Windows 10: Defender antimalware client update

Discus and support Defender antimalware client update in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; In Windows 10 version 1709, os build 16299.192, checking for updates shows a new update for the Windows Defender antimalware platform, to version... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Bree, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Bree New Member

Defender antimalware client update

In Windows 10 version 1709, os build 16299.192, checking for updates shows a new update for the Windows Defender antimalware platform, to version 4.12.17007.18011

Defender antimalware client update [​IMG]

Installed without a problem, no restart required. Defender before updating...

After the update...

As with previous antimalware client updates, the update doesn't show in Update History. It can be seen in Reliability History.

Edit: 1st March - another update has been issued, version 4.12.17007.18022. Seems this is to be a regular monthly event.

https://support.microsoft.com/help/4...lware-platform

:)

2. Bhargav_ Win User

How to manually download the latest version of Windows Defender antivirus antimalware client version?

I am aware that windows defender antivirus antimalware client version automatically download itself to the latest version as a part of windows updates. But i have paused windows updates for 35 days. Is there a way to manually download the latest antimalware
    client version now?

Bhargav_, Jan 19, 2018
  3. Jsssssssss, Jan 19, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 19, 2018
  5. Edwin New Member
    ... sneaky, sneaky...

*Thumbs

Edwin, Jan 19, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    This antimalware platform update is available for earlier version of Windows 10 too. Here it is for 1607...

7. Got it here, will have to update the laptop machine in the morning, slowly getting used to Defender, very slowly lol, almost thought of switching back to Avast, but think will stick it out with Defender, in fact removes it from my phone so I won't be tempted to go back to Avast on the desktops/laptop lol

AMDMan2016, Jan 19, 2018
  8. BRU
    bru Win User

edit: I found it. Windows 10 has to be the most counter intuitive OS in history.

Where do you find that System Information in your screenshot? I can only find Defender info when using the old GUI (and it has been updated afaict). So hard to navigate the new system imo.

9. Try3 Win User
    Bru,

You can see the system information by opening Windows Defender Security Centre then clicking on the small Settings icon in its bottom-left corner & selecting About.

By the way, the info shown by the old UI link is still correct.

Denis

10. BRU
    bru Win User
    Thanks, I did figure it out. BTW still having issues with Defender (usually not) running a scheduled task scan since CU. Four computers configured exactly the same with the same scheduled task and none of them act the same. Was hoping maybe this update would fix it, but doesn't look like it.

11. Try3 Win User
    My scheduled scans were still working anyway but I did change the path to the new one given in the KB's info page [https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...lware-platform link given by Brink above]. I think that any old scheduled scans referring to the old path [C:\Program Files\Windows Defender] should still work because none of the updates have deleted that original set of Windows Defender files [they are merely redundant] and the command line switches remain the same.

Just for info, since the version number is in the path now it might get awkward in the future defining scheduled scans as the version number changes. I have swapped over to using a batch file for my scheduled scans.
    • %LatestVersionPath% will always be the latest version because the /od sort order used in the Dir expression makes the For command process all subfolders in ascending date order so the last one to be set as the variable value is the latest one
    • -Scan -1 are the switches for a quick scan
    • I have this running without incident on 3 Ver 1709 computers [x86 & x64]

Code: set GetLatestVersionPath="dir "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform" /ad /od /b" FOR /F "tokens=*" %%i IN (' %GetLatestVersionPath% ') Do Set LatestVersionPath=%%i "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\%LatestVersionPath%\MpCmdRun.exe" -Scan -1[/quote]
    Denis

12. BRU
    bru Win User
    I am using Task Scheduler where you are introducing code of some sort which is beyond my capabilities. When CU was first launched I saw others report the same issues with Defender and scheduled scans but not so much since. Really can't see why I would be the only one having issues. Like I said I have the exact same task on four different computers but they don't behave the same and certainly don't work properly as they did prior to CU. It is what it is.

13. Try3 Win User

Bru,

Sorry I confused things then.

I found another thread of yours [Schedule Scan in Windows Defender Antivirus.

