Windows 10: Deleting old network connections/profiles and changing the name back?

Discus and support Deleting old network connections/profiles and changing the name back? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I have for example "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #2" or "Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) #3 in my Network adapters list in device... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by klepp0906, Feb 22, 2020.

1. klepp0906 Win User

Deleting old network connections/profiles and changing the name back?

So I have for example "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #2" or "Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) #3 in my Network adapters list in device manager.

Also Microsoft Wi-FI direct Virtual Adapter #2.

This makes me crazy and i want to learn how to properly arrest it before it gets outta control. 5 years down the road it grows to xxx connection #6 or something.

Need to know what to delete to remove the non numbered version and how to get the numbered version re-named to the non numbered. As if it was a fresh windows install.

If i had a development background id be all over a script that automates this for sure!

:)

klepp0906, Feb 22, 2020

2. Network connection name

As detailed here and here, network profiles may be edited or deleted through the registry editor. The basic steps are:

1. Open regedit with admin permissions.
    2. Navigate to:

3. Each GUID subkey will have a ProfileName value. Find the GUID with your value of interest (e.g., SONOSWIFI) and change the ProfileName as desired or delete the key entirely.

Stanley Yu, Feb 22, 2020
  3. Baleful Win User
    Changing device names and deleting devices

Yeah, you can't delete old/retired machines from the "my grid" page. The only option you have really is to wait a few days then change how it sorts the list:

Deleting old network connections/profiles and changing the name back? ActiveMachines.png

Oh, and Mike is correct, by changing the windows "computer name" it'll change on the "my grid" page.

Baleful, Feb 22, 2020
  4. Deleting old network connections/profiles and changing the name back?

connecting a wireless wifi external network adapter in Windows 10

We suggest that you try to delete the old network connection profile, start the service, and create a new profile. To delete a wireless network profile in Windows 10, follow these steps:

• Click the Network icon located at the lower right corner of your screen.
    • Click Network settings.
    • Click Manage Wi-Fi settings.
    • Under Manage known networks, click the network you want to delete.
    • Click Forget.

Note: You may also type netsh wlan show profiles in the
    Command Prompt to manage and delete wireless network profiles.

Regards.

Aileen Alf, Feb 22, 2020
Thema:

Deleting old network connections/profiles and changing the name back?

1. Deleting old network connections/profiles and changing the name back? - Similar Threads - Deleting old network

2. Network Connections & Hardware - Name & Description Change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Connections & Hardware - Name & Description Change: Dear Microsoft Community,How can I modify the Name & Description for some select Network Connections & Hardware, please?Nume: Connexion au réseau local* 1Descriere: Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual AdapterAdresă fizică MAC: f4:7b:09:6e:ae:34Stare: NefuncționalăUnitate de...
  3. Network Connections & Hardware - Name & Description Change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Connections & Hardware - Name & Description Change: Dear Microsoft Community,How can I modify the Name & Description for some select Network Connections & Hardware, please?Nume: Connexion au réseau local* 1Descriere: Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual AdapterAdresă fizică MAC: f4:7b:09:6e:ae:34Stare: NefuncționalăUnitate de...
  4. User name profile change but user account was deleted

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    User name profile change but user account was deleted: I was trying to change the name of my account by regedit.exe, I did it but I used command promt to run it, but now my user account disappeared and all my data as well, I can't find anything...
  5. changing network profile

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    changing network profile: I want to change my network profile from public to private but I see no way to do this. Is there a way to change it and how is it done? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-network-profile/265180f8-d7e2-4bcd-a802-1efdc6ea0d66"
  6. Delete Old Profiles? GPO

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Delete Old Profiles? GPO: Hello, We have a Folder Redirect for staff so files are roaming but not for students, so students accounts are stored on the SSD, at the moment every so often I have to manually log into the machine and delete the profiles needed. this is time consuming and also if left too...
  7. delete an old network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    delete an old network: I have an old network still showing in lists of networks how do I remove or delete it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/delete-an-old-network/5417317a-8c86-461d-abff-04d55f5fa25a
  8. User Profile Name Change

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Profile Name Change: how do i change my user profile name from "quadr" to my name "Patrick"? for some reason, when i clean installed, it set up my user profile like that instead of my name... 9824
  9. How to change name and password of network connection?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change name and password of network connection?: I have just set up the "o2 HomeBox 6641". How can one change the name of the network connection: [img] [img] "WiFi" can be changed / renamed, but "o2-WLAN" cannot, I would like to rename it. How / where can I change the WPA2 key, the password for the Internet...
  10. Change Network Profile Name in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Network Profile Name in Windows 10: How to: Change Network Profile Name in Windows 10 How to Change a Network Profile Name in Windows 10 The first time that you connect to a network, Windows automatically creates a network profile and stores it on your computer. Your computer can then automatically...