Windows 10: Desktop Icons vanished

Discus and support Desktop Icons vanished in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Good evening As of today without my apparent intervention: 1. Desktop icons have vanished (cannot right click on desktop) 2. Taskbar icons have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DrAS, Feb 19, 2016.

1. DrAS Win User

Desktop Icons vanished

Good evening

As of today without my apparent intervention:

1. Desktop icons have vanished (cannot right click on desktop)
    2. Taskbar icons have vanished (got them back as right-click works on taskbar)
    3. Cannot minimise window (browser, Outlook etc)

Is this an 'update' or have I carelessly altered something?

Many thanks

:)

2. AndyB007 Win User

Icons label appear but icons not showing

This morning when i open my laptop, all the icons got vanished from desktop, on the taskbar they are replaced by corrupt icons and in the drives file names appear but no icons. The labels are showing but the icons on desktop and inside every drive just
    got vanished. I have Norton 360 in my machine. IS it a virus problem? Any solution?

AndyB007, Feb 19, 2016
  3. cal680 Win User
    Vanishing icon on desktop

The label for the icon Is still there, but the icon itself vanished. If I put the curser above the label I can see an outline where the icon was. If I click on that spot, the program starts. This is another Windows 10 surprise moment? An hour ago it was
    fine, this just all of a sudden happened. No new programs installed, nothing deleted.

cal680, Feb 19, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Desktop Icons vanished

I saw that once and discovered I had Tablet Mode turned on.

Berton, Feb 19, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    To : DrAS,

Just to elaborate what Berton has told you..........that you are on Tablet Mode.
    If it is what Berton has suggested, you can have your desktop back. Follow steps below................
    Bottom right next to Time, there is a notification icon > click it > click Tablet mode.
    You should have your desktop back.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Desktop Icons vanished [​IMG]

davidhk, Feb 19, 2016
  6. DrAS Win User
    How simple! And how infuriating. All is now well and many thanks for your kind help saved me no doubt hours of pfaffing around and probably breaking other stuff!

7. davidhk Win User
    You are welcome.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Desktop Icons vanished

1. Desktop Icons vanished - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons vanished

2. Icons vanishing on taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons vanishing on taskbar: Hi, I have been experimenting this bug a few months ago, in two different computers, both with Windows 11.The invisible icon on the right is Microsoft EdgeI think this has something to do with desktop switching, it always happen when coming back to a desktop.It always happen...
  3. Icons vanishing on taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons vanishing on taskbar: Hi, I have been experimenting this bug a few months ago, in two different computers, both with Windows 11.The invisible icon on the right is Microsoft EdgeI think this has something to do with desktop switching, it always happen when coming back to a desktop.It always happen...
  4. Recover vanished taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover vanished taskbar icons: Recently after restart my won 11 system taskbar all icons were vanished, I was tried to repair or troubleshoot but no luck, Same tried revert or delete updates but after revert its still same. I don't want to reset or format device I just want to recover my task bar FYI...
  5. My icons... They vanished!!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My icons... They vanished!!!: Hi thereLast month I installed Startup Sound Changer from https://startup-sound-changer.en.softonic.com/ but something happened that I did not expect.My Icons disappeared!You can probably tell by that header what happened, my icons disappeared. There are some pictures...
  6. Two Desktop icons under This PC sidebar, Downloads vanished

in Windows 10 Customization
    Two Desktop icons under This PC sidebar, Downloads vanished: I was trying to play around trying to change the target location of the desktop. Somehow, now I have ended up with two Desktop shortcuts on the Sidebar with the Downloads shortcut vanished. My question is, how do I remove one of these Desktop shortcuts, and how do I add the...
  7. Added a second monitor and my desktop icons have vanished

Added a second monitor and my desktop icons have vanished: I added a second monitor to my WIN10 Home ASUS laptop. My desktop icons have vanished. However, a transparent white blank bar appears at the top of my screen when the mouse cursor is moved to the top. If I click on the ghosted bar, the Windows Explorer opens up to the...
  8. Desktop Icons and Programs Vanish After Update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icons and Programs Vanish After Update: Hello Everyone, As the title suggests, I recently tried to complete a windows update. The update failed multiple times before it eventually applied. Once I restarted my pc, I noticed the boot time was considerably slower than usual as my main boot drive is from an SSD. In...
  9. Desktop icons vanished and replaced by white bars.

Desktop icons vanished and replaced by white bars.: I have plenty app icons on my desktop but they seem to have disappeared. This happens every time I boot my PC after installing the latest Windows update. If you need any more information feel free to request it - thanks. [IMG]...
  10. Desktop vanished

Desktop vanished: Hi Following updates yesterday the desktop has become unusable. I can't even right or left click on it when I select it. Also I am unable to minimise windows and if I have two files from the same program open (eg excel) it won't let me select the second file. I don't seem...