• That being the case, you'll have the tasks' various properties [General, Triggers, Actions, Conditions, Settings] set up the same way on each computer. If all the computers are at Ver 1709 then I expect the Action tab to show
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\platform\4.12.17007.18011-0\MpCmdRun.exe Scan -ScheduleJob -ScanTrigger 55but the '55' can vary.
    • Might I suggest that you click on All tasks history [on the right-hand side of the Task scheduler window] so that Task scheduler collects records of scanning attempts

• Can you describe the differing behaviour of each computer's task
      • 1 in terms of the symptoms you see as a user, and
      • 2 as they appear in each task's History tab [note that you will have to double-click on each task as if you were going to edit it just in order to adjust the column widths of the History tab entries so you can see them properly - it's a real pain because you'll have to do the same again the next time you want to look at the History], and
      • 3 as they appear in the Windows Defender log at
    %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Temp\MpCmdRun.log {you can just paste the whole path & filename into File explorer to get straight there}.
    Denis

14. BRU
    bru Win User
    I've learned to live with it. It just seems odd that the exact same task doesn't work the same on different machines, when it used to. Just witnessed it again. One computer ran the scan as it should, the other did not. It started with the CU so maybe the next update will fix it, but I won't hold my breath.

15. Bree New Member
    Update: there is now a new antimalware client update taking the version number up to 4.12.17007.18022

first post now updated.

Thema:

1. Defender antimalware client update - Similar Threads - Defender antimalware client

2. What is the latest version of the Windows Defender Antimalware Client for Windows 8.1 please

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the latest version of the Windows Defender Antimalware Client for Windows 8.1 please: Hi EveryoneCan anyone confirm what is the latest version of the Windows Defender Antimalware Client for Windows 8.1 please? We are on Antimalware Client Version: 4.10.209.0 but there seem to be newer versions available perhaps for Windows 10. If anyone can clarify it would be...
  3. windows 10 antimalware client version

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows 10 antimalware client version: Hello So windows updated my antimalware client to version 4.18.2103.3 now i have a process called Microsoft Malware Protection Copy Accelerator Utility that is constantly running since MpCopyAccelerator.exe file location C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows...
  4. Windows Defender AV - Antimalware client version

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender AV - Antimalware client version: [ATTACH] Hi all I do Windows security patching for my Win 10 machines via SCCM. My computers are not allowed to go to the internet to download any updates. I don't have Endpoint protection site system role installed I use a third party antivirus software I have a...
  5. Update for Windows Defender antimalware platform

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update for Windows Defender antimalware platform: Your recent update is preventing our Win10 machine from working. It boots eventually and them hangs. Inspection via 'task manager' identifies Win defender as the issue. This is your recommended fix...
  6. Antimalware Client Version Update

Antimalware Client Version Update: Hi Team, Can you please let me know how to update Antimalware Client Version in Windows Defender AV? I tried the steps in below link, but still Antimalware Client Version is not getting updated. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/defenderupdates...
  7. Updating Antimalware Client Version

Updating Antimalware Client Version: Hi Team, We have come across a recent vulnerability in Microsoft Windows Defender. the Solution of the vulnerability is to update the Windows Defender Antimalware Client. Can you please let us know how to update the Windows Defender Antimalware client in Windows 10...
  8. Antimalware Platform for Windows Defender update

Antimalware Platform for Windows Defender update: The antimalware platform for Windows Defender has been updated today to v4.18.1910.4 You can get it here at Microsoft's Catalog: x86. x64 ARM64 I hope I am not mistaken and that is the correct order: Check file details for architecture. 143395
  9. New Defender Antimalware Client Version

New Defender Antimalware Client Version: Finally received the new Defender Antimalware Client Version 4.18.1908.7 which cures the sfc /scannow errors which have been widely reported in these forums in various threads. Ran sfc /scannow -- no integrity violations found. The new version is also on the Microsoft Update...
  10. Updated Defender Antimalware Client

Updated Defender Antimalware Client: Just got an update thru Windows Update. Appears the Antimalware Client for Defender has been updated, and the Base # for the defender definitions has been bumped up. [img] [img] 99752