Windows 10: Desktop Icons Have Disappeared

Discus and support Desktop Icons Have Disappeared in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For clarification, I would like to add that I did see the tutorial. In detail here is what I did: click the Window10 icon lower left orner. Selected... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by craigm, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Desktop Icons Have Disappeared

The problem seems to be that there are multiple desktops available. There is the default "This PC" desktop which is blank (no Icons) and then there is the users desktop. What appears to have happened is that following the update, Windows is defaulting to the "This PC" desktop instead of the users desktop.

What I did to this resolved was
    Right click on Windows Icon; start typing Desktop and then select "Show or hide common icons on Desktop"
    you will see a popup screen called "Desktop Icon Settings". This screen has two sections, on the top you select what icons you want to display, but the lower section sets what desktop your system defaults to.

Click on your user name and select OK
    That solved the problem for me.
    I hope this is helpful...

Gpatton913, Apr 19, 2016
  2. narcjoe Win User

Okay I did all this and did not get the icons to show UNTIL I clicked on "Auto Arrange Icons"... BOOM they all showed up *chuckle

narcjoe, Apr 30, 2016
  3. I have had this problem for a while. I have multiple monitors. I found a simple program called DesktopOk. It has saved me multiple times. I was made aware of it from another forum. Just Google it.

frenchie417, May 31, 2016
  4. AndreyT Win User

Desktop Icons Have Disappeared

No. The lower section has absolutely nothing to do with "what desktop your system defaults to". There are no multiple desktops in your system and there's no desktop that the system "defaults to". The bottom section is just a preview of what your standard icons look like in the current theme. Clicking on them achieves absolutely nothing.

No. Something else solved your problem for you.

AndreyT, Jun 1, 2016
  5. Qball Win User
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Seen this post several times no one has the correct fix that is see... Well until now...Go to tablet mode setting and turn it OFF (unless your using a tablet) Apparently there is a windows key combination that turns it on, I have not looked for it but if you press window key and accidentally find the right combo you loose the desktop...

Qball, Jun 8, 2016
  6. Qball Win User
    This is an OLD post but I don't see the correct FIX apparently? Many people have this problem no -one has the correct fix! Here it is with the explanation... Most likely the people with no fix had this problem, you accidentally pressed the windows and combo key another one the that Turns ON the TABLET Mode screen. Type in your search for Tablet mode settings link in and turn the tablet mode OFF... FIXED....

Qball, Jun 8, 2016
  7. camperiv Win User
    Just Rightclick on the desktop > View > change to large or small and then back to medium. *Smile

camperiv, Jun 23, 2016
  8. Chass Win User

This is the solution that worked for me. How a laptop ends up in tablet mode, I don't know.

Thanks for this reply!

ct

Chass, Jul 13, 2016
  9. THIS WORKED FOR ME!!! Thank you SO much!!

Squirl1899, Jul 22, 2016
  10. it works! thanks alot

venusgazer, Aug 14, 2016
  11. jyyarb Win User
    This works as well. Also an issue from switching back and forth from tablet mode on a laptop with that type of capability.
    Right click the desktop and check mark "auto arrange icons" instead of grid.

I assume this also works from connecting to a monitor and moving icons to the other screen. *Party

jyyarb, Aug 21, 2016
  12. EvaLyn Win User
    I know this thread is one year old, but in case it helps someone - I went to a local file directory and changed the file properties of THAT folder, subfolder and files in it to "Unhide". It proceeded to unhide so many Gigabytes worth of files that I freaked out and cancelled the operation.

Subsequently my cluttered desktop was cleared of all files, even the Recycle Bin icon! Right-clicking on the desktop didn't help either. Finally what worked was going into File Explorer (where the files didn't show up either), right-clicking Desktop and Properties and checking the "Hide" button (which has no reason - i think- to have hidden itself since what I had checked earlier was a folder on the local Temp C: drive. Then again, I'm no computer expert and I may have inadvertently done something silly. All I can say is that i'm glad my files are back!!

EvaLyn, Sep 4, 2016
  13. drmckee Win User

This procedure worked perfectly to restore my desktop and icons back into view.
    I clicked the windows Start icon (lower left) typed TABLET MODE. Right Clicked on the popup and UNselected, the more touch friendly switch. Thank you. It was about the second procedure I tried so you post saved me a lot of time that others have spent looking for the solution.

drmckee, Sep 15, 2016
  14. Acappella Win User
    Had the same problem & finally figured out "Tablet Mode" had been turned on. I turned this off & voila there was my desktop & all my icons.

Acappella, Oct 30, 2016
  15. addverma Win User
    Thanks Yuller this worked for me. My desktop was frozen in the tablet mode. It seems that MS has not ironed out all the chinks in the Windows touch functionality.

addverma, Nov 19, 2016
Thema:

1. Desktop Icons Have Disappeared - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons Disappeared

2. Desktop icons have disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons have disappeared: I restarted my laptop and noticed all my desktop icons have disappeared. Theres also this weird shaded panel at the top of my screen which was never there before. When clicking on the shaded panel, it opens one of the files I had on my desktop.Additionally, when I go to my...
  3. Desktop icons have disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons have disappeared: I restarted my laptop and noticed all my desktop icons have disappeared. Theres also this weird shaded panel at the top of my screen which was never there before. When clicking on the shaded panel, it opens one of the files I had on my desktop.Additionally, when I go to my...
  4. The icons have disappeared from my desktop.

in Windows 10 Customization
    The icons have disappeared from my desktop.: All the icons have disappeared from my desktop. How do I get them back ? I am not in tablet mode. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-icons-have-disappeared-from-my-desktop/f167b396-ed0a-4a08-9af5-c97edee10888
  5. Desktop Icons have disappeared

Desktop Icons have disappeared: All of the icons on my desktop have disappeared. The text for the APPs is there and clickable. All programs appear to work. Also in the FILE EXPLORER even when I have the View marked as show Icons larger, medium etc. they do not show. On the desktop itself I also have it...
  6. Desktop & Taskbar Icons have disappeared

Desktop & Taskbar Icons have disappeared: All Desktop Icons & Taskbar Icons have disappeared. Why & how do I get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-taskbar-icons-have-disappeared/77766c8c-93a0-4e51-915c-75eb1d81c959
  7. Some Of My Desktop Icons Have Disappeared?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Some Of My Desktop Icons Have Disappeared?: Hello everyone, I've been clearing my desktop because it got to a point where it was filled with shortcuts I didn't need and so on. When It came around to deleting the shortcuts I moved all of the shortcuts I didn't want to delete into a folder so I could just delete the...
  8. icons on desktop disappeared

icons on desktop disappeared: I have MS 10 and have an HP. My internet Explorer and other icons have disappeared. In place are a lot of blocks with different offerings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-on-desktop-disappeared/384198c5-9f8b-43c1-852f-3695f2b7f68c
  9. Desktop Icon disappears

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icon disappears: Hello, I'm trying to research this issue for a small software company I work for. one of the most common issues I seem to see lately is that our customers are telling us that their shortcut to our program is disappearing from their desktop of their workstation computers....
  10. The icons on desktop have disappeared but labels still there

in Windows 10 Support
    The icons on desktop have disappeared but labels still there: i had this issue before and I reset the computer and got it all back and when I turned on the computer this morning the icons were missing and just the names of them were there. and on the task bar there are icons there but not the ones that fit the names they are like a dll...