Windows 10: Desktop Icons Have Disappeared

Discus and support Desktop Icons Have Disappeared in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Thanks "TheSmokey76" . It solved my problem. My Desktop Icons have appeared now. Have you tried this? Right click anywhere on the desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by craigm, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Karan Win User

Desktop Icons Have Disappeared

Thanks "TheSmokey76" . It solved my problem. My Desktop Icons have appeared now.

Karan, Feb 4, 2016

2. Thank you TheSmokey76, this helped me too!

KingofSpace, Feb 10, 2016
  3. tajw Win User
    Had the same issue and solution. My laptop was in sleep mode, I unplugged power, USB and DVI cable, took it to another room and powered up. Screen Icons were gone, tried several things, including reboot to no avail. Went back, plugged in DVI cable and Icons returned to screen. Unplugged cable and all is well.

Looks like we need a fix, Microsoft.

4. Desktop Icons Have Disappeared

Is it wrong that I want to drown someone at Microsoft like a rat? *Confused

kenlotterman, Feb 11, 2016
  5. The Icons are still there,you just can't see them, go to the start menu,type tablet mode setting,shut off tablet mode.where it says makes windows more user friendly,this will resolve the problem.the icons will re-appear,

munseypark, Feb 16, 2016
  6. techmania Win User
    The solution is simple. Do a reboot. Dont do a shutdown and then power on! Do a reboot from the start menu. It will solve the issue. Windows 8 onwards have fast startup with a system session always cached (like in hibernate) and hence the machine needs to be restarted from scratch.

techmania, Feb 23, 2016
  7. Cooltwou Win User
    I have this problem and I am not at all sure what my dad did the other day but you can't see any icons or anything on the desktop and no tablet mode is on and no reboot or just just shutting the computer off helped either with Windows 10 to get the icons back on the desktop and I don't know what to do to fix the problem either

Cooltwou, Mar 1, 2016
  8. wyldman68 Win User

He may have unchecked show desktop icons. Right click on desktop/view/click on show desktop icons (or make sure there is a check by show desktop icons)

wyldman68, Mar 1, 2016
  9. Smoorp Win User
    Same problem, all desktop files and folders gone! Well, I found them in the most ridiculous place you could imagine:
    C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Bridge CS4\Cache\256\Desktop6E309C78 and they are all .jpg although very few of them where images. I really cannot understand how this could happen. Anyway I was able to find them with locate32.
    I will now have to try and change the extensions and see what happens.

Smoorp, Mar 4, 2016
  10. Mae West Win User
    True genius Munseypark. I wasted so long trying everything, reboot, system restore, ticking boxes, failing to be able to right click on the desktop, downloading a new virus checker, uninstalling last update for windows etc etc. Your fix worked immediately.
    Thanks for sharing that info.

Mae West, Mar 14, 2016
  11. The best option is to left click on desk top, select view, the auto arrange icons.

raymondp1978, Mar 14, 2016
  12. Mae West Win User
    That's obviously the first solution but it didn't work. My desktop would do nothing at all. Hence all the other things I tried. Only munseypark's solution worked. Suggest trying solutions in order of simplicity then only resort to the other stuff if that doesn't work. Had I found munseyparks solution earlier I would have tried it for sure and saved myself hours of frustration, not to mention I still have to get my work done - amounts to unpaid overtime every time Windows does something stupid like this.

Windows has been nothing but trouble since No. 7. Kenlotterman is too kind about Microsoft. *Wink

Mae West, Mar 14, 2016
  13. Jaman42 Win User

I had trouble fixing my missing desktop icons, I made sure to check that "Show desktop icons" where ticked when right-clicking desktop -> view. I tried enabling and disabling tablet mode but no difference.

What worked for me was the icon spacing, left-click on your desktop, hold down CTRL and scroll with your mouse and see if they show up, they did for me.

Jaman42, Mar 15, 2016
  14. whiggs Win User
    This has probably been solved by now, but I was able to fix this error by just restarting Windows explorer. Right click empty area of task bar, select "task manager", go to "details" tab, find "explorer.exe", force end all of them, select file > run new task, and in new box that pops up type "explorer.exe".

whiggs, Mar 26, 2016
  15. helen Win User
    I had the same thing happen. I spent a long time trying to rectify the problem. I fixed it by going to tablet mode and back to laptop!

helen, Apr 12, 2016
Thema:

1. Desktop Icons Have Disappeared - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons Disappeared

2. Desktop icons have disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons have disappeared: I restarted my laptop and noticed all my desktop icons have disappeared. Theres also this weird shaded panel at the top of my screen which was never there before. When clicking on the shaded panel, it opens one of the files I had on my desktop.Additionally, when I go to my...
  3. Desktop icons have disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons have disappeared: I restarted my laptop and noticed all my desktop icons have disappeared. Theres also this weird shaded panel at the top of my screen which was never there before. When clicking on the shaded panel, it opens one of the files I had on my desktop.Additionally, when I go to my...
  4. The icons have disappeared from my desktop.

in Windows 10 Customization
    The icons have disappeared from my desktop.: All the icons have disappeared from my desktop. How do I get them back ? I am not in tablet mode. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-icons-have-disappeared-from-my-desktop/f167b396-ed0a-4a08-9af5-c97edee10888
  5. Desktop Icons have disappeared

Desktop Icons have disappeared: All of the icons on my desktop have disappeared. The text for the APPs is there and clickable. All programs appear to work. Also in the FILE EXPLORER even when I have the View marked as show Icons larger, medium etc. they do not show. On the desktop itself I also have it...
  6. Desktop & Taskbar Icons have disappeared

Desktop & Taskbar Icons have disappeared: All Desktop Icons & Taskbar Icons have disappeared. Why & how do I get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-taskbar-icons-have-disappeared/77766c8c-93a0-4e51-915c-75eb1d81c959
  7. Some Of My Desktop Icons Have Disappeared?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Some Of My Desktop Icons Have Disappeared?: Hello everyone, I've been clearing my desktop because it got to a point where it was filled with shortcuts I didn't need and so on. When It came around to deleting the shortcuts I moved all of the shortcuts I didn't want to delete into a folder so I could just delete the...
  8. icons on desktop disappeared

icons on desktop disappeared: I have MS 10 and have an HP. My internet Explorer and other icons have disappeared. In place are a lot of blocks with different offerings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-on-desktop-disappeared/384198c5-9f8b-43c1-852f-3695f2b7f68c
  9. Desktop Icon disappears

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icon disappears: Hello, I'm trying to research this issue for a small software company I work for. one of the most common issues I seem to see lately is that our customers are telling us that their shortcut to our program is disappearing from their desktop of their workstation computers....
  10. The icons on desktop have disappeared but labels still there

in Windows 10 Support
    The icons on desktop have disappeared but labels still there: i had this issue before and I reset the computer and got it all back and when I turned on the computer this morning the icons were missing and just the names of them were there. and on the task bar there are icons there but not the ones that fit the names they are like a dll...