Windows 10: Dell fails to boot.

Discus and support Dell fails to boot. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Get black screen with the revolving dots icon, It has run this way for over an hour. Recovery disk fails to yield any benefit. Computer showed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jrbecker, Sep 14, 2017.

1. jrbecker Win User

Dell fails to boot.

Get black screen with the revolving dots icon, It has run this way for over an hour. Recovery disk fails to yield any benefit. Computer showed "automatic repair" mode but no results. May have been scammed. Had a guy tell me he had to "cut off your computer" because I would not subscribe to his repair package.

:)

jrbecker, Sep 14, 2017
  2. Teddy2016 Win User

Windows 10 Upgrade Problem

Hello Jed51

From information in you post it sounds like the upgrade to the OEM copy of Windows 7 failed. It wants to boot into the Dell recovery partition and fail. Its the Dell logo through me for a loop. Was that the screen you used to login to Windows 7?

Teddy2016, Sep 14, 2017
  3. Windows 10 black screen on start up

Hi, The upgrade to windows 10 is successful on my dell 260 desktop and my surface 3 pro but has failed on my dell Vostro 3550. from boot it shows the windows logo then the screen goes black. I've re-booted at least ten time with the same outcome each
    time. With a black screen i can't see what's happening to run any fix routines and running the system test from boot tells me my CD drive has failed! any solutions?

scimitarshane, Sep 14, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Dell fails to boot.

In your case it may be that the "guy" did something that encrypted the drive because you didn't give him money, it's called Ransomware. I'd say a clean install is in order but I usually boot to a Linux LiveDVD first to see if anything can be recovered from the drive.

Berton, Sep 14, 2017
  5. jrbecker Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion Berton.
    I just finished resetting to an earlier date, to no avail, which means I can get into the "F12" menu. I can see what other options there may be there. Is there anything unique about a "clean install"? How can that be done since I can not restart the computer?

jrbecker, Sep 15, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    A clean install is accomplished by booting to a DVD or a USB created for the purpose by the MCT/Media Creation Tool and will wipe out everything on the drive. If there's problems where Windows won't load such as the Win7 I did yesterday I will first wipe out all the partitions to give the drive a 'new' status then boot the Windows media to install. In the most severe cases I have removed the drive and put it in a drive dock in a different computer and do the first part. I have a Linux Mint Desktop I can do the same with, has GPARTED installed on it and gives me the ability to save any possible data before wiping the partitions.

Berton, Sep 15, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Have a look at
    Download Windows 10 ISO File Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

When you have your PC up and running again, you may want to consider- as soon as Windows is running and before you install anything else- how you protect yourself from this sort of scenario, and avoid losing time and perhaps data, and give yourself the chance of recovering without needing technical help, perhaps within an hour or so.

We constantly and repeatedly urge people to use disk imaging routinely. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) (other programs exist) + its boot medium + external storage for image sets.

You can image the set of partitions for Windows and any other combination of disks and partitions. An image is a compressed copy. Image sets are made up of a base image- the first- and smaller differential images- the difference between the base image and the imaged partitions/disks when the image is created.

Restoring an image can be done to a new disk, or to the existing disk.

Images also act as backups from which files and folders can be extracted.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Dell fails to boot.

1. Dell fails to boot. - Similar Threads - Dell fails boot

2. No boot in Dell Optiplex

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No boot in Dell Optiplex: Desktop won't power on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-boot-in-dell-optiplex/185b9832-deb5-4b88-8c01-54bdf213dde2
  3. No boot in Dell Optiplex

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No boot in Dell Optiplex: Desktop won't power on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-boot-in-dell-optiplex/185b9832-deb5-4b88-8c01-54bdf213dde2
  4. Dell Optiplex No Boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dell Optiplex No Boot: Desktop No boot ,Black Screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-optiplex-no-boot/68cdd510-b92c-427c-b83c-5796d2cf5e70
  5. No boot in Dell Optiplex

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Dell Optiplex No Boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell Optiplex No Boot: Desktop No boot ,Black Screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-optiplex-no-boot/68cdd510-b92c-427c-b83c-5796d2cf5e70
  7. Dell Optiplex No Boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Dell 7548 failed bios update, won't boot. Dell is handling issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Dell 7548 failed bios update, won't boot. Dell is handling issue: My laptop started displaying a screen during some shutdown attempts and would restart instead. I had to take a picture to read it and it said "Flash update failed, flash image invalid or not found, system will reset in 5 seconds." This prompted me to check dells site which...
  9. Dell 7548 failed bios update, won't boot.

in Windows 10 Support
    Dell 7548 failed bios update, won't boot.: My laptop started displaying a screen during some shutdown attempts and would restart instead. I had to take a picture to read it and it said "Flash update failed, flash image invalid or not found, system will reset in 5 seconds." This prompted me to check dells site which...
  10. Dell won't boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dell won't boot: My dell inspirio 1545 wont boot up, operating system not found.. how do run a diagnostic text, or up grade to windowd 10 if i cant get pass this message an i dont have a usb recovery stik or dvd to use. Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, &...