Windows 10: Default drag and drop action with Onedrive

Discus and support Default drag and drop action with Onedrive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; We are using a common Onedrive for storing and sharing files within a team. It is basically neat when using Windows 10 file explorer, since you can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Petri M, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Petri M Win User

Default drag and drop action with Onedrive

We are using a common Onedrive for storing and sharing files within a team. It is basically neat when using Windows 10 file explorer, since you can just drag and drop files like between local drives and folders. However, the default behaviour of drag and drop with Onedrive is really annoying and causes accidental deletion of data from Onedrive. So, the purpose of having common Onedrive is to keep the files available for all users, as a common storage. But default action of drag and drop is MOVE not COPY. So, when people are just trying to copy data from Onedrive that is often being deleted from Onedrive if they do not always remember to press ctrl. When you are in a hurry this can easily happen.

So, I am trying to find a way to change that default behaviour but it seems there is no that could be applied as a common solution. I know that desktop.ini can have DefaultDropEffect=1, but unfortunately that applies only to TARGET not SOURCE. So, even if this is defined in every Onedrive folder, it sets default action only for data copied TO Onedrive but not FROM Onedrive.

Then there is a possibility to define DefaultDropEffect in Windows registry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\* and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects, but this means all users have to do it for themselves. And tweaking the registry manually is also not recommended...

So, is there any good common solution for changing the default drag and drop to Move instead of Copy?

I have already voted that as a change request in Onedrive development forum, but there are so few people who even knows that so those requests will never be handled.

By the way, Sharepoint is NOT a good solution for serving as a common storage and sharing if there are a LOT OF FILES! Sharepoint works well only when you have documents and such material, that does not include hundreds or thousands of source files etc. So, do not suggest using Sharepoint! Yes, I know even Sharepoint could be used if all data is zipped but then it would not be handy for changing individual files.

:)

Petri M, Apr 27, 2020

2. OneDrive drag and drop - can default action be changed from Move to Copy?

Hi, I'm using Microsoft OneDrive and finding it great. The only thing that annoys the heck out of me is that the default drag-and-drop action for dragging files to OneDrive is Move, not Copy. Is there any way that changes the default action to Copy?

KiwiNFLFan, Apr 27, 2020
  3. Edward W Win User
    Edward W, Apr 27, 2020
  4. arnoldh Win User

arnoldh, Apr 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Default drag and drop action with Onedrive - Similar Threads - Default drag drop

2. Drag and drop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drag and drop: Why i Can't use drag and drop in windows 11?? It is so annoying, i think i have to go back to windows 10.For development work it is really bad for user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/85e7b545-2642-4278-b569-418ba70cc539
  3. Drag and drop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drag and drop: Why i Can't use drag and drop in windows 11?? It is so annoying, i think i have to go back to windows 10.For development work it is really bad for user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/85e7b545-2642-4278-b569-418ba70cc539
  4. Drag and drop chnged default action

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drag and drop chnged default action: Hi there, I am not sure what has happened recently but normally when I drag and drop a file or folder, it will MOVE when on the same drive and COPY when dropping onto a different drive. For whatever reason all actions have now defaulted to COPY when dropping, regardless of...
  5. How to achieve this simple action via drag&drop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to achieve this simple action via drag&drop?: For ages, it annoys me that when you drag&drop an object over a folder you are forced to put your object into the "selected" folder (like here) instead of inside the folder you are currently "in" (like here). Is there a way to achieve this nonetheless? (Same issue when...
  6. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drag and Drop: I use drag and drop to transfer data onto my network computers, but since the latest update 1903 (18362.449) drag and drop won't work. I re-imaged back a couple of months and drag and drop works ok so the fault is with the latest update. Please advise. Deric...
  7. OneDrive drag and drop - can default action be changed from Move to Copy?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive drag and drop - can default action be changed from Move to Copy?: Hi, I'm using Microsoft OneDrive and finding it great. The only thing that annoys the heck out of me is that the default drag-and-drop action for dragging files to OneDrive is Move, not Copy. Is there any way that changes the default action to Copy?...
  8. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag and Drop: When did the ability to drag and drop from the taskbar to the desktop end? 122324
  9. drag and drop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    drag and drop: How do I fix the drag and drop function on windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/4f64f2ff-0a7d-45c6-9c26-fc131a8fd7b6
  10. Change Drag and Drop Default Action in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Drag and Drop Default Action in Windows: How to: Change Drag and Drop Default Action in Windows How to Change Default Drag and Drop Action in Windows [img] Information When you drag and drop files and folders in Windows, they will get moved or copied by default based on the source and destination locations....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. default drop effect local sharepoint