Windows 10: Dell laptop in airplane mode and all apps closed when wake up

Discus and support Dell laptop in airplane mode and all apps closed when wake up in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Dell Latitude E5570 with all drivers/bios fully up to date. Additionally, Windows 10 is fully up to date. Here is the process I have been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by huntert, May 30, 2017.

1. huntert Win User

Dell laptop in airplane mode and all apps closed when wake up

I have a Dell Latitude E5570 with all drivers/bios fully up to date. Additionally, Windows 10 is fully up to date.

Here is the process I have been using for the past 1.5 years with this laptop and it has been working fine:

When finished working for the day:
    • Start -> User -> Lock to lock the computer so when it wakes up I still have all of my apps running.
    • Unplug everything from the laptop (including the power cable).
    • Shut the lid and make sure the light goes into a soft blinking sleep mode.

The next day when I open the lid the laptop is in airplane mode and the battery is half way drained. Something is definitely running while the computer is in sleep mode.

The same issue happens when I single press the power button to directly put the laptop into sleep mode when finished for the day, then close the lid.

The problem started happening about 3 weeks ago. I am sure it is due to a driver update or something. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I noticed disabling hibernate in command line fixed the airplane mode issue (but why should I have to do this?). However, it did not fix the battery drain issue.

:)

huntert, May 30, 2017

2. Win10 Sleep Mode turns WiFi to Airplane mode and does not resume upon waking

Hi when my laptop goes into sleep mode (close the lid, power button or time) airplane mode becomes activated.
    There is nothing wrong with my network adaptors, please do not post information about troubleshooting network adaptors. This is an event that occurs because of sleep mode. Upon waking up it is a simple matter to disable airplane mode, its just
    annoying. I read that a previous poster had the same issue but it went away with an update, my system is completely up to date.

Dell 9365, Win10 (1709 16299.309)

James-Cooper, May 30, 2017
  3. 77Lefty Win User
    Windows 10 programs closed after sleep mode and volume muted

Windows 10 keeps closing my open programs / apps during sleep mode. My previously opened applications are closed and the computer volume is muted upon wake up. Anyone else experiencing this? Is there a fix available?

I'm using a Dell XPS15 laptop.

77Lefty, May 30, 2017
  4. Dell laptop in airplane mode and all apps closed when wake up

Hi huntert. Welcome to the TenForums @huntert

I would first review your Windows update history back at least four weeks. You should see which drivers were installed on your behalf. If you find one you can roll back. If this works you will have to tell Windows to lay off the driver updates.

Not sure if your laptop supports Connected Standby sleep but this is a sleep state similar to an always on tablet. To see what states your laptop supports enter

powercfg -a

to a command prompt(admin).

As to wireless card, if you did get driver update it may have changed your power setting for wireless adapter. Open device manager, right click on adapter , then properties, then power tab. Remove check mark beside "Allow computer to shut off device to save power"

As to power drain it could be some app or apps are now constantly checking in with the mother ship to see if any one has posted, if mail has been received etc. This activity usually only happens in Connected Standby.

Enter settings, then privacy and down left hand side look for background apps. Take a hard look at which apps should be allowed.

There is also a Sleep Study report in our tutorial section which may help you in identifying root cause.

Generate Sleep Study Report in Windows 10

Ken

Caledon Ken, May 30, 2017
  5. mikolajek Win User
    I'd bet it does - all new Dells coming with the new Intel chips have CS enabled by default. It's supposedly a "desired feature" of Intel struggling to bring more power efficiency to its products. However for me Intel seems to forget that not all devices are tablets...

mikolajek, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Dell laptop in airplane mode and all apps closed when wake up

1. Dell laptop in airplane mode and all apps closed when wake up - Similar Threads - Dell laptop airplane

2. apps close when laptop goes on sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    apps close when laptop goes on sleep mode: Hi,I have been experiencing an issue with the sleep mode since the windows last update; the issue is some apps like drawboard PDF and media player close automatically when the laptop goes on the sleep mode.I have tried troubleshooting the power but with no success.Is there...
  3. apps close when laptop goes on sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    apps close when laptop goes on sleep mode: Hi,I have been experiencing an issue with the sleep mode since the windows last update; the issue is some apps like drawboard PDF and media player close automatically when the laptop goes on the sleep mode.I have tried troubleshooting the power but with no success.Is there...
  4. How to wake up my laptop when it's closed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to wake up my laptop when it's closed?: I closed my laptop and connected it to a monitor. I set that when it's not connected to power, it will go to sleep in 1 minute. And it goes to sleep as setting.It turns out that I cannot wake it when the laptop is closed. Why and how can I make it possible? For your...
  5. How to wake up my laptop when it's closed?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to wake up my laptop when it's closed?: I closed my laptop and connected it to a monitor. I set that when it's not connected to power, it will go to sleep in 1 minute. And it goes to sleep as setting.It turns out that I cannot wake it when the laptop is closed. Why and how can I make it possible? For your...
  6. How to wake up my laptop when it's closed?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  7. Sleep mode closing all apps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sleep mode closing all apps: Not sure if flair is right, but for whatever reason, whenever my laptop wakes up from sleep mode, any apps that I had opened before (Chrome, Word, etc) are all closed. When I tried to open Chrome, it said that it failed to shut down properly. Any idea as to why this is...
  8. dell laptop stuck in airplane mode. unable to turn on wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    dell laptop stuck in airplane mode. unable to turn on wifi: my dell laptop is stuck in airplane mode and will not reset. I can not turn on wireless connection. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/dell-laptop-stuck-in-airplane-mode-unable-to-turn/b0ceba85-1066-45e7-a395-29cfe7edc8b9
  9. Airplane Mode Is On When Computer Wakes Up From Sleep

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Airplane Mode Is On When Computer Wakes Up From Sleep: Hi, I am on 10565 Pro version though this occured in last build too. Whenever I come back to my pc in the morning after putting it in hibernate mode for the night my airplane mode is always on. I notice it first by my bluetooth mouse being disconnected and then wifi...
  10. Sleep mode closing all my apps,when waking up the machine.

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep mode closing all my apps,when waking up the machine.: Hello. I noticed yesterday , that when i resume from the sleep state, all my opened apps are gone. They don't stay in the Ram, so when the machine wakes up, i have to reopen everything. Also , when i wake up my laptop, it takes a lot more, like it was shutted down, not put...