Windows 10: Dell laptop keeps treating left-clicks as right-clicks

Discus and support Dell laptop keeps treating left-clicks as right-clicks in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am increasingly frustrated by the behaviour of my Dell laptop, which is two years old. It's a 5559 and the touchpad has *always* been flaky despite... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RhinoCan, Jan 14, 2018.

1. RhinoCan Win User

Dell laptop keeps treating left-clicks as right-clicks

I am increasingly frustrated by the behaviour of my Dell laptop, which is two years old. It's a 5559 and the touchpad has *always* been flaky despite several installations of the "latest and greatest" touchpad drivers. It's gotten especially bad in the last few weeks and in almost every case, treats a normal left click as a right click. As a result, I am constantly closing context menus that I didn't want so that I can do what I actually want to do. Sometimes, it takes 3 or 4 tries before it actually treats a left-click as a left-click and not a right-click.

I've looked at my hands and they are not on the right hand side of the touchpad when I click yet the touchpad continues to behave as if I am on the bottom right corner rather than the bottom left corner.

I haven't tried a driver refresh lately because none of my previous driver updates actually accomplished anything very dramatic. Do I need to try that yet again, despite previous failures to solve the problems? How long does it usually *take* before the touchpad drivers on a laptop actually work properly? Mine have been hyper-sensitive from the start and frequently behave as if I've touched the touchpad when my hands are hovering well above it. I've gotten used to this over the past two years but this goofiness with mistaking left-clicks for right-clicks may be the straw that broke the camel's back.

I can't afford a new computer right now so I'm hoping someone here can suggest some way of getting this touchpad to work better than it is currently behaving.

:)

RhinoCan, Jan 14, 2018

2. my left and right clicks not work

It started a week or so ago. I did not make changes. I've tried updating the drivers. But everything says it is up to date.

No error messages.

BettyMcEntire, Jan 14, 2018
  3. my left and right clicks not work

Hi Betty,

Hardware issues or outdated driver can be few of the reasons why you're mouse is acting up. We'd like to know more information so we can isolate the problem. Please answer the following:

• Did you make any recent changes to your device prior to this issue?
    • When did the problem begin?
    • Did you encounter any error messages?
    • Have you tried updating the device driver?

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Ronalene Mat, Jan 14, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

Is that Dell a Latitude or an Inspiron?

A couple of things, in Control Panel or Settings look for Mouse, might be in devices. The buttons can be reversed left for right, etc. Have you tried a USB or USB Wireless mouse? If that works there is a key or key combination of Fn + another or just the other that will disable the touchpad, that's a hardware setting.

Berton, Jan 14, 2018
  5. RhinoCan Win User
    My Dell is an Inspiron. Here are the specs:
    Dell Inspiron 5559 Specs - CNET

I have not tried a mouse recently and do not want to use a mouse if I can avoid it; I've become accustomed to the touchpad and feel clumsy with a mouse. I have at least one wireless mouse in a box but I've recently moved and it's still in a box and I don't know which of the many boxes it is. It would be a major pain to have to go through all of the boxes to find the mouse.

What I really want is for the touchpad to work properly the way the touchpads on previous laptops have worked. If you can suggest a way to accomplish that, I'm eager to hear it.

RhinoCan, Jan 14, 2018
  6. zbook New Member
    In the left lower corner search type: mouse > open settings for the mouse > click on mouse and touchpad to modify the settings to your preferences. If you are unable to modify these settings please report that into the thread.

Sometimes strange things can happen when the operating system has corruption. So check the os and the drive file system with these administrative command prompt commands:
    1) sfc /scannow
    2) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    3) chkdsk /scan
    4) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

5) If there is no in the above then place the computer in safe mode with networking and see if things return to normal or whether the problems persist in safe mode:
    Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

6) Run the dell diagnostics:
    Resolve Hardware Issues With Built-in and Online Diagnostics (ePSA or PSA Error Codes) | Dell US

Post an image of the results into the thread:
    Take Screenshot in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

zbook, Jan 14, 2018
  7. RhinoCan Win User
    I appreciate your suggestions, zbook, but I'm dealing with a more serious problem at the moment and won't be able to try the various things you've suggested for a bit longer. If all goes well, I might get back to them tomorrow or the day after.

RhinoCan, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Dell laptop keeps treating left-clicks as right-clicks - Similar Threads - Dell laptop keeps

2. Left Click Working as Right Click

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Left Click Working as Right Click: Hello. I have a very odd problem that I need help with. Starting last night, and for no real reason, my pc started to register my mouse’s left clicks as right clicks. On top of this, it’s not registering right clicks as left clicks as if they were flipped, so I don’t have any...
  3. Left Click Working as Right Click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Left Click Working as Right Click: Hello. I have a very odd problem that I need help with. Starting last night, and for no real reason, my pc started to register my mouse’s left clicks as right clicks. On top of this, it’s not registering right clicks as left clicks as if they were flipped, so I don’t have any...
  4. Left Click Working as Right Click

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My right click sometimes left clicks.

My right click sometimes left clicks.: On occasions my right click will left click. It wont do that on another mouse. The driver is updated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-right-click-sometimes-left-clicks/f541c2ed-8ac1-47e4-8d60-6b4f9a24ae1b
  6. dell mouse left click randomly right clicks

dell mouse left click randomly right clicks: i have a dell mouse and i know this prblm is weird but let me explain whenever i left click and hold and drag somehing my mouse leave that drag item and right clicks and whenever i rapidly use left clicks the right click context menu appear for few clicks and then the left...
  7. Minesweeper detects right click as left click?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minesweeper detects right click as left click?: Whenever I click on a tile it puts a flag instead of revealing what the tile is. Did I do something wrong or is it a bug? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/minesweeper-detects-right-click-as-left-click/5afd697e-37f3-4953-a593-d0356ab5ca34
  8. Minesweeper detect right click as left click?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minesweeper detect right click as left click?: Whenever I click on a tile it puts a flag instead of revealing what the tile is. Did I do something wrong or is it a bug? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/minesweeper-detect-right-click-as-left-click/5afd697e-37f3-4953-a593-d0356ab5ca34
  9. laptop keeps on right clicking + left click works as right click

in Windows 10 Customization
    laptop keeps on right clicking + left click works as right click: hey... i've been really frustrated for the past few days. my laptop has been right clicking on it's own since a few days ago and i also noticed that the left click works the same as the right click. it just keeps on showing the menu thing even though i don't press anything. i...
  10. Left click also right clicks sometimes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Left click also right clicks sometimes: If I hold left click, then sometimes, it right clicks as well. I'm only touching the left mouse button, and yes, my primary buttons aren't switched. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling most of my mouse drivers and restarting my PC. Please send help....