some problems might be caused from this. While searching the internet for help with this considering I'm kinda new to this semi-advanced process, I stumbled upon this forum you had created and used it for reference. But unfortunately I've run into some complications in doing so and hope that you would be willing to assist me. If you wouldn't mind helping a confused individual that would be great! *Smile

JKarch, May 23, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello JKarch, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

I'll be happy to see what I may be able to do to help. Please provide as many details as possible.

Brink, May 23, 2016
  14. JKarch Win User
    So this is quite the mess, this computer was bought a year ago as a pre-built that I would slowly upgrade over time, it originally had windows 8.1 then around the release of windows 10 I had upgraded it (not as a fresh install), at the time I had only had one hard drive but around December I had upgraded the rig once again to make the SSD the boot drive and the old HDD the mass storage drive. I had bought a Samsung SSD which had it's patented cloning software and I had cloned most of my data from the HDD to the SDD which was probably incorrectly done considering I had no prior experience and was resorting to internet guides. Today I decided I was going to pull the trigger on the reinstall, I backed up all my data onto my mass storage drive and when I went to reset and remove the files on the boot drive a pop-up said that windows couldn't find the recovery environment. I did some research online and found your thread because I don't have a USB flash drive or blank DVDs around currently, so I figured I'd avoid going out and run the recovery media from my mass storage drive. But since windows still can't find the recovery environment after your guide I'm at a loss. I can submit screenshots of anything you need, just ask.

JKarch, May 23, 2016
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Did you save the reset recovery image to the root directory of the drive, and not inside a folder?

In addition, double check using the tutorial below to see what it says is the current location of your reset recovery image.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

Brink, May 23, 2016
Thema:

1. Create Reset Recovery Image in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Reset Recovery

2. Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows: I have a Macintosh with Windows 10 running on Bootcamp that I was trying to upgrade, but unfortunately I accidentally corrupted the macOS Catalina partition while attempting to repartition the hard drive using Windows, which also corrupted the bootloader and rendered both...
  3. Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows: I have a Macintosh with Windows 10 running on Bootcamp that I was trying to upgrade, but unfortunately I accidentally corrupted the macOS Catalina partition while attempting to repartition the hard drive using Windows, which also corrupted the bootloader and rendered both...
  4. Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. HowTo Reset Windows With Custom Recovery Image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HowTo Reset Windows With Custom Recovery Image: I need help with resetting Windows 10 using a recovery image. I found a lot of instructions in the web but I think they seems to bee incomplete.I made a system image using the dism command:“dism /Capture-Image /CaptureDir:C:\ /ImageFile:D:\windows10\install.wim...
  6. HowTo Reset Windows With Custom Recovery Image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HowTo Reset Windows With Custom Recovery Image: I need help with resetting Windows 10 using a recovery image. I found a lot of instructions in the web but I think they seems to bee incomplete.I made a system image using the dism command:“dism /Capture-Image /CaptureDir:C:\ /ImageFile:D:\windows10\install.wim...
  7. HowTo Reset Windows With Custom Recovery Image

8. reset using surface recovery image

reset using surface recovery image: Hi everyone,About a week again, I updated my computer Microsoft Surface Pro 5 - Windows 10. After using it for about a day, the Bluetooth stopped working and disappeared. I discovered this when my attached keyboard stopped responding. I disconnected it, cleaned it and...
  9. Find Reset Recovery Image Location in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Find Reset Recovery Image Location in Windows 10: How to: Find Reset Recovery Image Location in Windows 10 How to Find Location of Recovery Image used to Reset Windows 10 [img] Information If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you can try to refresh, reset, or restore it. When you reset your PC,...
  10. Create Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10: How to: Create Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10 How to Create a Custom Recovery Image used to Refresh Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 10130 released on May 29th 2015. The "C:\Windows\System32\recimg.exe" file...