Windows 10: desktop is showing contents of a different folder

Discus and support desktop is showing contents of a different folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; On my pc,I recently moved my onedrive folder to an external hard drive. The desktop folder, however, stayed in the original ( no longer acting as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GaryDorking, Aug 11, 2019.

1. desktop is showing contents of a different folder

On my pc,I recently moved my onedrive folder to an external hard drive. The desktop folder, however, stayed in the original ( no longer acting as a onedrive folder as such) onedrive folder on c. I went to properties, and moved it to the onedrive folder, then though that actually it might be better to keep it on the system drive. I did properties/ move again ( nominating c/user/ and the desktop folder seems to have disappeared, and the desktop is now showing the entire contents of the onedrive folder. The desktop folder seems to no longer exist. My other laptop and onedrive cloud both have the desktop folder still on it, I hope, but I am stuck with how to re instate the desktop on my Pc.

:)

GaryDorking, Aug 11, 2019
  2. mrgeek Win User

Doc folder contents display on desktop

No, as I pointed out before, your problem is that your left column does not even show a Desktop folder. You need to restore this to see your preferred desktop. Somehow your profile was corrupted and it was renamed Documents like the one on D.

According to your prev post "C:\Users\Tony\Desktop ... folder only contains 3 shortcuts" THIS is the extra 'Documents' folder you need to restore the Default Location of. Figure out which of the two Documents folders this is, then follow Brink's tutorial and just type C:\Users\Tony\Desktop in the Location box in Step 4, continue to create Desktop folder again in Default location.The D:\Tony\Documents with all your content should not be affected; diff location, diff drive, your saved work will still go there.

mrgeek, Aug 11, 2019
  3. Edwin Win User
    Edwin, Aug 11, 2019
  4. Lothar Win User

desktop is showing contents of a different folder

Looking for: Desktop Folder that shows contents on hover/click

I had a program that did this Years. It allowed you to make a folder on the desktop, put anything in the folder you wanted, and instead of opening the folder, you could mouse over it like a right click context menu and have access to those files/shortcuts within the folder, without actually having to open the folder.

Anyone know what that program could be? Thanks.

Seems this forum has robots recording it, here is my post above on another website. They must have copied it - Looking for: Desktop Folder that shows contents on hover/click

Lothar, Aug 11, 2019
Thema:

desktop is showing contents of a different folder

1. desktop is showing contents of a different folder - Similar Threads - desktop showing contents

2. same folder shows different content at the same time!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    same folder shows different content at the same time!: Hi thereTL;DR: the attached screenshot is from the same folder, accessed from quick access vs roottoday I accidentally faced this issue. I was looking for my Xbox recordings folder to send an educational video to my friend. I was unable to find that under my user's folder, so...
  3. same folder shows different content at the same time!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    same folder shows different content at the same time!: Hi thereTL;DR: the attached screenshot is from the same folder, accessed from quick access vs roottoday I accidentally faced this issue. I was looking for my Xbox recordings folder to send an educational video to my friend. I was unable to find that under my user's folder, so...
  4. Lost all content in folders showing empty

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost all content in folders showing empty: This has just happened minutes ago while trying to save a Word doc. The content has gone from my open Word docs, all folders system and personal files are showing empty. I only have icon images and blanks when navigating windows, control panel, etc. There is a Windows...
  5. Difference in size of a folder with its contents

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference in size of a folder with its contents: Hello to all, I have a folder Documents and when I check its properties, Windows 10 x64 shows ~13 GB as its size. But when go within it and select all contents and check for properties (from the context menu) it shows ~3 GB as all of its contents' size. I also checked the...
  6. Can I have Different Folders On Different Desktops???

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I have Different Folders On Different Desktops???: Don't want to bork up my computer so I am asking here first: Can I have different folders and files on different desktops in windows 10? I want to have one desktop that has work-related folders and files that I can access easily, and one desktop that has personal folders...
  7. Looking for: Desktop Folder that shows contents on hover/click

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Looking for: Desktop Folder that shows contents on hover/click: I had a program that did this Years. It allowed you to make a folder on the desktop, put anything in the folder you wanted, and instead of opening the folder, you could mouse over it like a right click context menu and have access to those files/shortcuts within the folder,...
  8. Mouse Hover to Show Folder Contents Preview

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mouse Hover to Show Folder Contents Preview: I am looking to hover over a folder and get a quick read of what is inside while surfing around a poorly organized file system. Is there anything that will let me do this so I don't have to click in and click out of every folder. [img] 108745
  9. Doc folder contents display on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Doc folder contents display on desktop: The contents of my documents folder permanently display all over my desktop. Ive heard this is a common problem but cannot find a resolution Help 76965
  10. Windows not showing folder contents

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows not showing folder contents: I recently bought a new PC with W10 installed and all seems to have gone smoothly with transferring files etc from my old PC to the new machine. I ran Duplicate Cleaner before the transfer and again afterwards as it was obvious there were some folders that had not been picked...