Windows 10: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED Sporadic Crashes

Discus and support CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED Sporadic Crashes in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hey guys, For the past week or so I've been getting intermittent CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED blue screens. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BSODmakesmesad, Sep 13, 2015.

1. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED Sporadic Crashes

Hey guys,

For the past week or so I've been getting intermittent CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED blue screens. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary and they seemed to just start popping up out of nowhere. I read a couple of the other threads here about it, and couldn't seem to nail anything down that helps.

A couple things of note. After they started happening I tried creating new installation media for windows to try to repair windows if that was the issue. Every time I tried running the Media Creation Tool from MS it would crash before doing anything.

I ended up getting it on another computer and ran through repairing windows, but that didn't fix the issue.

Also, the crashes seem to not write the memory dump file, even though it's set up to do a complete memory dump.

If I can't sort it out I'll do a complete reinstall of windows, but I'd prefer avoiding that if possible, though it's not the end of the world.

Anyway, let me know if there's any more information needed.

Thanks all.

:)

BSODmakesmesad, Sep 13, 2015
  2. PaulAubin Win User

Recurring BSOD crashes since the latest Win 10 anniversary update

Just had another crash with the stop code: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED.

PaulAubin, Sep 13, 2015
  3. I-Sheng Win User
    Sporadic MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD

Hi,

Been encountering sporadic, but frequent, BSOD with identifier MEMORY_MANAGEMENT for the past week or so.

Three of them resulted in completely Windows failing to load completely (could not even enter safe mode).

I have noticed that the BSOD is not specific to any application.

One of the minidumps (second_bsod_070617-5609-01) in the link below reported CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED instead of MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, with the same crash address. Including it just in case it reveals something the others do not.

The msinfo output, three most recent minidumps and the full memory dump (the most recent BSOD, with corresponding minidump named third_bsod_070717-9843-01) can be found here:

Public

Any pointer on what is causing these crashes is appreciated.

I-Sheng, Sep 13, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED Sporadic Crashes

Hi BSODmakesmesad,

Welcome to the 10forums.

The critical process died crash does have a few causes.
    A program is interfering,
    The CPU cannot process a service or program, because it is either damaged or needs to be cleaned.

Please do the following:

• Open taskmanager
      • Go to the tab startup
      • disable everything
    • Search msconfig and open it
      • Go to the tab services
      • Check 'hide microsoft services'
      • Uncheck all other services
      • Click apply and click ok
    • Reboot if asked
    See if the problem persist, if the problem does not persist enable in the startup tab in taskmanager 1 item and in the services tab in msconfig also 1 service, reboot and see if the problem persist. Keep doing this until you find the culprit or there is nothing left.

If the clean boot didn't help finding the cause, please clean your CPU with thermal paste. If cleaning the CPU didn't fix the problem either please follow the instructions below.

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED Sporadic Crashes [​IMG]
    Diagnostic Test
    CPU TEST

Run Prime95 - Stress Test Your CPU - Windows 10 Forums

Note If you're overclocking anything, please stop it and set everything back to default while troubleshooting

Warning Your CPU temperatures will rise quickly while under this stress test. Keep a keen eye on them and abort the test if overheating occurs.

5. Heya,

Sorry I forgot to mention that I did try doing a clean boot and all that jazz and it didn't seem to work. I'll try giving the puter a thorough cleaning tonight when I get home, run the CPU test and report back. Thanks much for the reply! *Smile

BSODmakesmesad, Sep 13, 2015
  6. axe0 New Member
    You're welcome *Smile
    Let me know how it goes

7. Sorry for taking so long. Took a couple days to get the time to do everything.

Anyway, no dice *Sad Got through probably around 6-8 tests successfully then crashed. I'll wait till this weekend and if I can't figure something out I'll back all my stuff up and try a totally fresh install.

BSODmakesmesad, Sep 17, 2015
  8. axe0 New Member

Please use the tool again and upload the zip file

9. axe0 New Member
    The dump is from 5 days ago.
    Please check {windows partition}\windows\minidump and check if there are any recent dump files saved.
    Please make sure your pc is configured for small dump files How to configure minidump | Windows 10 tutorial

10. The one in there is the most recent one. I had my crash dump set for a complete memory dump, but I can switch it to small to see if it actually makes one the next time it dies. Will update after next crash.

BSODmakesmesad, Sep 19, 2015
  11. So I reinstalled windows and cleared off all my stuff, and it's still crashing :/ I reran the thing to make the zip file, but I think it's still not writing memory dumps when it crashes, and idk why :/

Here's the updated zip.

BSODmakesmesad, Sep 20, 2015
  12. essenbe Win User
    BSODmakesmesad, while @axe0 is offline, I will try to assist you. first please complete your system specs including your motherboard, Hard Drives, power supply, CPU Cooler and anything else that may help us help you. These are the instructions I usually give.

Please go to your last post and in the bottom left corner click 'My System Specs'. there is a link there to update your system specs, click it and fill them all out in as much detail as possible. Please list Manufacturer and Model, and list Desktop or Laptop. If it is an OEM, please list the Manufacturer and Model number. Please be sure to list your PSU and CPU cooler. If you would like to know what we would like, please click 'My System Specs' at the bottom left of this post and see mine.

