Windows 10: Desktop Location

Discus and support Desktop Location in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just replaced my hard drive and reinstalled W10 Fall Creators Edition. (I know that was overkill, I could have just restored a Macrium image but I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JJG10, Dec 30, 2017.

1. JJG10 Win User

Desktop Location

I just replaced my hard drive and reinstalled W10 Fall Creators Edition. (I know that was overkill, I could have just restored a Macrium image but I am a machochist but I thought it time for a new clean install.)

On the old disk my Desktop was under users/me/Desktop. The new installation has out on One Drive. What is the difference between the two?

And, is there a way to move it from One Drive to users/me Desktop?

Thank you.

:)

JJG10, Dec 30, 2017

2. Desktop Icon locations

Use your mouse to make a selection and highlight all the icons, then drag and drop them to the location on screen.

You can then use one of the suggested solutions by Windows MVP Rob.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Andre Da Costa, Dec 30, 2017
  3. Desktop location is unavaible????

I am not sure if this is going to work, but it seems like a legacy solution for the problem from a previous version of windows.

Solution 1

Additionally I am going to try a tool called "go back" to try to roll back the corrupt installation.

Apparently you can access the file system by opening the recycle bin and navigate to any require windows settings required/file system access.

Fallen_idol, Dec 30, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Desktop Location

Brink, Dec 30, 2017
  5. JJG10 Win User
    Thank you, Brink.

That would, I think, do the job for any new Desktop items. I will try it if I can find how to get to that window. (help please.)

But how can I get all the Desktop stuff that is on Onedrive over to user/me/desktop?

Thanks again.

JJG10, Dec 30, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome.

You can copy or move it from your "%UserProfile%\OneDrive\Desktop" folder to your "%UserProfile%\Desktop" folder to do so.

Brink, Dec 30, 2017
  7. JJG10 Win User
    That seemed too easy but it worked just fine.

Thanks again.

JJG10, Dec 30, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Desktop Location

You're always most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Desktop Location

1. Desktop Location - Similar Threads - Desktop Location

2. I accidentally moved my downloads folder location to desktop. How Do I undo it and get back...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I accidentally moved my downloads folder location to desktop. How Do I undo it and get back...: So, I was trying fix the issue of my downloads not showing in download folder and I moved my downloads folder location to desktopStupid move. How can I undo it without losing my existing files?...
  3. I accidentally moved my downloads folder location to desktop. How Do I undo it and get back...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I accidentally moved my downloads folder location to desktop. How Do I undo it and get back...: So, I was trying fix the issue of my downloads not showing in download folder and I moved my downloads folder location to desktopStupid move. How can I undo it without losing my existing files?...
  4. I accidentally moved my downloads folder location to desktop. How Do I undo it and get back...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. After an update all my files & folders are noww located on my desktop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After an update all my files & folders are noww located on my desktop.: Using Windows 11.. I recently did a Windows update on my 4 month old Dell desktop and now ALL my files are located on my desktop. THEY ARE NOT SHORT CUTS.I called Dell.. BIG MISTAKE.. and they deleted them and had me reload from my backup. It happened again. Then I called...
  6. After an update all my files & folders are noww located on my desktop.

After an update all my files & folders are noww located on my desktop.: Using Windows 11.. I recently did a Windows update on my 4 month old Dell desktop and now ALL my files are located on my desktop. THEY ARE NOT SHORT CUTS.I called Dell.. BIG MISTAKE.. and they deleted them and had me reload from my backup. It happened again. Then I called...
  7. HELP! Desktop, pictures, documents folder location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HELP! Desktop, pictures, documents folder location: Hi all,I have recently moved the location of my desktop, and pictures location from the original to d:Unfortunately, upon moving, I did not create a new photo called d:/desktop, d:/pictures etc, but I merely moved it to the root of D:Now, all my desktop files and picture...
  8. HELP! Desktop, pictures, documents folder location

HELP! Desktop, pictures, documents folder location: Hi all,I have recently moved the location of my desktop, and pictures location from the original to d:Unfortunately, upon moving, I did not create a new photo called d:/desktop, d:/pictures etc, but I merely moved it to the root of D:Now, all my desktop files and picture...
  9. desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive: Hi all,Recently I have played with onedrive big mistake in my windows 11 laptop and accidently caused a lot of issues. After 3 hours, I have fixed most but one problem.My issue now is, the pictures folder, documents and desktop folder are all now saved into the...
  10. desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive

desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive: Hi all,Recently I have played with onedrive big mistake in my windows 11 laptop and accidently caused a lot of issues. After 3 hours, I have fixed most but one problem.My issue now is, the pictures folder, documents and desktop folder are all now saved into the...