Windows 10: Desktop icons vanished and replaced by white bars.

Discus and support Desktop icons vanished and replaced by white bars. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have plenty app icons on my desktop but they seem to have disappeared. This happens every time I boot my PC after installing the latest Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by LukesterWad, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Desktop icons vanished and replaced by white bars.

I have plenty app icons on my desktop but they seem to have disappeared. This happens every time I boot my PC after installing the latest Windows update. If you need any more information feel free to request it - thanks.

Desktop icons vanished and replaced by white bars. [​IMG]

:)

LukesterWad, Jul 13, 2019
  2. davidhk Win User

Desktop Icons vanished

To : DrAS,

Just to elaborate what Berton has told you..........that you are on Tablet Mode.
    If it is what Berton has suggested, you can have your desktop back. Follow steps below................
    Bottom right next to Time, there is a notification icon > click it > click Tablet mode.
    You should have your desktop back.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Desktop icons vanished and replaced by white bars. [​IMG]

davidhk, Jul 13, 2019
  3. MCK
    mck Win User
    Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    1. Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    2. I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    3. Click OK
    4. Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

4. DrAS Win User

Desktop icons vanished and replaced by white bars.

Desktop Icons vanished

Good evening

As of today without my apparent intervention:

1. Desktop icons have vanished (cannot right click on desktop)
    2. Taskbar icons have vanished (got them back as right-click works on taskbar)
    3. Cannot minimise window (browser, Outlook etc)

Is this an 'update' or have I carelessly altered something?

Many thanks

Thema:

Desktop icons vanished and replaced by white bars.

1. Desktop icons vanished and replaced by white bars. - Similar Threads - Desktop icons vanished

2. White desktop icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    White desktop icons: Sometimes, this desktop icon you can see it in the screenshot would just turn white, but it happens only after certain system reboots etc. I had the same issue with other shortcuts before and I had to go to the original path of certain programs and create a new one from there...
  3. White Bar on desktop and no icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    White Bar on desktop and no icons: Hello, I usually sleep my computer rather than shut it down. But when I go onto my desktop after waking it up, there are no programmes. Just a white box in the top left corner. Sometimes there is another one placed randomly on my desktop. Here's what I'm talking about:...
  4. Desktop Icons Replaced With Gradient Bar

Desktop Icons Replaced With Gradient Bar: Occasionally when starting my computer, it will display a gradient bar instead of the normal icons? I have tried a clean restart, and a safe boot and nothing seems to work. I have scanned multiple times with multiple scanners. [ATTACH]...
  5. White Screen Replaces Desktop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    White Screen Replaces Desktop: About 4 weeks ago my Desktop started being replaced by a completely blank, white screen. This would happen sometimes after I turned on the computer. Within probably a minute of Desktop appearing, it would be replaced by the blank, white screen. I could do various things to...
  6. Desktop Replaced By Blank White Screen

Desktop Replaced By Blank White Screen: A couple weeks ago my Desktop started being replaced by a completely blank, white screen. This would happensometimes after I turned on the computer. Within probably a minute of Desktop appearing, it would be replaced the the blank, white screen. I could do various things...
  7. White bars on my desktop

White bars on my desktop: Hello, I have been having this problem for a couple months now, but now it is extremely annoying. On my desktop, I am unable to see my icons unless I double click the top left bar. Sometimes I can move the top left bar around, but not the bottom left. I have found that the...
  8. white icons on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    white icons on desktop: OK, I just redid windows 10, installed most of my programs, why are there white icons on the desktop? I have 13 icons, 10 are white, is it a corrupt file somewhere? I thought I would have a like new laptop when I did this but far from it, nothing but more problems. 147973
  9. White Bars on desktop

White Bars on desktop: I keep getting these white bars appearing at the top left of my desktop, they go away when i restart windows explorer, but is there away to stop them appearing at all?[IMG]...
  10. Desktop Icons vanished

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons vanished: Good evening As of today without my apparent intervention: 1. Desktop icons have vanished (cannot right click on desktop) 2. Taskbar icons have vanished (got them back as right-click works on taskbar) 3. Cannot minimise window (browser, Outlook etc) Is this an...