Windows 10: Delete File Link

Discus and support Delete File Link in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have just had the AU from windows, and when I try to open a file that is pinned to file explorer on the taskbar I get this error. I can click delete,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by john3650, Aug 21, 2016.

1. john3650 Win User

Delete File Link

I have just had the AU from windows, and when I try to open a file that is pinned to file explorer on the taskbar I get this error. I can click delete, but it doesn't, and I can click 'unpin from list', but it won't. I can create another link to this file in the list but cannot get rid of the original. If I click to open the file, then it does.
    Any advice would be apreciated
    Thank you.

Delete File Link [​IMG]

:)

john3650, Aug 21, 2016
  2. john3650 Win User

Delete file link

I have just had the AU from windows, and when I try to open a file that is pinned to file explorer on the taskbar I get this error. I can click delete, but it doesn't, and I can click 'unpin from list', but it won't. I can create another link to this file
    in the list but cannot get rid of the original. If I click to open the file, then it does.

Any advice would be apreciated

Thank you.

Delete File Link [​IMG]

john3650, Aug 21, 2016
  3. john3650 Win User
    Delete file link

right click does show file location, but I cannot delete, or unpin the shortcut.

john3650, Aug 21, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Delete File Link

dalchina, Aug 21, 2016
  5. john3650 Win User
    Thank you for reply, but that tutorial has nothing to do with my problem. I have file explorer pinned to taskbar. Right click that and I get a list of file links. Each when right clicked has the option to unpin, but it doesn't. I can add another shortcut to that list,. but cannot delete the original.

john3650, Aug 21, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    This tutorial will show you how to completely reset and clear all recent items and frequent places in File Explorer, Quick access, jump lists, Start menu, and taskbar for your account in Windows 10.

Are you not talking about sthg in your file explorer jump list?

If not, forgive me for not understanding. Thanks.

dalchina, Aug 21, 2016
  7. john3650 Win User
    All I want to do is remove a non working link from the quick access list. It will not unpin, and the options I have tried in the tutorial wont delete it. When clicked it shows the original error, if I drag the file to the list again, both links work, but if I unpin that one I am back to square one. This is only applicable to one link, the others are fine, and it has only happened since the AU.
    I would be happy to clear the whole list and start again, but the one link persists.

john3650, Aug 22, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Delete File Link

Delete File Link [​IMG]

Hi, try Clear File Explorer History. (Or are you perhaps saying you've tried that and the link remains?)
    A screenshot might help to explain.. I understand you to be referring to a Recent File rather than a folder.

I have scanned my registry for one recent file in Quick Access. These appear to be held here:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RecentDocs

Delete File Link [​IMG]

(Ignore the lack of icon in my case which is an unfortunate conflict between Qttabbar which adds tabs to explorer and the anniversary edition.. Qttabbar also corrects the display bug in explorer where text is left justified for medium and large icon views).

More on Quick Access here:
    How to Clean Up and Tame Quick Access in Windows 10

dalchina, Aug 22, 2016
  9. john3650 Win User
    Problem now solved. Thank you for all your help.

john3650, Aug 22, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Great! Thanks for letting us know.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Delete File Link

1. Delete File Link - Similar Threads - Delete File Link

2. Trying to Delete Files/Links - OneDrive Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to Delete Files/Links - OneDrive Issue: I have an old computer that I need to give away. It was used with OneDrive and the owner already has a new computer and using OneDrive. It seems like it is not possible to delete files & account info from a single device without obliterating your entire life-long collection...
  3. Trying to Delete Files/Links - OneDrive Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to Delete Files/Links - OneDrive Issue: I have an old computer that I need to give away. It was used with OneDrive and the owner already has a new computer and using OneDrive. It seems like it is not possible to delete files & account info from a single device without obliterating your entire life-long collection...
  4. Trying to Delete Files/Links - OneDrive Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Linked files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Linked files: All my programs and docs have been linked and all their icons have been changed. I can't open Google Chrome or any of my installed programs. Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/linked-files/9b3d8886-cd1b-40f7-9292-091263139987
  6. Linked files

Linked files: All my programs and docs have been linked and all their icons have been changed. I can't open Google Chrome or any of my installed programs. Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/linked-files/9b3d8886-cd1b-40f7-9292-091263139987
  7. Linked to deleted gmail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Linked to deleted gmail: My microsoft account is linked to a gmail account which google deleted due to inactivity. Now that I updated to windows 11, windows keeps asking me to verify with that email which was deleted. Even after changing it to an outlook email it says i have to 2-step verify with the...
  8. Linked to deleted gmail

Linked to deleted gmail: My microsoft account is linked to a gmail account which google deleted due to inactivity. Now that I updated to windows 11, windows keeps asking me to verify with that email which was deleted. Even after changing it to an outlook email it says i have to 2-step verify with the...
  9. Symbolic link deletion

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Symbolic link deletion: Hello,I am having an issue. When I have tried to remove symlink using commands del, mkdir, unlink etc, they not helped to unlink. Either access is denied or file is not ok. I can't create and create a new symlink....
  10. Deleting a link/icon

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleting a link/icon: Is there a way to remove this from the main settings screen? 125475