Windows 10: Desktop icon shortcut arrow changes out of the blue

Discus and support Desktop icon shortcut arrow changes out of the blue in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm running Win 10 Pro 64bit AE and was playing Solitare for a little while tonight when the background desktop flashed and all my program icon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rzn6jw, May 19, 2017.

1. rzn6jw Win User

Desktop icon shortcut arrow changes out of the blue

I'm running Win 10 Pro 64bit AE and was playing Solitare for a little while tonight when the background desktop flashed and all my program icon shortcut arrows changed from a white square with blue arrow to a green circle with a yellow arrow. I did a refresh and they all changed back again but what gives??? There were no entries in the Event Viewer so I don't know what happened. No malware or viruses either.

Anyone hear of this?

(Be back in the morning).

:)

rzn6jw, May 19, 2017

2. How do I shrink the size of the blue arrow or blue/yellow checkered shield over the top of my desktop shortcut icons?

On my desktop shortcuts, the blue arrows on white squares are taking up almost the entire lower left quadrant of my icon. Also, some shortcuts have a blue and yellow checkered shield in the lower right quadrant. Combined, about half the icon is obscured.
    Is there any way to shrink the size of arrows and shields that overlay these icons, or conversely, increase the relative size of the icons so that the arrow or shield obscures less of them?

MrBrassman, May 19, 2017
  3. Windows 10: What are the tags on desktop icons?

Does a right-click, Refresh on the desktop help?

Are these icons actually shortcuts? i.e. did they have the small blue arrow in a white square on them originally?

Or if you right-click and click properties, is there a shortcut tab?

If so, it may be that the shortcut ICON needs to be reset as per - Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10

If that didn't help, try a full ICON cache rebuild - Rebuild Icon Cache in Windows 10

George222(2), May 19, 2017
Thema:

Desktop icon shortcut arrow changes out of the blue

1. Desktop icon shortcut arrow changes out of the blue - Similar Threads - Desktop icon shortcut

2. Weird arrow icon on desktop icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Weird arrow icon on desktop icons: Since last week I have this strange blue arrow symbol on a lot of my desktop icons. How do I get it off?[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weird-arrow-icon-on-desktop-icons/94391928-601a-4868-a6a4-9b0cd5e48e49
  3. blue arrows on icons

blue arrows on icons: [ATTACH] how to remove his blue arrows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blue-arrows-on-icons/5b5fc570-dff5-4041-80c0-080ad5c65c4a
  4. Desktop Shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Shortcut Icons: Hello, Recently I noticed some small icons added over my desktop shortcuts. The icons were always clean, I even managed to remove the arrows once. Now there is over them sort of couple of human figures, as on attached screenshot. How to remove it so the icons will be clean...
  5. New double blue arrows for shortcut overlay?

New double blue arrows for shortcut overlay?: My shortcuts all have a new double blue arrow overlay since upgrading to Windows 10565. None of my older fixes (reg edits, etc) seem to work getting rid of this new visual change. Any Ideas Kevin 26212
  6. Changing Web Shortcut Icons on Desktop

in Browsers and Email
    Changing Web Shortcut Icons on Desktop: Hi all! I would like to add some web Shortcuts to my desktop and then change the icon so it shows a graphic for what the item is. I know how to add a web site short to the desktop, but the icon is just generic. For example, say I want to add an web shortcut for Taco Bell...
  7. Arrows on desktop shortcuts have disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Arrows on desktop shortcuts have disappeared: As the title says ... the arrows on my desktop shortcuts have disappeared. I don't know why. And not all of them are gone. [img] Whuzzup with all that? 104717
  8. Desktop shortcut icon arrow disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcut icon arrow disappeared: [img] <-Before [img] <-After I upgraded to Windows 10 recently, and I've noticed something strange happening. When I boot up my computer, the desktop looks fine, but after a while, the little arrow overlays at the bottom left corner of the shortcut icons disappear....
  9. Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10: How to: Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 How to Change, Remove, or Restore Shortcut Arrow Overlay Icon in Windows 10 A shortcut is a link to an item (such as a file, folder, or app) on your PC. You can create shortcuts and then place them in...
  10. Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10: How to: Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10 Change or Remove Double Blue Arrows Icon on Compressed Files and Folders in Windows 10 Windows 10 supports compression for individual files and folders on NTFS volumes using NTFS compression....