Windows 10: Desktop icons disappear in lower half of screen

Discus and support Desktop icons disappear in lower half of screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For the past few days, my desktop icons in the lower left-hand side of my screen become invisible. If I slowly move my cursor over the right spot, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rokbottom47, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Desktop icons disappear in lower half of screen

For the past few days, my desktop icons in the lower left-hand side of my screen become invisible. If I slowly move my cursor over the right spot, the little menu pops up telling me what icon I am over, and I can either drag it to the upper left half of the screen where it becomes visible, or double click the invisible icon to open the program. I have attached screen shots using the Recycle Bin as example. First one shows Bin. Second one show partial disappearance of Bin as I drag it below the "event horizon." Third show it completely disappears as I drag further down. Fourth shows pop-up as my cursor hovers over the spot where it exists but is invisible. Fifth shows Bin after dragging it back up. If I drag any icons to the middle or right side of the screen (either upper or lower half), the same bizarre behavior happens...they disappear. I have turned off Tablet mode which did not help. I have rebuilt Icon Cache which brings all icons back, but so does just a simple Restart. But they just disappear again. I think they may disappear after I play Uru Complete Chronicles, but need to test that some more. Anybody know a cure for this weird problem?
    Many thanks.

:)

rokbottom47, Jan 8, 2017

2. Disappearing icons on the desktop when switching to a different theme using Windows 10 Pro insider builds

Hello and welcome to the mystery -Disappearing icons from the bottom 1/4 of the desktop screen?

This happens frequently when switching to a different theme using Windows 10 Pro insider builds...This has been happening every since build 10.10.0.14295.1000 and is even in build 10.14328.1000.rs.160418-1609 and I don't understand it.

Further info if you use file explorer and go and into the viewing pane the icons the ones that have disappeared, you will find them there but not on your desktop and it is not icon specific and can be any icon that was in that 1/4 of the desktop screen

(however and occasionally you might see a tiny edge of one of the missing icons sticking up in that lower 1/4 of the screen)

and if you click and drag it up higher on the screen you can relocate the icon on the desktop and it will stay there?

I've tried even different display drivers and it makes no difference...

This is so annoying - solve this bug and it's going to make a lot of people happy and if we don't solve it...will make alot of people peeved!

DocDavidClemons, Jan 8, 2017
  3. How do I shrink the size of the blue arrow or blue/yellow checkered shield over the top of my desktop shortcut icons?

On my desktop shortcuts, the blue arrows on white squares are taking up almost the entire lower left quadrant of my icon. Also, some shortcuts have a blue and yellow checkered shield in the lower right quadrant. Combined, about half the icon is obscured.
    Is there any way to shrink the size of arrows and shields that overlay these icons, or conversely, increase the relative size of the icons so that the arrow or shield obscures less of them?

MrBrassman, Jan 8, 2017
  4. Desktop icons disappear in lower half of screen

cottonball, Jan 9, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    What do you use to get this group of icons at the top of the screen?

Desktop icons disappear in lower half of screen [​IMG]

Maybe it is interfering with displaying the desktop icons? Tried turning it off?

Bree, Jan 9, 2017
  6. Thank you, I had checked the Desktop Icons option one without any success. Also, the icon bar at the very top of the screen is from Dell, called Dell Dock. It has never caused a problem in Windows 7 and has not caused a problem with Windows 10 since I first upgraded to 10 in March 2016. I have recently run DISM/Cleanup Image and SFC. I have not had the problem since then, but it has only been 24 hours. I will give it a few more days before marking this as "resolved."

rokbottom47, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Desktop icons disappear in lower half of screen

1. Desktop icons disappear in lower half of screen - Similar Threads - Desktop icons disappear

2. Desktop icon disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icon disappeared: The Desktop Canon printer icon disappearedHow to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon-disappeared/4b3da210-d807-4d51-83e9-275e001532a1
  3. Desktop Icon disappeared

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icon disappeared: Hi everyone,Im currently experiencing icon went missing on desktop as the same time not able to perform left/right click on it even with touch pad or external mouse. Only the Desktop part not fucntioning wherenby the rest are still working as normal. Any expert here would be...
  4. Line in the lower half of the monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Line in the lower half of the monitor: everytime i put my monitor on 75 Hz below i see a line on the lower half of my screen everytime i put it higher than 75Hz It dissapear https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/line-in-the-lower-half-of-the-monitor/dc27183b-3ab9-43f2-a165-3c0508ac2fda
  5. Desktop Icons Disappearing

Desktop Icons Disappearing: For no explainable reason, the Icons on my Desktop Recycle Bin etc have disappeared. I have tried going through Personalization and Themes and ticking the icons I want on my Desktop but it's not working. Any advice? Thanks in advance...
  6. lower half of screen flashing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    lower half of screen flashing: about two hours ago, the lower half of my screen started flashing odd colors. not like flickering, it was more like the lower half and some parts above it would get distorted for about two seconds, wait another two seconds, and get distorted again. a little bit of the top of...
  7. Lower opacity of desktop icons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lower opacity of desktop icons: I was wondering if there is any way to lower the pacity of the desktop icons so I can see my wallpaper better without the icons getting in the way so much. submitted by /u/Something160 [link] [comments]...
  8. icons on desktop disappeared

icons on desktop disappeared: I have MS 10 and have an HP. My internet Explorer and other icons have disappeared. In place are a lot of blocks with different offerings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-on-desktop-disappeared/384198c5-9f8b-43c1-852f-3695f2b7f68c
  9. desktop icon disappear

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop icon disappear: windows 10 starts with a black screen (with few locked applications to task bar & tray) no right click so I can't ask to show desktop icons). It seems that the black screen is covering the desktop because playing with the settings (personalization etc) show all icons for a...
  10. Desktop Icon disappears

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icon disappears: Hello, I'm trying to research this issue for a small software company I work for. one of the most common issues I seem to see lately is that our customers are telling us that their shortcut to our program is disappearing from their desktop of their workstation computers....