Windows 10: desktop changed, floating start menu, no settings, etc..

Discus and support desktop changed, floating start menu, no settings, etc.. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I"m not sure what I did, but my desktop has changed. I tried to attach a screenshot, but don't think I did it correctly. Here's what it looks like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by joemontana, Aug 31, 2015.

1. desktop changed, floating start menu, no settings, etc..

I"m not sure what I did, but my desktop has changed. I tried to attach a screenshot, but don't think I did it correctly.

Here's what it looks like when I touch the start button.
    -My start menu items are floating sort of to the right, in the position they normall are.
    -However, this is where it gets wierd.
    -Veritically, on the left
    1. Start button
    2. a button which brings up All Programs
    3. Power button
    <large blank space>
    4. All the way at the top, a button which when clicked shows most used apps.

Joe
    Kalispell, Montana

:)

joemontana, Aug 31, 2015

2. Drag-and-Drop to Start button: "Pin to Start menu" prompt appears, but nothing gets pinned to the menu

When I drag various shortcuts from my desktop to Start button, a floating prompt appears over the Start button. It says: "Pin to Start menu". However, dropping shortcuts over Start button does not pin anything to Start menu. Nothing at all happens, actually.

So, what is the meaning of that "Pin to Start menu" prompt? Any why doesn't it really pin anything?

Andrey_T04, Aug 31, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Desktop Wallpaper Won't Change

Whenever I attempt to change my desktop wallpaper, it INSTANTLY reverts back to the current background and will not allow me to change it. I have checked settings under Ease of Access, Local Group Policy Editor settings, deleted the "transcodedWallpaper"
    in the themes menu, etc, etc, etc. Nothing works at all. It is extremely frustrating!

Xx 1 AM OM3GA, Aug 31, 2015
  4. desktop changed, floating start menu, no settings, etc..

paulsalter, Aug 31, 2015
  5. Thank you paul, that's what it looks like. But, how do I access settings while in tablet mode?

Joe

joemontana, Aug 31, 2015
  6. NM...I was able to access setting in the alphabitized start menu..desktop changed, floating start menu, no settings, etc.. :)
    Joe

joemontana, Aug 31, 2015
  7. jackie Win User
    Cool, easy was to click on notification icon in task bar. just in case if you need to know for in future... good thing is you have already figured it out anyways.

jackie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

desktop changed, floating start menu, no settings, etc..

1. desktop changed, floating start menu, no settings, etc.. - Similar Threads - desktop changed floating

2. How can I reactivate the start menu, settings menu, etc without using start menu and settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I reactivate the start menu, settings menu, etc without using start menu and settings?: Hi. My start menu, task bar, settings menu and system tray are all inoperative. In task manager they show a green leaf and comment about UWP suspension. The only suggestions as to how to reactivate them involves using these same inoperative start menu and settings. How do I...
  3. How can I reactivate the start menu, settings menu, etc without using start menu and settings?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I reactivate the start menu, settings menu, etc without using start menu and settings?: Hi. My start menu, task bar, settings menu and system tray are all inoperative. In task manager they show a green leaf and comment about UWP suspension. The only suggestions as to how to reactivate them involves using these same inoperative start menu and settings. How do I...
  4. How can I reactivate the start menu, settings menu, etc without using start menu and settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Start Menu Icons Settings, Spotify, etc. are gone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu Icons Settings, Spotify, etc. are gone: Hello,ive changed a few graphic things to enable better frames in games, such as enable game mode, hardware-accelerated-gpu scheduling, focus assistant and the adjust the appearance and performance settings i already changed the appearance back to what windows recommends...
  6. Start Menu Icons Settings, Spotify, etc. are gone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu Icons Settings, Spotify, etc. are gone: Hello,ive changed a few graphic things to enable better frames in games, such as enable game mode, hardware-accelerated-gpu scheduling, focus assistant and the adjust the appearance and performance settings i already changed the appearance back to what windows recommends...
  7. Start Menu Icons Settings, Spotify, etc. are gone

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. floating start menu after resolution change

in Windows 10 Customization
    floating start menu after resolution change: After getting a higher-resolution monitor many windows menus etc. don't scale properly anymore. Start menu: [IMG] The search box is floating on the desktop, and the start menu is floating somewhere in mid-air. Furthermore, many other menus are not scaling at all:...
  9. My Desktop, Start Menu, Etc.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Desktop, Start Menu, Etc.: Well, Microsoft finally did it. It had to happen but I can't believe the stupidity in their move. My machine is so messed up, as of July 6, 2019, that anything I place on the Desktop will NOT stay after a restart. Games will NOT start from the Start menu at any time. And,...
  10. Can't save changes to desktop, start menu, etc. Help!

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't save changes to desktop, start menu, etc. Help!: I'm trying to use TeamViewer 11 to help my elderly Dad get his Win10 machine running again after something reset it, or at least wiped out his preferences. I was able to restore some of his desktop shortcuts, but I can't get any more shortcuts to stick. Any changes I make...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. floating start button windows 7