Windows 10: Add or Remove Default Desktop Icons in Windows 10

Discus and support Add or Remove Default Desktop Icons in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Remove Default Desktop Icons in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Common Desktop Icons in Windows 10 Windows includes the common... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by sflesch, Jan 28, 2018.

1. sflesch Win User

Add or Remove Default Desktop Icons in Windows 10

How to: Add or Remove Default Desktop Icons in Windows 10

How to Add or Remove Common Desktop Icons in Windows 10

Windows includes the common This PC (aka: Computer), User's Files, Network, Recycle Bin, and Control Panel shortcuts that you can add or remove as icons on your desktop.

This tutorial will how you to add or remove common desktop icons for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Add or Remove Common Desktop Icons in Settings app
    • Option Two: To Add or Remove Common Desktop Icons using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Desktop icons

Add or Remove Default Desktop Icons in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Add or Remove Common Desktop Icons in Settings app
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Personalization icon.

*note If you like, you can open Run (Win+R), type the desk.cpl ,5 or rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,0 command into Run, and click/tap on OK to directly open Desktop Icon Settings at step 4 below instead.

2. Click/tap on Themes on the left side, and click/tap on the Desktop icon settings link on the right side under Related Settings. (see screenshot below)

3. You can now close Settings if you like.

4. Check (add) or uncheck (remove) the Desktop icons you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Add or Remove Common Desktop Icons using a REG file
    1. Do step 2 (This PC), step 3 (User's Files), step 4 (Network), step 5 (Recycle Bin), and/or step 6 (Control Panel) below for the desktop icons you want to add or remove from your desktop.

2. To Add or Remove This PC Desktop Icon
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 7 below.

*Arrow Add_This-PC_Desktop_Icon.reg

Download

*Arrow Remove_This-PC_Desktop_Icon.reg

Download

3. To Add or Remove User's Files Desktop Icon
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 7 below.

*Arrow Add_Users_Files_Desktop_Icon.reg

Download

*Arrow Remove_Users_Files_Desktop_Icon.reg

Download

4. To Add or Remove Network Desktop Icon

*Arrow Add_Network_Desktop_Icon.reg

Download

*Arrow Remove_Network_Desktop_Icon.reg

Download

5. To Add or Remove Recycle Bin Desktop Icon

*Arrow Add_Recycle_Bin_Desktop_Icon.reg

Download

*Arrow Remove_Recycle_Bin_Desktop_Icon.reg

Download

6. To Add or Remove Control Panel Desktop Icon

*Arrow Add_Control_Panel_Desktop_Icon.reg

Download

*Arrow Remove_Control_Panel_Desktop_Icon.reg

Download
    7. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

8. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

9. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

10. Refresh (F5) your desktop to apply.

11. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

sflesch, Jan 28, 2018
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Jan 28, 2018
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Jan 28, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello sflesch, *Smile

Do you have any issues setting this in "Desktop Icon Settings" from Option 1?

Brink, Jan 28, 2018
  5. sflesch Win User
    Actually, that is where I find the issue. I have been doing some more playing and found that if I log in and back out, the error is gone. Ideally I would like to avoid the issue altogether so when a new user logs in, they don't see the error.

I originally thought it wasn't enabling the This PC icon and broke it completely, but I just realized at some point I broke the script so it didn't enable the icon. I need to do a fresh load for sure to see if my script works, but I think the error still exists. I think changing that reg ksy though was a red herring since logging out and back in seems to fix the issue.

Here is the script in case you are curious. It's actually called by another script, but I think I have narrowed it to this one.

Code: :: Various registry keys from Shawn Brink:: Via Windows 10 Help Forums REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel" /V {20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /FREM REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu" /V {20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /F:: Show Explorer MenusREG ADD "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\AlwaysShowMenus" /V "DefaultValue" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /FREG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /V AlwaysShowMenus /T REG_DWORD /D 1 /F:: 0 Show, 1 Hide:: Show File ExtensionsREG ADD "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\HideFileExt" /V "DefaultValue" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /FREG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /V HideFileExt /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /F:: 0 Show, 1 Hide:: Show DrivesREG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /V NoDrives /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /F:: 0 Show, 1 Hide:: Open File Explorer toREG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /V LaunchTo /T REG_DWORD /D 1 /F:: 0 Quick Access:: 1 This PC"\\d073456\Software$\(1)ImageTools\Scriptfiles\SetDefaultBrowser.exe" "Google Chrome"pause:: To kill and restart explorertaskkill /f /im explorer.exeTIMEOUT /T 3start explorer.exe[/quote]

sflesch, Jan 28, 2018
  6. sflesch Win User
    I should clarify. The manual part of option one, not the command line. When I click on Desktop Icons, I get that error.

