Windows 10: Desktop Location

Discus and support Desktop Location in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just replaced my hard drive and reinstalled W10 Fall Creators Edition. (I know that was overkill, I could have just restored a Macrium image but I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JJG10, Dec 30, 2017.

1. JJG10 Win User

Desktop Location

I just replaced my hard drive and reinstalled W10 Fall Creators Edition. (I know that was overkill, I could have just restored a Macrium image but I am a machochist but I thought it time for a new clean install.)

On the old disk my Desktop was under users/me/Desktop. The new installation has out on One Drive. What is the difference between the two?

And, is there a way to move it from One Drive to users/me Desktop?

Thank you.

:)

JJG10, Dec 30, 2017

2. Desktop Icon locations

Use your mouse to make a selection and highlight all the icons, then drag and drop them to the location on screen.

You can then use one of the suggested solutions by Windows MVP Rob.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Andre Da Costa, Dec 30, 2017
  3. Desktop location is unavaible????

I am not sure if this is going to work, but it seems like a legacy solution for the problem from a previous version of windows.

Solution 1

Additionally I am going to try a tool called "go back" to try to roll back the corrupt installation.

Apparently you can access the file system by opening the recycle bin and navigate to any require windows settings required/file system access.

Fallen_idol, Dec 30, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Desktop Location

Brink, Dec 30, 2017
  5. JJG10 Win User
    Thank you, Brink.

That would, I think, do the job for any new Desktop items. I will try it if I can find how to get to that window. (help please.)

But how can I get all the Desktop stuff that is on Onedrive over to user/me/desktop?

Thanks again.

JJG10, Dec 30, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome.

You can copy or move it from your "%UserProfile%\OneDrive\Desktop" folder to your "%UserProfile%\Desktop" folder to do so.

Brink, Dec 30, 2017
  7. JJG10 Win User
    That seemed too easy but it worked just fine.

Thanks again.

JJG10, Dec 30, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Desktop Location

You're always most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Desktop Location

1. Desktop Location - Similar Threads - Desktop Location

2. New Win10 install; files not appearing in search in 'Desktop' or 'Documents' [folder] location

in Cortana
    New Win10 install; files not appearing in search in 'Desktop' or 'Documents' [folder] location: On my previous install of Windows 10, in my 'Documents' folder - so C:\Users\[username]\Documents - I had a folder called 'Utilities' in which I stuffed things like autohotkey scripts and shortcuts to portable apps, so they'd be indexed / searchable. I could just hit the...
  3. Unigram is an unofficial desktop client for Telegram that supports Secret Chat, Location...

in Windows 10 News
    Unigram is an unofficial desktop client for Telegram that supports Secret Chat, Location...: Telegram has a Windows version that is quite good. But it's not the only one that you can use, and I'm not talking about the web-based apps that you may run but a dedicated program. [ATTACH] Unigram is an unofficial desktop client for Telegram. It's open source, and its...
  4. Problem in restoring default location of desktop.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem in restoring default location of desktop.: I have accidentally changed my desktop location in windows 10 to E:drive and I can't able to restore default location. How can I restore default location?...
  5. default desktop and downloads location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    default desktop and downloads location: I basically fused my default Downloads and desktop folders so now anything that goes to my downloads folder also appears on my desktop and vise versa i accomplished this by, going into the properties of both my download and desktop folders and changing the path on the...
  6. Change download location on screen on desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change download location on screen on desktop: [ATTACH] Whenever I download a file from any browser or email, the file is placed directly below the Recycle Bin in the top left. It shifts all other icons down below that instead of putting it in the first available spot located from top to bottom, left to right. Does...
  7. How do I change the desktop location back to its default location?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I change the desktop location back to its default location?: Hi I have a ZBook 17 G3 running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I was copying some files to my external HD. I don't know what I did, but somehow I changed the Desktop's location to the External drive. How do I correct this? I see where to change the location but I'm not...
  8. how do I place a URL showing my home location on my desktop.

how do I place a URL showing my home location on my desktop.: I do not seem to be able to how do I place a URL showing my home location on my desktop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-place-a-url-showing-my-home-location-on/e7cbfec7-a3a5-43c8-b631-c30450d0bec8
  9. Each reboot causes desktop icons to change locations

Each reboot causes desktop icons to change locations: Each time I boot up, my desktop icon arrangement changes. Sometimes they are lined up in two columns on the left side of the desktop which is the normal default arrangement. Other times they are spread out and spaced far apart in a grid across the entire desktop. When they...
  10. My desktop location replaced the personal user's folder in Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My desktop location replaced the personal user's folder in Windows 10...: [ATTACH] Once, I was trying to change the path of my desktop folder, and because of foolishness ... I typed in the new path of the desktop as: C:\users\Majd Haj Hmedy It had to be: C:\users\Majd Haj Hmedy\Desktop and that path will replace the desktop path folder with...