Windows 10: Open Settings in Windows 10

Discus and support Open Settings in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Open Settings in Windows 10 How to Open Settings in Windows 10 Most of the settings you'll want to change in Windows 10 are in Settings.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by nissimezra, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Open Settings in Windows 10

How to: Open Settings in Windows 10

How to Open Settings in Windows 10

Most of the settings you'll want to change in Windows 10 are in Settings. Settings is organized into the separate System, Devices, Phone, Network & Internet, Personalization, Apps, Accounts, Time & language, Gaming, Ease of Access, Cortana, Privacy, and Update & security categories. You can click/tap on a category to view and change more settings for that category.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18350, Microsoft is introducing a new way to help users finish their Windows setup and quickly access some of the most frequently used settings. Inspired by the Microsoft account homepage, the Settings home page now has a header at the top allowing you to take quick action for things like signing in and managing your Microsoft account, making the Windows and Microsoft experience better. It also gives you an easy to glance at system status, such as when updates are available. Some of you may have already seen this in previous builds, but dont worry if not, were continuing to roll this out slowly and you will see it in an upcoming build.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to open the Settings app in Windows 10.

*note The step 3, step 4, or step 5 below, but will be able to open Settings using step 2 below.

Open Settings in Windows 10 [​IMG]

EXAMPLE: Settings in Windows 10

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 (keyboard), step 3 (Win+X), step 4 (Start), or step 5 (File Explorer), step 6 (Action Center), or step 7 (command) below for how you would like to open the Settings app.

2. Press the Windows + i keys, and go to step 8 below.

3. Open the step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Start button on the taskbar or press the Windows key to open the Start menu, click/tap on the step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

5. Open File Explorer, and click/tap on This PC in the navigation pane. Click/tap on the Computer tab, click/tap on Open Settings in the ribbon, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

6. Open the step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. In Run (Win+R) or the address bar of File Explorer, type ms-settings: and press Enter, and then go to step 8 below.

8. You can now view and change the Settings you like. (see screenshots below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

nissimezra, Aug 7, 2015
  2. Liezl Fal Win User

Cannot open settings in windows 10

Hi,

It seems that you have tried some of the basic steps already. Since it still doesn't work, we suggest trying the 4th and 5th steps given by
    Meliton Dec from this thread.

We also suggest checking out this link
    and choosing the steps for the scenario that best fits your situation.

We will wait for your reply.

Regards.

Liezl Fal, Aug 7, 2015
  3. Settings won't open in Windows 10

Is there a simple solution to this problem?

BarbAnderson1, Aug 7, 2015
  4. Open Settings in Windows 10

Hey Brink...

When I go into safe-mode, via the Advanced Startup Options I get the following message:

This app can't open.
    Get Started can't be opened using the Built-In Administrator account. Sign in with a different account and try again.

Pressing Close clears the box. I didn't have the built-in Administrator defined.

Thinking I needed to create the Built-In Administrator I did so and when I choose the B-I Admin account I get this message which seems to be a similar message: You'll need a new app to open this ms-get-started. Clicking anywhere on the screen clears the message. My normal account still gets the first message.

I've never seen these messages when running Windows normally. Any ideas on getting rid of these messages? I don't know if the instructions in this tutorial apply to safe-mode and quite frankly I have a hard time following them.

streetwolf, Nov 17, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello steetwolf, *Smile

I just tested, and I get the same thing in Safe Mode while signing in to my Microsoft account that's an administrator.

It doesn't appear to affect anything though once I close the message.

Brink, Nov 17, 2015
  6. Sounds like Get Started might be information on Windows after you first bring it up, or perhaps it's looking for the app that sets things up for your account. Just a guess.

streetwolf, Nov 17, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yeah, it's for the Get Started app. Windows apps can't open while in Safe Mode. *Sad

Brink, Nov 17, 2015
  8. Open Settings in Windows 10

streetwolf, Nov 17, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Nov 17, 2015
  10. Guess I'll live with it. Like you said the message is easy to get rid of and doesn't appear to harm anything. In any event it probably is a bug.

streetwolf, Nov 17, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    UPDATE:

Starting with pin a settings page to Start. A dropdown flyout with page suggestions has also been added that will appear as you type into the Settings search box. These changes are designed to make it easier to find the settings you are looking for.