Also, please make sure your system is set for small Memory Dumps https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html. Then go to C:/Windows and make sure you have a folder named Minidump. If you do not, please create one. We need the dump files to get a better idea of what is happening.

If you are overclocking anything, please set everything back to defaults. Please use your preferred software to keep a close watch on both your CPU temps and GPU temps.

If you would, please download and install CPUz [URL="https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/how-to-upload-and-post-screenshots-and-files-at-ten-forums.8193/']https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...en-forums.html[/url] of the CPU, Mainboard, Memory and SPD tabs. On the SPD tabs you can select each Dimm Slot from a dropdown in the upper left of the screen. Just post screenshots of the Dimm Slots that are populated with Ram.

essenbe, Sep 20, 2015
  13. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED Sporadic Crashes

Ok. Updated as much as I could. It's a couple years old and survived a couple moves, so I don't remember all the pieces perfectly. Hopefully there's enough information.

I have my settings for the memory dump set like they should be according to that post and the folder exists, but there's still nothing in there after 2 crashes. I am going to turn off automatic restarts next time just on the off chance it might be restarting before writing the dumpfile, but that seems like it shouldn't happen, so I don't know if that will help.

As far as overclocking is concerned, nothing in the computer should be overclocked unless it was by the manufacturer. Should be totally vanilla as far as components are concerned.

Here's the pictures.

Thanks for your help so far *Smile

14. essenbe Win User
    Everything I see looks fine. I may suggest on your Ram in BIOS, you are set at the correct timings but the command rate (CR) is 1T, which may be within specs. But, I would change it to 2T. 2T is usually more stable than 1T.

If you have any Gigabyte Utilities installed, please uninstall all of them. You also are running the first BIOS that the board was released with (F3). If you will go to your motherboard's web site (GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD (rev. 1.0), under Downloads and CPU Support list, it says you should be running bios version F10. If you update the BIOS, be sure you follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully. A bad BIOS flash can damage your motherboard. Also, make sure that is your motherboard the link goes to.

essenbe, Sep 20, 2015
  15. I'll try both of those things, and if a memory dump actually dumps one of these times I'll be sure to post it.

Thema:

1. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED Sporadic Crashes - Similar Threads - CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED Sporadic Crashes

2. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED - ntoskrnl.exe Error and Crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED - ntoskrnl.exe Error and Crashes: Just wondering if anyone can help? Been having a few CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED blue screens and when i run WhoCrashed I get the error that is was caused by ntoskrnl.exeAny idea what could be causing this? ThanksTom...
  3. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED - ntoskrnl.exe Error and Crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED - ntoskrnl.exe Error and Crashes: Just wondering if anyone can help? Been having a few CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED blue screens and when i run WhoCrashed I get the error that is was caused by ntoskrnl.exeAny idea what could be causing this? ThanksTom...
  4. Sporadic driver-related crashes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sporadic driver-related crashes: I recently used the Driver Verifier tool to find my logs, here's the OneDrive link https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtE-rNGreGSZhha25snAAvNUZ_az?e=M00aha https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sporadic-driver-related-crashes/77145cca-e16a-4847-9abf-b2c9525785e5
  5. Explorer crashes then I get a Critical_Process_Died

Explorer crashes then I get a Critical_Process_Died: I recently started getting this error out of nowhere and nothing seems to be fixing it. Could someone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-crashes-then-i-get-a-criticalprocessdied/e67b834d-88ed-4beb-aea9-1f853b2f8de2
  6. Sporadic display crashing on new GPU

Sporadic display crashing on new GPU: Been having a bizarre problem which began a few days after I installed the Gigabyte Gaming OC Pro 3060 Ti that I managed to get ahold of earlier this month. One possibility of course is that the GPU itself has a defect which is causing all this, but I’m hoping that’s not the...
  7. windows keep crashing sporadically

windows keep crashing sporadically: windows keeps crashing randomly.... once a day, then not for a month or a few... tried checks file integrity, updating drivers, etc.... On Wed 8/19/2020 1:00:38 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081920-8843-01.dmp This...
  8. Computer Crash CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED related to ntdll.sys and ntoskrnl.exe

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer Crash CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED related to ntdll.sys and ntoskrnl.exe: Hi I'm wondering if anyone can advise on some system crashes I've been experiencing recently. Most though not all are CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED like the most recent one detailed here. I followed a similar thread, and have posted as much of the diagnostic info requested...
  9. onedrive causing critical_process_died crash

onedrive causing critical_process_died crash: Hi my computer crashes within minutes if I turn OneDrive sync on. Blue screen with the message CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. If I pause the sync it the computer works fine. Hope someone out there can help me solve this problem. Best regards, Bjarni...
  10. BSOD Critical_Process_Died frequent crashes upon regular use

BSOD Critical_Process_Died frequent crashes upon regular use: I have had no problems what so ever with this computer running Win 7 Pro for a very long time (2+ years) and when I moved to Win 10 Pro I get these BSOD Critical_Process_Died crashes while browsing the internet using Fire Fox. After the BSOD it will reboot and I can use again...