Windows 10: defender won't start

Discus and support defender won't start in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; A friend asked me to check his antivirus, defender will not start no matter what I do, I have followed many suggestions as to how to get it to start,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Wood, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Wood Win User

defender won't start

A friend asked me to check his antivirus, defender will not start no matter what I do, I have followed many suggestions as to how to get it to start, none worked. He had newest version 1709, he did have webroot and took it out so defender should start, it will not, it says sorry we have a problem please try again, trying again does nothing.

:)

Wood, Dec 4, 2017

2. Windows Defender

My Windows Defender won't start, what can info? I tried to start it but it won't start.

CherylMeasack, Dec 4, 2017
  3. SemTeK Win User
    Windows Defender not running on Windows 10

I'm trying to run Windows Defender on my Windows 10 Home machine, but it won't start.

Whenever I try to start defender (by going to settings->update & security->Windows Defender) the settings screens closes. If I search for defender I also get a "desktop app" as a result, but it won't run either.

Is there a way to get Defender to work, or is there a way to reinstall Defender on Windows 10.

SemTeK, Dec 4, 2017
  4. torre Win User
    he did have webroot and took it out

Did he use an uninstall tool for Webroot or the Windows Control Panel uninstall ? A cursory glance while trying to find a link indicates Webroot may be difficult to uninstall which may be effecting Defender.

If the links provided above by TO do not work, may want to research and find an uninstall tool (if not previously used). If necessary, may want to download RevoUninstaller. Also, manually check the registry (regedit) and file explorer (folders) to delete any Webroot entries.

Final option would be to reset or reinstall Win10.

Reset Windows 10

torre, Dec 5, 2017
  5. Borg 386 Win User
    If you didn't use an uninstaller from Webroot there may be fragments left in your system that are preventing Defender from starting. You can d/l the removal tool & run it if you haven't done that yet.

Borg 386, Dec 6, 2017
  6. jyim89 Win User
    Hi, when did your friend's defender start acting up?

jyim89, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

defender won't start

1. defender won't start - Similar Threads - defender won't start

2. Windows Defender Firewall won't start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Firewall won't start: After clicking on Use recommended settings, I get this error: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-firewall-wont-start/5bc3595c-509b-4462-9ced-c23393b993b8
  3. Windows Defender Firewall won't start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender Firewall won't start: After clicking on Use recommended settings, I get this error: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-firewall-wont-start/5bc3595c-509b-4462-9ced-c23393b993b8
  4. Windows Defender Firewall won't start

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Windows Defender Firewall won't start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Firewall won't start: Hello, The firewall of my son's PC does not run. It did run when I upgraded Windows 10 to Windows 11 but it stopped working soon after that. The system keeps asking me to turn the firewall on but it cannot be done. Could you please help? Here are some of the symptoms. 1. Task...
  6. Windows Defender Firewall won't start

Windows Defender Firewall won't start: Hello, The firewall of my son's PC does not run. It did run when I upgraded Windows 10 to Windows 11 but it stopped working soon after that. The system keeps asking me to turn the firewall on but it cannot be done. Could you please help? Here are some of the symptoms. 1. Task...
  7. Shadow Defender won't start

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shadow Defender won't start: I run the program but nothing happens submitted by /u/mem_tv13gachi [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/vcqgdv/shadow_defender_wont_start/
  8. Windows 10 Defender Won't Start Error 0x0800706d9

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Defender Won't Start Error 0x0800706d9: Windows Defender will not start on my computer and has not for months. The main problem is that it's stuck on "Starting..." in Services so I can't really do much. As I understand, many other Windows 10 apps are reliant upon it, so much of the rest of my computer isn't working...
  9. Windows Defender service won't start Access Denied

Windows Defender service won't start Access Denied: I wanted to install XBOX app but whenever I install it I got the error > looks like something went wrong 0x80073D0A I looked this code and it seems it wants Windows Defender to be on, so I went to check Windows defender but I can't open it, whenever I click it the open with...
  10. The AMD Crash Defender Service won't start

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The AMD Crash Defender Service won't start: Hi all, After several BSOD's and lot's of troubleshooting:(Besides Mem-, HDD diagnostics and more... BIOS latest version, SFC /Scannow, AMD cleanup util., Reinstallation of Graphics card/Chipset/Audio/Network adapters and bleutooth...My system boots up very slow with the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. defender antivirus wont start