Windows 10: Create User folder image and restore it

Discus and support Create User folder image and restore it in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm looking for a way to use DISM to create a backup of the User folder and be able to reapply that image back to the drive when needed. I have an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jscart, Apr 3, 2019.

1. jscart Win User

Create User folder image and restore it

I'm looking for a way to use DISM to create a backup of the User folder and be able to reapply that image back to the drive when needed. I have an image created but I can't get it to apply.

I've used the instructions here to move the User folders to a non-SSD drive and would like to keep a separate backup of them for re-imaging.

To create the image I used:
    dism /Capture-Image /ImageFile:F:\Image\UserProfiles.wim /ConfigFile:E:\WimScript.ini /CaptureDir:C:\ /name:"User Profiles" /Compress:maximum

And I used this to try and apply it:
    dism /Apply-Image /ImageFile:F:\Image\UserProfiles.wim /ApplyDir:C:\

Upon trying that I get an error 87 the parameter is incorrect

Does the ApplyDir need to be completely blank? I've tried to apply it to a specific folder (like C:\temp) but it still fails.

:)

jscart, Apr 3, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Create User folder image and restore it [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Apr 3, 2019
  3. I accidentally changed a User folder into a a desktop. Is there a way to restore original user folder?

That error was shown because the your user name folder was renamed to Desktop. To fix that error, follow these steps:

1. Rename the new Desktop folder to your user name. Let assume user name is Andrew. For example, the renaming will be from C:\Users\Desktop to C:\Users\Andrew.
    2. Check if a folder exists as C:\Users\Andrew\Desktop. If that folder doesn't exist create a Desktop folder in C:\Users\Andrew directory.
    3. Then try to 'Restore Default' as usual. See this article for further reading.

Biswapriyo, Apr 3, 2019
  4. Create User folder image and restore it

Setting New Location Of User Folder to another User Folder

Hi Renee,

Having an easy access to the Desktop folder can give you a convenience on opening your files. Regarding your concern about the Desktop folder that was moved to the Downloads section, we recommend that you create a new local user or administrator account to
    resolve the issue.

To create a local user or administrator account, follow the steps listed on this
    link

In addition, to move your files from the Downloads folder back to the Desktop folder, we suggest that you manually copy and paste the files to avoid any data loss.

Feel free to post back if you need more help.

Eileen Gal, Apr 3, 2019
Thema:

Create User folder image and restore it

1. Create User folder image and restore it - Similar Threads - Create User folder

2. Creating Folders in Users/OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating Folders in Users/OS: Can I create a new folder in my User and/or OS folders I am doing this to create space in my onedrive. Or will this bug out my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-folders-in-usersos/c44b0f5d-5723-4d29-b924-1d8dd62ff091
  3. Creating Folders in Users/OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating Folders in Users/OS: Can I create a new folder in my User and/or OS folders I am doing this to create space in my onedrive. Or will this bug out my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-folders-in-usersos/c44b0f5d-5723-4d29-b924-1d8dd62ff091
  4. Delete automatic created folders in /user

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delete automatic created folders in /user: Every time I log into windows and open the file explorer in my user folder, there are folders like "my contacts", "my documents" etc... Even if i delete them, they reappear as soon as i restart windows. How can i enable this, so that they´re gone for ever ? submitted by...
  5. Restoring Users or Profile folders

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring Users or Profile folders: Currently on Windows 10 x64 Pro v2004 build 19041.572 Problem occurs also in v1909 In February in setup my new system with the system drive on an SSD and the Users folder on a HDD following Kari's wonderful tutorial. No problems there. All working splendidly. However after a...
  6. Restore user permissions for user folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Restore user permissions for user folder: Short story is i lost user permissions from the windows user (folder) I'm on and i need to restore them. I have windows 10 on a ssd nvme m.2 slot and another windows 10 installed on an hdd. I was on win 10 hdd and i accessed the user folder from win 10 ssd, it prompted me...
  7. Restore user permissions for user folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Restore user permissions for user folder: Short story is i lost user permissions from the windows user (folder) I'm on and i need to restore them. I have windows 10 on a ssd nvme m.2 slot and another windows 10 installed on an hdd. I was on win 10 hdd and i accessed the user folder from win 10 ssd, it prompted me...
  8. Create Shortcut to User Account Folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Create Shortcut to User Account Folder: A friend has his user account buried in the Windows folder so any investigation requiring a subfolder that is not listed in his Quick Access requires drilling down...to the Users user account. My user account is at the top of the file explorer listing in the left side...
  9. Create / restore disk image in windows7

in Windows 10 Customization
    Create / restore disk image in windows7: I have an issue when i was trying to restore a previous disk image mage by windows 10 os. As i have a dual booted partition on my 240gb ssd drive with the other one being Windows 7 os. I was expecting the other one being restored as well. Instead i got a blank partition where...
  10. Wndows Keeps Creating User Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Wndows Keeps Creating User Folder: When I first did a clean install of Windows 10 on my laptop, I moved my user 'Documents' folder to 'C:\DataFiles.' I have since created another partition and moved the 'Documents' folder to 'd:\DataFiles.' now even thpugh I delete 'c:\DataFiles' Windows contitues to re-create...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. after restoring w10 from a backup how do i assocate a user with his users folder