Windows 10: Find Reset Recovery Image Location in Windows 10

Discus and support Find Reset Recovery Image Location in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Find Reset Recovery Image Location in Windows 10 How to Find Location of Recovery Image used to Reset Windows 10 [img] Information If... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Vladimir, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Vladimir Win User

Find Reset Recovery Image Location in Windows 10

How to: Find Reset Recovery Image Location in Windows 10

How to Find Location of Recovery Image used to Reset Windows 10

Find Reset Recovery Image Location in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you can try to refresh, reset, or restore it.

When you reset your PC, it will remove everything and reinstall Windows 10 to start over completely with a clean install.

When you reset Windows 10 you may be prompted to insert or connect your Windows 10 recovery drive if there is an issue with the default Windows image or if there's not an OEM factory recovery image present.

If you create a reset[/b] of Windows 10. A reset recovery image is basically like having your installation media always connected and ready to use to reset your PC with.

This tutorial will show you how to find and see the location of the currently registered reset recovery image you created in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.

Here's How:

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    *Arrow reagentc /info
    3. If there is currently not a reset recovery image registered, then you will see this below to the right of Recovery image location.

Note It'll only show a location for Recovery image location if you created a custom reset image. Otherwise, Windows will use the default image in the C:\Recovery folder that's only listed for Windows RE location.

4. If there is a reset recovery image registered, then you will see this below to the right of Recovery image location showing you the full path of the folder containing the install.wim file registered as the recovery image.

Note It'll only show a location for Recovery image location if you created a custom reset image. Otherwise, Windows will use the default image in the C:\Recovery folder that's only listed for Windows RE location.

Tip To help make sense of the location path above, you can open Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc).

Looking at the displayed path above, the ResetRecoveryImage folder is saved to partition 1 on hard disk 1. In this example, partition 1 on hard disk 1 is the F: drive.

This gives you the full path as F:\ResetRecoveryImage.

5. When finished, you can close the command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Vladimir, Feb 21, 2015
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 21, 2015
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 21, 2015
  4. Find Reset Recovery Image Location in Windows 10

Hello there. I installed Windows 10 from ISO, it is a pure clean install, not an OEM installation.
    My "Recovery Image Location" is empty. But i am able to Reset PC, how does this happen? I wonder where is my Reset Media? Thanks @Brink

isimsizkullan, Jan 27, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello isimsizkullan, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

What does the reagentc /info command show for you?

Brink, Jan 27, 2016
  6. Thanks for quick reply.
    Here is the output.
    Code: Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration Information: Windows RE status: Enabled Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition1\Recovery\WindowsRE Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: efb877cf-c514-11e5-bedc-dc38f4d2685c Recovery image location: Recovery image index: 0 Custom image location: Custom image index: 0 REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.[/quote]

7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That indicates that you didn't add a reset recovery image of your own, but Windows will use its default image included during installation for a reset. *Smile

Brink, Jan 27, 2016
  8. Find Reset Recovery Image Location in Windows 10

I wonder what is the location that default image? *Smile

9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It's located in the protected hidden C:\Recovery folder.

Brink, Jan 27, 2016
  10. Can i see that file with live linux systems?
    Thank you, that means much to me.

11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I haven't tried it, but it would hurt to try and see if you are able to or not. *Smile

Brink, Jan 27, 2016
  12. I am gonna try and will post here. Thanks.

13. Find Reset Recovery Image Location in Windows 10

I found that but not in C:\ partition, it was in "System Reserved" partition.
    sda1 for System Reserved and sda2 for C:\, in my case

File location: /mnt/sda1/Recovery/WindowsRE/Winre.wim

But it is only 284 MB.

I am trying to find out if there is a difference between clean installation and Reset PC. And in that case clean installation looks more clear. How come just 284 MB is gonna install the whole system from nothing?

14. WarhawkCZ Win User
    Hi isimsizkullan,
    I've been trying to find the answer for the same question for couple weeks. With no success, however.
    I did reset PC on my laptop yesterday and it did not even asked for a recovery image. I know that I have no recovery partition on the drive (bought mSata SSD) nor registered recovery (same as this guy: Reset Windows 10 - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums )

Reset worked very well but there was a one difference between clean install from the USB Stick:
    - a driver for the USB controller was not installed properly when I did "reset PC", other drivers were installed automatically. When I used clean install from the USB stick I had no problem. It could be because of the internet connectivity during install (LAN).

I may try it again without the internet.

WarhawkCZ, Jan 31, 2016
  15. WarhawkCZ Win User
    WarhawkCZ, Jan 31, 2016
Thema:

Find Reset Recovery Image Location in Windows 10

1. Find Reset Recovery Image Location in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Find Reset Recovery

2. Is a missing Windows RE Location and Recovery Image Location important?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is a missing Windows RE Location and Recovery Image Location important?: Hello,Recently I did a thing to get the new update Windows released but I kept getting the 0x80070643 Error. So, I tried to fix it. Clearly I'm not the wisest or sharpest tool in the shed. It didn't go so well that somehow when I was following a guide my Windows RE Location...
  3. Can't find my Windows RE location or my Recovery Image Location, help me please.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find my Windows RE location or my Recovery Image Location, help me please.: Hello Microsoft,The problem I'm having persisted when I was looking for a solution to my computer shutting down randomly without notice. I decided to bring it upon myself to fix the problem. After a long time of no progress I thought it might have been the 0x80070643 error. I...
  4. Can't find my Windows RE location or my Recovery Image Location, help me please.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't find my Windows RE location or my Recovery Image Location, help me please.: Hello Microsoft,The problem I'm having persisted when I was looking for a solution to my computer shutting down randomly without notice. I decided to bring it upon myself to fix the problem. After a long time of no progress I thought it might have been the 0x80070643 error. I...
  5. Can't find my Windows RE location or my Recovery Image Location, help me please.

6. Couldn't find drives during password resetting through image recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Couldn't find drives during password resetting through image recovery: Couldn't find drives during password resetting through image recovery https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/couldnt-find-drives-during-password-resetting/3e678e1b-d2c4-4931-b294-90968b4e2c67
  7. Couldn't find drives during password resetting through image recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Couldn't find drives during password resetting through image recovery: Couldn't find drives during password resetting through image recovery https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/couldnt-find-drives-during-password-resetting/3e678e1b-d2c4-4931-b294-90968b4e2c67
  8. Couldn't find drives during password resetting through image recovery

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. windows 10 reset could not find the recovery environment

windows 10 reset could not find the recovery environment: Hi, I could not reset my windows 10 to factory settings. I had performed a "Reset This PC" many times. But it say that it "could not find the recovery environment, please insert your installation/recovery media." If anyone could let me know how to proceed to wipe my...
  10. Create Reset Recovery Image in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Reset Recovery Image in Windows 10: How to: Create Reset Recovery Image in Windows 10 How to Create a Recovery Image used to Reset Windows 10 [img] Information If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you can try to refresh, reset, or restore it. When you reset your PC, it will remove...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. no image registered reset windows

2. win 10 reset where is image stored