Windows 10: Desktop Icons and Programs Vanish After Update

Discus and support Desktop Icons and Programs Vanish After Update in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello Everyone, As the title suggests, I recently tried to complete a windows update. The update failed multiple times before it eventually applied.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/coffee_mug_, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Desktop Icons and Programs Vanish After Update

Hello Everyone,

As the title suggests, I recently tried to complete a windows update. The update failed multiple times before it eventually applied. Once I restarted my pc, I noticed the boot time was considerably slower than usual as my main boot drive is from an SSD.

In addition, once windows eventually loaded, all my desktop icons were gone, I cant access file explorer, none of the keyboard shortcuts to launch command prompt or to launch other windows is functional. Is there anything I can do to uninstall this update or more importantly, restore access to my drives?

Thank You!!

submitted by /u/coffee_mug_
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/coffee_mug_, Dec 1, 2019
  2. davidhk Win User

Desktop Icons vanished

To : DrAS,

Just to elaborate what Berton has told you..........that you are on Tablet Mode.
    If it is what Berton has suggested, you can have your desktop back. Follow steps below................
    Bottom right next to Time, there is a notification icon > click it > click Tablet mode.
    You should have your desktop back.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Desktop Icons and Programs Vanish After Update [​IMG]

davidhk, Dec 1, 2019
  3. DrAS Win User
    Desktop Icons vanished

Good evening

As of today without my apparent intervention:

1. Desktop icons have vanished (cannot right click on desktop)
    2. Taskbar icons have vanished (got them back as right-click works on taskbar)
    3. Cannot minimise window (browser, Outlook etc)

Is this an 'update' or have I carelessly altered something?

Many thanks

DrAS, Dec 1, 2019
  4. Berton Win User

Desktop Icons and Programs Vanish After Update

Desktop Icons vanished

I saw that once and discovered I had Tablet Mode turned on.

Berton, Dec 1, 2019
Thema:

Desktop Icons and Programs Vanish After Update

1. Desktop Icons and Programs Vanish After Update - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons Programs

2. Icons vanishing on taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons vanishing on taskbar: Hi, I have been experimenting this bug a few months ago, in two different computers, both with Windows 11.The invisible icon on the right is Microsoft EdgeI think this has something to do with desktop switching, it always happen when coming back to a desktop.It always happen...
  3. Icons vanishing on taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons vanishing on taskbar: Hi, I have been experimenting this bug a few months ago, in two different computers, both with Windows 11.The invisible icon on the right is Microsoft EdgeI think this has something to do with desktop switching, it always happen when coming back to a desktop.It always happen...
  4. My icons... They vanished!!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My icons... They vanished!!!: Hi thereLast month I installed Startup Sound Changer from https://startup-sound-changer.en.softonic.com/ but something happened that I did not expect.My Icons disappeared!You can probably tell by that header what happened, my icons disappeared. There are some pictures...
  5. Profile vanished after update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Profile vanished after update: My desktop installed an update recently and as it's a work computer I hadn't started the machine since. Today, I boot it up and my entire profile is missing. I can log in with the same code, but all my apps, settings, wallpaper everything is gone from the machine. I've not...
  6. Vanishing pointer after updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Vanishing pointer after updates: This problem started maybe a month and a half ago with an update. After I reset my computer, the mouse pointer essentially vanished. It would flicker occasionally, and I could still use the mouse (touchpad and usb mouse) to click on things, but barring an occasional flicker...
  7. Desktop icons vanished and replaced by white bars.

Desktop icons vanished and replaced by white bars.: I have plenty app icons on my desktop but they seem to have disappeared. This happens every time I boot my PC after installing the latest Windows update. If you need any more information feel free to request it - thanks. [IMG]...
  8. Program icon on the desktop

Program icon on the desktop: I want to add program icons on the desktop. I have a PC running Windows 10. How can I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-icon-on-the-desktop/270d66fb-772d-4107-90a8-5acfaafc5115
  9. Desktop vanished

Desktop vanished: Hi Following updates yesterday the desktop has become unusable. I can't even right or left click on it when I select it. Also I am unable to minimise windows and if I have two files from the same program open (eg excel) it won't let me select the second file. I don't seem...
  10. Desktop Icons vanished

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons vanished: Good evening As of today without my apparent intervention: 1. Desktop icons have vanished (cannot right click on desktop) 2. Taskbar icons have vanished (got them back as right-click works on taskbar) 3. Cannot minimise window (browser, Outlook etc) Is this an...