Windows 10: Default Picture viewer not taking

Discus and support Default Picture viewer not taking in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi I have set the Photos app as the default .JPG viewer but every time I click on a .jpg file I get the message "How do you want to open this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by daniellouwrens, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Default Picture viewer not taking

Hi

I have set the Photos app as the default .JPG viewer but
    every time I click on a .jpg file I get the message
    "How do you want to open this file?"
    "Keep using this app"
    see attached pic.

How do I stop this error, I have tried setting other viewers as default
    but the same thing happens.

Any advice appreciated

Regards

Daniel

:)

daniellouwrens, Dec 9, 2017

2. Why has Windows Photo Viewer suddenly disappeared from my pc?

When I first upgraded to windows 10, Windows Photo Viewer was the default program to open most pictures, I then set the default program for all pictures to be the "Photos" app and I kept this setting for a couple of days, Now I want to set Windows Photo
    Viewer as the default program again but I can't find the option anywhere.

For example searching for "photo", "photo viewer" or "windows photo viewer" in the search option in the taskbar brings no results whatsoever, Alternatively, using the context menu on a random picture and selecting "open with / Choose another app / more apps"
    brings a bunch of programs to choose from but windows photo gallery isn't among them. I've also tried "Control panel / programs / default programs / set default programs" and Windows photo viewer appears as an option in which I select "set this program as
    default" but even after that my computer keeps using the "Photos" app to open pictures etc.

I would appreciate any help in getting back Windows Photo Viewer as the default program for opening pictures,

Thanks a lot in advance.

JuanVera_909, Dec 9, 2017
  3. Paint 3d takeover of photos

If Paint3D is now your default picture viewer and it is the only picture editor/viewer on computer then something wrong with your computer... Photos is also an non-deinstallable app... It should be there...

The new update does not change your picture viewer to Paint3D. It makes no sense...

So 2 things might have happen...

1) You changed the default viewer yourself

2) You somehow removed the Photo app and now Windows is just using what is left there.

Alexei Stukov, Dec 9, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Default Picture viewer not taking

Hello Daniel, *Smile

Just to verify, are you checking the "Always use this app to open .jpg files" box before clicking on OK to set it as default?

If you are and still getting this message, then see if using Option 1 in the tutorial below to reset the default apps may stop this for you.

*Arrow Choose Default Apps in Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

Brink, Dec 9, 2017
  5. Hi

yes I did put a tick in the check box, almost every time.

I have now done the reset thing and nothing has changed, I click on the
    file and get the message box and I do or do not put a tick in the box and
    I just get the same box up again and the Photos app does not show the file,
    even if I right click and select Open with Photos nothing happens.
    If I select PSP it shows.

But I do not want to use PSP as it takes too long to open.

Thing is, Photos is the MS default.

Cheers

Daniel

daniellouwrens, Dec 9, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 10, 2017
  7. Hi

Thanks for your patience,

I merged the jpg reg file and restarted, as the PC restarted there was a notification that an app had changed the default
    for a file type and it was changed back.

Photos is still showing as the default but it is still not working with a double click or
    a double click or a Right click/Open

Cheers

Daniek

daniellouwrens, Dec 10, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Dec 10, 2017
  9. Hi

I have some new info that may point to the cause

I am using Start10 and when I check on the shortcut to the Photo app

I get this "D:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock\Start10\Launch.exe" /Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App

So I'm guessing there may be a conflict.

Perhaps I should talk to the Start 10 help desk?

Cheers

Daniel

10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It does appear that Start 10 may have corrupted it. It wouldn't hurt to hear what they say.

That, or something went wrong when you moved your Program Files folder to "D" from the default "C" drive.

Brink, Dec 10, 2017
  11. Hi

I'll contact them, BTW I did not "move" the programs folder, all my programs were installed on D,
    I Keep C for OS as it is a SSD and only 260 GB.

Cheers

Daniel

12. Hi

I completely purged Start10 from my PC, using their Purge file and then having Revo Uninstal clean up the leftovers.

But I still get the same result.

Cheers

Daniel

daniellouwrens, Dec 14, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Dec 14, 2017
  14. Hi

Thanks for the advice and the link, I will do the repair but with Christmas on it's way I will have to fit it in sometime,
    but not soon.

Thanks and regards

Daniel

daniellouwrens, Dec 14, 2017
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Please let us know how it went.

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Default Picture viewer not taking - Similar Threads - Default Picture viewer

2. Picture viewer defaults to wrong location.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Picture viewer defaults to wrong location.: I am using the picture viewer in Windows 11, but I get the error message shown below because the picture is not located in OneDrive but is in my local Pictures folder. How do I change the default?C:\Users\name\OneDrive\Pictures\Camera Roll\Picture.jpgNo such interface is...
  3. Picture viewer defaults to wrong location.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Picture viewer defaults to wrong location.: I am using the picture viewer in Windows 11, but I get the error message shown below because the picture is not located in OneDrive but is in my local Pictures folder. How do I change the default?C:\Users\name\OneDrive\Pictures\Camera Roll\Picture.jpgNo such interface is...
  4. picture viewer default

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    picture viewer default: how do I change the default to view my pictures? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/picture-viewer-default/4b8e5de1-77bd-4195-8669-5d5229acbcd4
  5. Why Can't I Set Adobe Lightroom as Default Picture Viewer?

Why Can't I Set Adobe Lightroom as Default Picture Viewer?: I have the whole Adobe Creative Cloud installed. Lightroom does not show up in the list of installed Apps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-set-adobe-lightroom-as-default-picture/165d2460-8359-4963-97ad-65a18705a0ab
  6. Picture viewer doesn't show all the pictures.

Picture viewer doesn't show all the pictures.: When I open a folder with , let's say, 100 photos in it, I click on the first photo and I tap the right arrow to go to the next photo. After a random number of photos, the photos will skip ahead a random amount. Example:I'll open photo 1, then I'll tap the arrow, I'll see...
  7. Picture viewer doesn't show all the pictures.

in Windows 10 Support
    Picture viewer doesn't show all the pictures.: When I open a folder with , let's say, 100 photos in it, I click on the first photo and I tap the right arrow to go to the next photo. After a random number of photos, the photos will skip ahead a random amount. Example:I'll open photo 1, then I'll tap the arrow, I'll see...
  8. Snip and Sketch took over as a default picture viewer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Snip and Sketch took over as a default picture viewer: When I click on any picture on my PC, Snip and Sketch opens up. I have different app set up as a picture viewer. The only way I can use the default app is by right-clicking on picture and select Open with... then choose the default app from drop down menu. Anybody else have...
  9. Classic Picture Viewer

Classic Picture Viewer: The new one is terrible, it's like a phone app or something. Is there a way to get the windows 7 style one back, or something close that that one? 13904
  10. default jpg viewer

default jpg viewer: How do I make Win10 use the standard jpg viewer that was used in Win7? I think it was actually a DLL. 105204