Windows 10: Hide or Show Desktop Icons in Windows 10

Discus and support Hide or Show Desktop Icons in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Hide or Show Desktop Icons in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show All Icons on Your Desktop in Windows 10 [img] Information The desktop is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by dawnrenee1988, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Hide or Show Desktop Icons in Windows 10

How to: Hide or Show Desktop Icons in Windows 10

How to Hide or Show All Icons on Your Desktop in Windows 10

Hide or Show Desktop Icons in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information The desktop is the main screen area that you see after you turn on your PC and sign in to Windows. Like the top of an actual desk, it serves as a surface for your work. When you open programs or folders, they appear on the desktop. You can also put items on the desktop, such as files, folders, and shortcuts, and arrange them however you want.

This tutorial will show you how to hide or show all the icons on your desktop as needed in Windows 10.

Note When you hide desktop icons, the icons are still on your desktop, but just do not display.

Your desktop icons will still always show in your opened %UserProfile%\Desktop and shell:desktop folders in File Explorer.

EXAMPLE: Hide or Show Desktop Icons

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 (show) or step 3 (hide) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Show All Your Desktop Icons
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Right click or press and hold on your desktop (Shift+F10), click/tap on View, and click/tap on Show desktop icons to check it afterwards. (see screenshot below)

3. To Hide All Your Desktop Icons
    A) Right click or press and hold on your desktop (Shift+F10), click/tap on View, and click/tap on Show desktop icons to uncheck it afterwards. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

dawnrenee1988, Aug 8, 2015
  2. Marigoldy Win User

Can't hide Shortcut from my desktop

I'm using windows 10 pro 10240, I can hide my shortcut with right click on my desktop -> view -> uncheck show desktop icon but the problem is everytime I restart or turn on my pc there is no check mark in "show desktop icon" but all my desktop icon shows
    up like "show desktop icon" option was check marked. please help, thank you

Marigoldy, Aug 8, 2015
  3. Reymichael Ros, Aug 8, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hide or Show Desktop Icons in Windows 10

I'm glad it could help Dawn, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Brink, Aug 8, 2015
  5. jeannek Win User
    Tried the BAT file to display desktop ions on desktop, didn't work. I don't like them on the taskbar.

Thanks for any assistance

jeannek, Aug 12, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Jean,

It appears something has changed not allowing the .bat to show them again, so I removed that option for now. *Sad

Brink, Aug 12, 2015
  7. jeannek Win User
    Thanks, any other "fixes" for that problem?

jeannek, Aug 12, 2015
  8. Hide or Show Desktop Icons in Windows 10

You can change desktop icon size by holding Ctrl and scrolling with the mouse scroll wheel.

fracking4oil, Aug 12, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    For now, just using the desktop context menu. *Sad

Brink, Aug 12, 2015
  10. Ol Bab Win User
    Installed Win 10 this week. Many questions! But for this thread: I right clicked on desktop to hide icons, worked fine, BUT now right click on desktop is ignored, so I can't go back. Must be rare, nobody else on net mentions it...

Ol Bab, Aug 13, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Ol Bab, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

It sounds like you have some other issue at hand. If you haven't already, you might see if you may be able to after restarting the PC.

Brink, Aug 13, 2015
  12. Ol Bab Win User
    I've restarted many times over the week, usually to do with connection problems. No joy. Thank you.
    There are so many things that are so damned "intuitive" that they just don't need/get a help entry (where? Where is help?). Instead I am sent to the whole darn web, 236,00 hits, and good luck figuring out which to look at.*Mad Rant off.

Ol Bab, Aug 13, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Ol Bab,

In that case, use the Find and Find next feature in Registry Editor to search for all instances of the HideIcons DWORD. There should be two. When found, modify each one's data value to be 0 (zero), then restart the PC to apply. This should show your desktop icons again.

Brink, Aug 13, 2015
  14. jeannek Win User
    Did you try right clicking directly on the icon?

jeannek, Aug 13, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That wouldn't be the issue in this case for Ol Bab. *Smile

Brink, Aug 13, 2015
Thema:

1. Hide or Show Desktop Icons in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Hide Show Desktop

2. How to show or hide common system icons on Windows desktop

in Windows 10 News
    How to show or hide common system icons on Windows desktop: [IMG]You might have tried hiding all the desktop icons in your Windows 11 computer. Simply right-click in the empty space on your desktop and go to View > Show desktop icons. This will hide all the desktop icons. In this post, we will talk about how to show or hide common...
  3. Hide desktop icons on startup???

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hide desktop icons on startup???: SOLVED! :) How can I hide all desktop icons? ------------------------------------------------- I know how to hide the desktop icons by right clicking and choosing View then disabling Show unchecked Show Desktop Icons. But how does one make this permanent so that during...
  4. How to hide Taskbar & Desktop Icons on Startup on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    How to hide Taskbar & Desktop Icons on Startup on Windows 10: I only want to see my background when i log in. I've tried unshecking the 'Show desktop icons' option and it works ones after restarting the computer, but i've to unsheck it again for it to work another time. When it comes to the taskbar i've no clue, thanks in advance, any...
  5. How to hide windows 10 program icons on desktop temporarily?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to hide windows 10 program icons on desktop temporarily?: Im going to a computer repair shop and going to have them take out my battery... its bloated and swollen. When i turn on my laptop, i always have to enter my bitlocker pin... then my windows password and then it goes to my screen. I will be having a repair shop open my...
  6. Show/Hide Desktop icons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Show/Hide Desktop icons: Is there a keyboard shortcut to hide or show desktop icons? submitted by /u/Deathpact231 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i193tb/showhide_desktop_icons/
  7. hiding desktop icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    hiding desktop icons: How do you hide the desktop icons in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hiding-desktop-icons/aaefc1bb-020c-4564-b4ef-2a61f0388a1e
  8. Show or hide Safely Remove Hardware icon in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Show or hide Safely Remove Hardware icon in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]People who use the Windows operating system are aware of the Safely Remove Hardware functionality. This is a very useful function to protect the data on the USB from any harm when ejected from a computer. But many people tend [...] This post Show or hide...
  9. Desktop Icons On Windows 10 (upgrade from 8.1) hide and don't hide

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons On Windows 10 (upgrade from 8.1) hide and don't hide: Hello Everybody If I want hide my desktop Icons I must click hide desktop icons.... but one time is not enough, it happens only at second turn. If reebot the icons returns show. How I can resolve? Thank you...
  10. How to hide all windows at once = show desktop with icons only?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to hide all windows at once = show desktop with icons only?: Assume I have multiple windows open (browser, WinExplorer, Word,...). Is there a way to hide all these windows at once to show only desktop, then double click on one of the icons on desktop to start another prgm and finally re-show the previously hidden windows again? Peter...