Windows 10: Customize Start List Folders in Windows 10

Discus and support Customize Start List Folders in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Customize Start List Folders in Windows 10 How to Customize Start List Folders in Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial will no longer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by watdahaps, Apr 16, 2017.

1. watdahaps Win User

Customize Start List Folders in Windows 10

How to: Customize Start List Folders in Windows 10

How to Customize Start List Folders in Windows 10

Customize Start List Folders in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Warning This tutorial will no longer work starting with the Windows 10 Creators Updates version 1703.

Information The Start menu in Windows 10 has a Start list that you can customize which folders appear in the list. Users can add or remove the File Explorer, Settings, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos, Homegroup, Network, and Personal folder to their Start list to open from their Start menu.

If you like, you are able to change the name and target path of the default folders on the Start list to customize how you like for all users on the PC.

This tutorial will show you how to rename and change the target path of Start list folders to what you want for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to customize the Start list folders.

Note This will not change the icons of the folders on the Start list.

You will not be able to change the target of the Homegroup and Network folder.

Renaming folders will only apply the new name on the Start list, and not in Settings.

CONTENTS:

EXAMPLE: Default and Custom Start list folders

OPTION ONE [/i] To Rename a Folder on Start List
    1. Open File Explorer.

2. Copy and paste the location below into the address bar of File Explorer, and press Enter.
    *Arrow %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu Places

3. Right click or press and hold on one of the default folders (ex: Documents) you want to rename, and click/tap on Rename. (see screenshot below)

4. Type in a name (ex: Documents library) you want, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Target Path of Folder on Start List
    1. Open File Explorer.

2. Copy and paste the location below into the address bar of File Explorer, and press Enter.
    *Arrow %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu Places

3. Right click or press and hold on one of the default folders (ex: Documents) you want to change the target of, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

4. In the Target field, type the full path location of any file, folder, or drive you want this shortcut to open, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

Tip The Documents, Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos folders open to the current user's personal %UserProfile% folder location.

If you wanted them to open to the library location instead, then you could use the target paths below.

Documents library: %appdata%\microsoft\windows\libraries\Documents.library-ms
    Music library: %appdata%\microsoft\windows\libraries\Music.library-ms
    Pictures library: %appdata%\microsoft\windows\libraries\Pictures.library-ms
    Videos library: %appdata%\microsoft\windows\libraries\Videos.library-ms

5. Click/tap on Continue to approve. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

watdahaps, Apr 16, 2017

2. How do I customise the Start Menu

Hello,

You can pin some default folders and customize the Start List:

How To Customize Start List In Windows 10

Hope this helps, Good luck Customize Start List Folders in Windows 10 :)

Kapil Arya MVP, Apr 16, 2017
  3. Aera Rua Win User
    View - C Drive Settings & Saving it

Hello,

By default, folders appear in Microsoft Windows as folder icons or as pictures that are contained in the folder. If you change these view settings or customize a folder, Windows remembers your settings when you open the folder again. You can use the folder's
    View menu to change the view settings for the folder. You can use the Customize tab in the folder's Properties dialog box to modify the folder icon, picture, and template. To customize the appearance of a folder, follow these steps:

• Start File Explorer, and then locate the folder that you want to customize.
    • Right-click the folder, and then click Properties.
    • On the Customize tab, select the customization options you want to use for the folder.

For more information, see the article on
    How to modify your folder view settings or to customized it

Don't hesitate to get back to us if you need further assistance.

Aera Rua, Apr 16, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello @watdahaps, and welcome to Ten Forums.

Nope. It doesn't appear to be working anymore in CU. *Sad

Brink, Apr 16, 2017
  5. FerchogtX Win User
    Hem... Taking advantage of this thread, seems CU broke the intended behaviour of the "Personal Folder" item... now it opens the real location of the user profile folder, instead of opening the special shell folder, that includes all the user folders no matter if you move them or not...

Any idea why or how to fix this behaviour?

FerchogtX, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Customize Start List Folders in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Customize Start List

2. Windows 10 Customizing Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Customizing Folders: I recently moved to Windows 10. I have about 130 folders in Pictures. I customized each folder with a pic from that folder using the following method: right click on folder/properties/customize/choose file/open/apply/ok. I have noticed today that about 20 of the folders are...
  3. Customize Start Menu App List

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customize Start Menu App List: Greetings, I've already tried asking this in Microsoft Answers. I have created an "Adobe" folder (below) in the Start Menu app list, to put Adobe apps in: %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Adobe I have moved Acrobat Reader and Photoshop Elements into the...
  4. Windows 10 folder CUSTOM icon

Windows 10 folder CUSTOM icon: Hi, I am new, so apologies if this is the wrong area to post in, I have set a 'Custom icon' via the folder properties file (Select folder, Right click, properties,etc) and I can see the image I want but it is surrounded by a folder still I was wondering if there is a fix or...
  5. Customize the left side of the Start menu - Pin to Start List?

Customize the left side of the Start menu - Pin to Start List?: hello. I wanted to add some programs to the top of the left side of the start menu (free space on the screenshoot). I have read about the "Pin to Start List" if you rightclick while holding shift. But this seems not to be working anymore!?!?! Is there another possibility...
  6. Custom Folder Icons in Windows 10

Custom Folder Icons in Windows 10: I hope everyone is fine. I want to assign custom icons to my folders related to Movies, TV Series etc. I know how to do it but how do i make these custom folder icons permanent so wherever i copy paste the folder the icon goes along with it. I researched about it and did...
  7. Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10 The Start menu in Windows 10 has a Start list that you can choose which folders appear on Start in the list. You can add or remove the File...
  8. Customize "Choose which folders appear on start" ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Customize "Choose which folders appear on start" ?: In settings > personalization > start > Choose which folders appear on start Can we add custom folders to this ? There are some folders which I use very frequently which aren't any of the standard folders (downloads, documents etc) 21120
  9. Add or Remove Folders on Start List in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Folders on Start List in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Folders on Start List in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Folders on Start List in Windows 10 The Start menu in Windows 10 has a Start list that you can customize which folders appear in the list. You can add or remove the File Explorer, Settings,...
  10. Documents folder missing in Start list

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents folder missing in Start list: IF anyone could help me out here I would really appreciate it. When I click one of the shortcuts in the start menu, I am informed that windows cannot find the specified location. [img] When I try to navigate to the location, windows wont let me select it. Anyone else...