Brink, Apr 21, 2016
  12. Shiflerg Win User
    I'm old fashioned and it takes me a while to used to new things even if they are better. When I opened control panel in Win 7, I immediately set it so that it always showed the details selections and not general groups. Is there a method of setting so that when I open setting (which is assume is like control panel) I will see the detailed list and not just groups?

Shiflerg, May 24, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Open Settings in Windows 10

Hello Shiflerg,

I'm afraid that's the only view for Settings since it's designed to also be easy to use for touch.

Brink, May 24, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Starting with Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14361, Microsoft made some improvements to the Settings app based on Insider Feedback. The navigation pane is now white in light mode or black in dark mode and we have added a small block of color (which is same as the accent color of your profile) to highlight what Settings page you are on. Clicking anywhere on the Home button at the top left takes you to the Settings homepage. And have made some other polish improvements, including slightly increasing the size of the page name text.

Brink, Jun 7, 2016
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, May 3, 2017
Thema:

Open Settings in Windows 10

1. Open Settings in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Open Settings

2. I downloaded tableau but can’t open to work with it.error saying I should check settings...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I downloaded tableau but can’t open to work with it.error saying I should check settings...: Settings issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-downloaded-tableau-but-cant-open-to-work-with/121c4b99-5e38-405d-9e9b-dac5d738882d
  3. I downloaded tableau but can’t open to work with it.error saying I should check settings...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I downloaded tableau but can’t open to work with it.error saying I should check settings...: Settings issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-downloaded-tableau-but-cant-open-to-work-with/121c4b99-5e38-405d-9e9b-dac5d738882d
  4. cant open my settings and unable use start menu properly cant even search on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant open my settings and unable use start menu properly cant even search on it: after a recent update I am unable to open my settings search from the start menu, my battery icon shows a grey cross, and many more [problems pls someone help...
  5. cant open my settings and unable use start menu properly cant even search on it

cant open my settings and unable use start menu properly cant even search on it: after a recent update I am unable to open my settings search from the start menu, my battery icon shows a grey cross, and many more [problems pls someone help...
  6. I can't open remote settings, system protection and advanced system setting by clicking on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't open remote settings, system protection and advanced system setting by clicking on...: I can't open remote settings, system protection, msconfig, and advanced system settings by clicking on Windows 11 laptop. I think it happened after installing some Microsoft gaming apps which is very concerning. sfc code is not working either, can't restore/create a restore...
  7. I can't open remote settings, system protection and advanced system setting by clicking on...

I can't open remote settings, system protection and advanced system setting by clicking on...: I can't open remote settings, system protection, msconfig, and advanced system settings by clicking on Windows 11 laptop. I think it happened after installing some Microsoft gaming apps which is very concerning. sfc code is not working either, can't restore/create a restore...
  8. I need some help with my taskbar, I am unable to open my settings. It has been happening...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need some help with my taskbar, I am unable to open my settings. It has been happening...: I've been unable to open my settings and no, the windows button does not work. I am unable to open my settings and hence unable to open my settings. please help...
  9. I need some help with my taskbar, I am unable to open my settings. It has been happening...

I need some help with my taskbar, I am unable to open my settings. It has been happening...: I've been unable to open my settings and no, the windows button does not work. I am unable to open my settings and hence unable to open my settings. please help...
  10. Display settings won't open

Display settings won't open: When I click on "Display" in settings, it will stay stuck on the blank white screen with the settings logo in the middle. The only thing that happened before this occurred was that I had changed the resolution on my laptop to 400x600, then I shut down my laptop. Upon turning...