It's nothing critical. Upon further research, once you log out and back in again, this also fixes it, so no need for the registry key I mentioned above. I guess that would be a red herring.

It also only seems to happen for the first account created after running the script. I will have to do more research, but as long as I create one account (which is what I usually do as long as I remember) after running it, it doesn't look like any new future users see the issue. It's rather interesting.

sflesch, Jan 30, 2018
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Odd. I look forward to hearing your findings.

Brink, Jan 30, 2018
  8. sflesch Win User

I think I figured out the issue. It wasn't any of the registry keys, but when I'm done, I kill explorer.exe and then restart it. To confirm, I ran:
    Code: TASKKILL /F /IM explorer.exe TIMEOUT /T 3 START explorer.exe[/quote] alone and I get the same results. Once I log out and back in again, everything works as it should.

sflesch, Feb 5, 2018
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Interesting.

Does refreshing (F5) the desktop help any instead of having to restart explorer?

Brink, Feb 5, 2018
  10. sflesch Win User
    Nope. Still need to logoff once.

At least I know I can run my script and it doesn't totally mess the PC up permanently.

I'll keep researching as I get time. At least I know I can narrow it down to a force shutdown and restart of explorer.

Thanks for your help.

sflesch, Feb 7, 2018
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Feb 7, 2018
  12. sflesch Win User
    Thanks. I may mark this for later use, but right now these are my little obsessive one-time tweaks after imaging a PC to make my life a little easier.

sflesch, Feb 12, 2018
  13. Add or Remove Default Desktop Icons in Windows 10

You can also use:

desk.cpl ,5

instead of

rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,0

ricardobohner, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Add or Remove Default Desktop Icons in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Remove Default

2. How to add or remove Default Apps from Desktop context menu in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to add or remove Default Apps from Desktop context menu in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]In this post, we will show you how to add or remove Default Apps from the Desktop context menu in Windows 11/10 by editing the Windows Registry. Add or remove Default Apps from Desktop context menu A default app is the program that Windows uses automatically when you...
  3. add program icon to desktop Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    add program icon to desktop Windows 10: how to add program icons to desktop windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-program-icon-to-desktop-windows-10/a16825c2-2b65-41f9-8858-96a00e282bbd
  4. Add App icon in Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Add App icon in Desktop: how to you put an app icon on desktop [Original Title: Desktop] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/add-app-icon-in-desktop/c6c0d6ae-5301-411f-b72e-c2da93a0c2ac
  5. Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Windows How to Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Windows By default, Windows uses drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop. Depending on if your desktop background is light or...
  6. Add or Remove OneDrive Desktop Icon in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove OneDrive Desktop Icon in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove OneDrive Desktop Icon in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove OneDrive Desktop Icon in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows 10, you can easily save your files to OneDrive and get to them from any device, like your PC, tablet, or phone. OneDrive...
  7. Add or Remove Homegroup Desktop Icon in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Homegroup Desktop Icon in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Homegroup Desktop Icon in Windows 10 [img] Information A homegroup is a group of PCs on a home network that can share devices (such as printers), and libraries (such as your Documents, Pictures, Music, and Video libraries). Using a homegroup makes...
  8. Add or Remove Dropbox Desktop Icon in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Dropbox Desktop Icon in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Dropbox Desktop Icon in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Dropbox Desktop Icon in Windows 10 [img] Information Dropbox is a file hosting service operated by American company Dropbox, Inc. that offers cloud storage, file synchronization, personal...
  9. Add or Remove Libraries Desktop Icon in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Libraries Desktop Icon in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Libraries Desktop Icon in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Libraries Desktop Icon in Windows 10 [img] Information Libraries gather added folders that are stored in different locations so you can browse them in one place. This tutorial will show...
  10. Add or Remove Internet Explorer Desktop Icon in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Internet Explorer Desktop Icon in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Internet Explorer Desktop Icon in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Internet Explorer Desktop Icon in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows includes the common This PC (aka: Computer), User's Files, Network, Recycle Bin, and Control Panel shortcuts...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remove default icons desktop windows 10

2. 1 = show taskbar on multiple displays